Arizona Chickens

Does anyone else keep lights on 14 hours a day for their hens? I have a friend who does that. Can it affect the hens adversely in any way?
Some of it might also have something to do with what breed that they are. Some breed's are better winter layer's then other's. I have a red Naked Neck hen that has been molting, but is still laying egg's.

Does anyone else keep lights on 14 hours a day for their hens? I have a friend who does that. Can it affect the hens adversely in any way?
Supplemental light may affect how long they are productive ( in years). I subscribe to letting them naturally do things seasonally.

I have lights in one coop but it is more for my convenience when I'm closing things up after dark especially in winter - I turn on right before I close up coops to lure them inside more easily - count - turn off lights - go back to house with a headlamp. I don't supplement light intentionally for egg production.

Supplemental light may affect how long they are productive ( in years). I subscribe to letting them naturally do things seasonally.

I have lights in one coop but it is more for my convenience when I'm closing things up after dark especially in winter - I turn on right before I close up coops to lure them inside more easily - count - turn off lights - go back to house with a headlamp. I don't supplement light intentionally for egg production.
I let nature take it's course with my girl's too. The only light that they might get after it's dark might be from the yard light out by the shed.

It look's like this 2nd batch of egg's got here faster then I expected. The mailman delivered them and I have already unpacked them and have them in an egg carton sitting and resting. When I checked the tracking number yesterday afternoon, it said delivery was going to be on Saturday. Oh well, at least I got them before the holiday package rush that slow's thing's down on delivery's, huh? ;)

The added light needs to be added in the morning, rather than evening. This way chickens go to sleep at dusk like usual. Additional light in morning means chickens wake, and start eating inside coop. They then venture outdoors when run has outdoor light. (how ever long period that may be,,)
Egg farms keep lights on inside 24 hours. Chickens will sleep regardless of light on or off.
I only keep chickens as pets. Eggs are good to have,,,,,, but not that important to my food budget. During winter, I house my chickens inside in my garage loft. I provide 12 hours of light on timer. I also do supplement heat if temps get extremely cold. I only warm up to about 32°F so chickens are accustomed to cold,,, but not subject to extreme cold. I have 3 bantams, and 3 LF. currently.
Even with the 12 hours of light,, I do not get many eggs during winter.

I'm not planning to stress my girls' systems with artificial light, either.

On the way home today, I stopped off at a yard sale and got a life-sized ceramic buff colored chicken. It looks somewhat realistic. Pranking chickens with it is on the agenda for this weekend.:celebrate
What does it look like?

Back
Top Bottom