Arizona Chickens

I maybe tried it many moons ago in Mesa but I don't dare do it now - too many mice, rabbits & snakes that would just make a nice burrow here. I think if you're sure you don't have rodents or other pests it could be ok. Anyone in an urban area where there could be roof rats probably shouldn't. Maybe in another climate or if you have a large parcel where it's not near your barn or living spaces.

I know the previous owner here near Prescott had some of it but it was too near our shed with equipment in it so I did away with the bales. The wind here also just allowed those bales to collect terrible foxtail and other weed seeds.
Ok thank you for that info. I'm just thinking about the upcoming food shortage that they have been talking about and trying to think of the best way to start a garden here with having all of the rock's and colitchey in the soil around here. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has been wondering how to manage that.

Ok thank you for that info. I'm just thinking about the upcoming food shortage that they have been talking about and trying to think of the best way to start a garden here with having all of the rock's and colitchey in the soil around here. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has been wondering how to manage that.
I've done raised beds with bagged soil. You can even just plant directly in a bag of soil (poke holes for drainage underneath and holes in top to slip in transplants - this way there's very little opportunity for weeds to plant themselves).

Try this with some lettuce, spinach or other greens this time of year, it should work great with these shallow-rooted plants. Then you can just cover the bag-bed with a plastic bin if it's actually going to freeze overnite if you want. Remove the bin during the day. You might want to mulch the top of bag to keep it cool even in winter in Phx.

This lady on YT has a ton of cheap ideas for patio or raised planters
www.youtube.com/@RobbieAndGaryGardeningEasy

Make sure you save your chicken bedding in a compost pile (age it before you use it on plant beds) to rejuvenate your used soil bags and you can plant things like tomatos or peppers in all that after done with lettuce and greens.

Last edited:
Been doing tons of yard work and redesigning the front yard after we lost one of the mesquites in a storm. I think I’d rather put another mesquite out there, but it’s probably not the best idea. The last one was terribly close to a car when it fell over.
How about a multi-trunk mesquite?

How about a multi-trunk mesquite?
That’s what we had out there. The problem is if the wind knocks it over once it’s big it’ll crush the cars in the driveway. The last one was touching one but only just and did no damage. We’re going with smaller trees and using multiples instead.

Thanksgiving 3.JPG

Back
Top Bottom