Arizona Chickens

Quote:
I need hot weather birds!
thumbsup.gif

OK...chiming in....I think that I am being talked about

We had about 25 days of weather from 95 to 105 last summer.....We are often in the 90's or more all summer long. So not as hot as Phoenix but....it still gets hot here. We do get lower temps in the winter and we do get some snows. I don't think that this is significantly cooler...but you might
wink.png

Yes I do have Delawares....

Hmmmm....I will definitely keep you in mind! How many years have you had them? I gotta say though, your temps do sound a bit more hospitible than ours. It's been a long time since I've been up to your lovely part of the state too.

Quote:
I need hot weather birds!
thumbsup.gif

We had about 25 days of weather from 95 to 105 last summer.....We are often in the 90's or more all summer long. So not as hot as Phoenix but....it still gets hot here. We do get lower temps in the winter and we do get some snows. I don't think that this is significantly cooler...but you might
wink.png

OH! Delawares! No it wasn't you I was talking about but good to know you have them!! By chance do you sell POL? I know... that's like asking for the moon. The chick raising just drives me bonkers sometimes. I wish they could just all get along from day one! Back to wanting a broody... Maybe i could borrow someone's broody since everyone's incubators are all full
wink.png

Quote:
Gallo, they are Delawares
big_smile.png
. They were 12 weeks (couple weeks ago when I took the pics). They are growing fastest of all birds I have, which will make them my prefered meat suppliers if they do well in the summer heat (testing comming up in a few months). Although mine are trying to eat my shoes as well when I get into the coop I don't find it annoying at all. They are just looking for a handout. They are absolutely not shy (which I love) and lead others to food sources because they are so adventurous and seem to be pretty smart as well. I have not had any instances of them destroying anything or being mean to other chickens. If they can cope with the heat, I will absolutely keep them.
thumbsup.gif

So regarding the Delawares...Um...could they possibly be raised to be, I'm embarrased to say it...egg laying lap chickens
tongue.png
? I have been agonizing over what birds to add, how to get at least a couple of youngsters to raise as really friendly hens, but really I do want them to lay eggs, too.

CA your pictures are so sweet! I WANT MORE CHICKENS!!!
droolin.gif

Quote:
Congrats! Wooohooo!
ya.gif

I am so envious of everyone's hatching and incubating and broody hens...this group is really making me chicken-crazy. And to think, for two and a half years I was so satisfied with the 4 we got as 5 week olds...
hmm.png

Quote:

wink.png

OH! Delawares! No it wasn't you I was talking about but good to know you have them!! By chance do you sell POL? I know... that's like asking for the moon. The chick raising just drives me bonkers sometimes. I wish they could just all get along from day one! Back to wanting a broody... Maybe i could borrow someone's broody since everyone's incubators are all full
wink.png

Ok... not talking about me thats no problem.
big_smile.png

I am hatching out 3rd generation so I haven't had them as long as some of the other breeds that I have. I really do love how fast they grow. I find with every generation they get more friendly....I really do think that when you get chicks shipped to you they have such a rough start in life that if you end up with chicks that are friendly at all that is amazing. I only keep the nicest chicks in color and attitude. Bad attitude birds I do not hatch eggs from and usually end up on my friends farms. I am trying to make ALL of my breeds friendly and I am doing a pretty good job with it. It does mean hatching out and trading out birds all the time. So with saying that sometimes I do have POL birds for sale because I just can't keep them all. Good thing that my husband doesn't do chicken math very well, I really don't think that he knows how many I have or hatch. He just sees them coming and going.

I do have incubator space---sometimes wish that everyone was closer...but I love where I live so that wouldn't work. Also, I probably have a couple of the Styrofoam incubators up for trade if anyone is looking.Please just PM or email about them if you are looking.

Quote:
No doubt about their superior egg laying capabilities! And check out the delaware thread. (If I only knew hw to adda link...). It is very active! Disclaimer: I am not going to be responsible for you taking off and buying Dellies tomorrow!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom