Arizona Chickens

I forgot to mention that I went shopping at Basha's this past Wednesday when it was senior discount day. We were in line behind a couple that was even older then my hubby and I. They had about a 25 pound turkey that they bought. I guess they wanted to make sure that they had a holiday turkey before the shelves will be empty of those too? Being as they bought it during the senior discount day, they got 10% off.

It look's like that Avian Bird Flu is back again. :( Be careful and keep your flock's safe.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks
I heard a story on local Arizona radio KTAR 92.3 news about if you see (general public) a dead bird double bag it and (something like) report it to (an agency, can't remember which one they said) if you can. It's not even strongly suggested in the news that it be reported or any other precautions to take in handling the dead birds.

I heard a story on local Arizona radio KTAR 92.3 news about if you see (general public) a dead bird double bag it and (something like) report it to (an agency, can't remember which one they said) if you can. It's not even strongly suggested in the news that it be reported or any other precautions to take in handling the dead birds.
Yes, I believe it was put out by the Arizona Game & Fish.

Also look on your local "nextdoor" if you have it in your neighborhood. In Prescott area neighbors sell eggs (cheaper/same as in store) $3-$4 a dozen and you can find duck eggs pretty easy here at a little higher price. You have to pick it up at roadside stands mostly but might be right down the road.
In Chino Valley I see $5 a dozen regularly now.

I think that the egg prices have gone up, because the feed prices have also.
Biggest reality is inflation:(:(:( that we can't do anything about. Other products,, the sellers use shrinkflation. Check boxes of things,,,,, and before they were certain weight,,,, now less, but same size box.:old
Cant do that with eggs. Large are large, and need to conform to size. Medium are medium and also conform to size. Cant mix carton with smaller eggs, and get away with it.

Biggest reality is inflation:(:(:( that we can't do anything about. Other products,, the sellers use shrinkflation. Check boxes of things,,,,, and before they were certain weight,,,, now less, but same size box.:old
Cant do that with eggs. Large are large, and need to conform to size. Medium are medium and also conform to size. Cant mix carton with smaller eggs, and get away with it.
I know, and there's been talk about inflation prices being even worse next year.

Off subject here, but wondering what you experienced ones think. Two of my five pullets are laying eggs. They have only used the nestbox. My question is if I should be concerned that the others may decide to lay elsewhere. Here's the background.

The girls had started digging out a hole when my dripline burst and started wetting that corner (in summer). Now they keep digging that same spot, deeper and deeper.
hole.jpg

Today, I found one of my pullets (she hasn't laid any eggs yet) sitting as in photo. I started wondering whether she's thinking of using it as a nest. Should I just leave it?

...OR, should I try to fill in that hole?

Pretty Girl in hole lr.jpg

Off subject here, but wondering what you experienced ones think. Two of my five pullets are laying eggs. They have only used the nestbox. My question is if I should be concerned that the others may decide to lay elsewhere. Here's the background.

The girls had started digging out a hole when my dripline burst and started wetting that corner (in summer). Now they keep digging that same spot, deeper and deeper.
View attachment 3289137

Today, I found one of my pullets (she hasn't laid any eggs yet) sitting as in photo. I started wondering whether she's thinking of using it as a nest. Should I just leave it?

...OR, should I try to fill in that hole?

View attachment 3289144
I wouldn’t be concerned, I had a hen that never used the box for her eggs.

Are they using the hole for dust baths? The soil looks good for that. On hot days wet it down, they’ll love it.

Back
Top Bottom