Arizona Chickens

Is your yard fenced or walled?

5' wall

Once I train the girls, then I have to train the dog. She has a habit of chasing (and usually catching/killing) anything that moves fast. We find rabbit pieces and leftover dove all the time. She's 10yrs old and still runs like the wind. We have a desert tortoise who roams the yard and she's never cared for him, he's too slow.

Last edited:
So I started a new project over the past week.....building a new coop for the girls!! I am using the Purina Mills plans, but have modified them a little bit. I was able to find a few usefull things at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store including these three panels that someone built for who knows what with the way it had hinges all over and such, but I need a place for the little girls to grow out and repurposed those panels into a small open grow out pen!! I was able to find some roll roofing at the Re-Store and some hardware cloth!! as for paint, I lucked out and picked up a gallon of Oops paint from Lowe's for $7.00 ( the dark brown color on the frame, it was called coffee bean). Here's the panels I converted to a pen Now, here's some progressive shots of the coop....I didn't really take a lot of pics so you don't see all the steps, but hey, you get the idea!! Frame and Floor Front of the coop, my wife wanted to modify it and put the panels on the inside, I like the look, but with me not being the best carpenter I'm glad the uneven cuts are hidden!! Here's the back and roof before the back panel and nest box. Here's the back with the panel and the nest box attached, don't have the lid on the box yet, that's tomorrows goal, along with the doors/panels for the sides. It's been exhausting building this, but I'm know it will make the girls happy!! Here's a shot of all of the girls free ranging together today, the smaller ones are 6 weeks old and the big girls are nearing 12 weeks, there wasn't too much fighting, and it was funny because one of the big girls found something tastey and the small BA girls chased her!!
Fabulous. They will love it.. Thank you for posting your great photos! It is funny when they play "football" as we call it.. "you got! I AM taking it" NO! I AM taking it!! As the little bugger legs are wiggling They are hilarious.. Our's are contained in the coop.. So they all join in.. They drop it to eat it & it is gone in a split second.. GAME ON

I had my first chicken dream last night, and I don't even have chickens yet! I'm getting chicks from Hippie Chicks in a couple of weeks...in my dream, they dropped off the chicks and my RIR chicks turned into big, fat, rats. Meanwhile, rats are running around creating havoc, I was fighting off a giant 4' tall red tail hawk with a rolled up sheet of paper?? to keep her away from the rest of the chicks. Kinda nuts.

BorderChicken and GreatWhite, the coops look great!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/sierra-vista-coop

Hello Arizona chicken people! Haven't posted in this thread. I provided a link to my coop!

Jeff
Welcome! Amazing coop!

I had my first chicken dream last night, and I don't even have chickens yet! I'm getting chicks from Hippie Chicks in a couple of weeks...in my dream, they dropped off the chicks and my RIR chicks turned into big, fat, rats. Meanwhile, rats are running around creating havoc, I was fighting off a giant 4' tall red tail hawk with a rolled up sheet of paper?? to keep her away from the rest of the chicks. Kinda nuts.

BorderChicken and GreatWhite, the coops look great!
I've had more chicken dreams than I can count... I must be subconsciously worried because I am always saving them from something. LOL

Its been an educational adventure. Thanks for all the kind words. We started out with the idea of backyard garden oasis and chickens. We built the coop first. Then we started re-deisigning, re-landscaping the backyard. All this work by two people, doiityourselfers. Then the chicks came. No big deal, right? Little fuzzballs, how difficult can it be? Then they grew up...fast. And eating...and eating...literally everything in site. Our raised veggie beds were the first things on the menu. Soooooo..... a little re-thinking was in order. First, a fence and gate. The girls would have one side of the house, instead of the entire backyard. Simple enough, built the fence, and the gate out of re-claimed pallet wood (oak). Lisa paints it so it fits in with her whole oasis theme. Problem solved. Not so fast.... the chickens decided they could fly over the fence (6 feet) to get to the gardens. So, more re-thinking. Fence extentions built and installed. So far so good. No chickens in the gardens so far making a quick meal out of Lisa's meticulously cared for gardens. I hope I'm smarter than chickens. We put the composter in with the chicken yard, so far they love it. I hope it keeps them occupied and distracted from plotting future escape attempts.

Hi all! I'm not sure anyone will even remember me - it's been quite a while since I was last on. Long story short, I left BYC because my Dad was refusing to help me build a chicken coop, and wouldn't let me build it myself because I'm a girl. Lovely, right? Well, I finally just went out and bought a coop and 6 hens (2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 White Leghorns, and 2 Black Australorps) without telling him. Surprise! He actually seemed okay with it, even though I hadn't discussed it with him. Then later that night when I asked him if I could get turkeys, he agreed. So now I've got 20 turkey poults coming next week. No birds to 26 in just 24 hours!
gig.gif

In the meantime, though, I absolutely love my chickens! I guess I didn't realize quite how personable they can be - even though I was always reading that here - and its so funny to me when I go out to feed the other animals and take care of them, how they chirble at me. Both of the RI are SUPER personable and would honestly prefer that I just carry them around with me everywhere.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I don't have a whole lot of time for online stuff anymore with all the animals (we now have a total of - including turkeys - 61 animals with a calf on the way) and the fact that I am, myself, due with a planned baby on October 30th. So I'm quite busy much of the time! I hope everyone else is doing well!

Happy Chickening!

MaddBaggins, since your area is contained they should be fine as long as the dog doesn't cause problems. I also recommend training them. It really helps when a simple command can get them into the run.

GreatWhiteAfro, it looks good so far. What are your plans for ventilation?

BorderChicken, fantastic job on the coop and welcome to our thread!

gallopingfrog, I remember you! Congratulations on your new birds and the turkeys on the way.

Back
Top Bottom