Arizona Chickens

I hadn't thought about maybe they went to hurricane affected areas! That would make sense. We need to clean up the backyard (monsoon weeds) and level out the ground then put up the coop. I would definitely need help. The coop is 12x9 as it comes but I want to expand it to 12x18 to house up to 20 hens. We have most of the materials (2x4s, t-posts, hardware, metal frame, litter, toys, feeders, waterers, nest box pads and curtains, etc.). We still need plywood and hardware cloth, which are the most expensive items.

It's been years. She's the homeowner and has the tools and the final say. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be done around the house. She would like a coop and eggs but she's been getting other stuff done first and a coop is not at the top of the list. Also, we've had a serious increase in crime here over the past two years, including stuff stolen right out of our yard in the middle of the day (in summer!) and we're both a little concerned that someone might steal the hens.
Well, if a coop isn't much concern to her, then it's not going to get done even if the price of egg's there were $8.00 a dozen.

I hadn't thought about maybe they went to hurricane affected areas! That would make sense. We need to clean up the backyard (monsoon weeds) and level out the ground then put up the coop. I would definitely need help. The coop is 12x9 as it comes but I want to expand it to 12x18 to house up to 20 hens. We have most of the materials (2x4s, t-posts, hardware, metal frame, litter, toys, feeders, waterers, nest box pads and curtains, etc.). We still need plywood and hardware cloth, which are the most expensive items.

It's been years. She's the homeowner and has the tools and the final say. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be done around the house. She would like a coop and eggs but she's been getting other stuff done first and a coop is not at the top of the list. Also, we've had a serious increase in crime here over the past two years, including stuff stolen right out of our yard in the middle of the day (in summer!) and we're both a little concerned that someone might steal the hens.
Think about buying extra building materials before they stop shipping it to anyone except FL also. I had my DH buy whatever he needed right after the hurricane to dry in the rebuild of the well house (part of it will be a cool room to store garden harvest).

Well, if a coop isn't much concern to her, then it's not going to get done even if the price of egg's there were $8.00 a dozen.

She was pretty upset about that. The idea of having to ration our use of eggs is pretty weird.

She'd love to have hens she just doesn't have building a coop as high a priority as I do. I don't mean to make her seem unreasonable. This is an older house that needs work. If I were the homeowner I'd put that ahead of building a chicken coop, too. I don't have the responsibility of a house so I can focus on having a coop, I just can't do it by myself.

Good morning AZ. I hope you’re all well. We had a lot of dust and wind Monday but only six drops of rain. It cooled off considerably though which was nice. Been busy helping my mom get ready to move and while my back was turned one of the SS went broody :barnieI’m not sure how long she has been sitting or if her eggs are fertile so will have to check them on the weekend.

This popped up on Craigslist this morning. 😏

https://flagstaff.craigslist.org/grd/d/camp-verde-farm-fresh-eggs-by-the-dozen/7542312953.html

They’re in Flagg but it maybe worth the drive.
Also look on your local "nextdoor" if you have it in your neighborhood. In Prescott area neighbors sell eggs (cheaper/same as in store) $3-$4 a dozen and you can find duck eggs pretty easy here at a little higher price. You have to pick it up at roadside stands mostly but might be right down the road.

Speaking about egg's, I do need to boil up another couple dozen of them today because I'm getting too many again and need room in my fridge. Or maybe I can give some again to the local food bank over here like I did a couple of year's ago? They say that the food bank's are having trouble with having enough food to give to all of the people now because less people are donating and more people need help.

Back
Top Bottom