Arizona Chickens

I have been giving my girls the whole flower and letting them work on it. The seeds are still soft, but taste pretty good. Dose anyone one know if it as as good for chickens as the dried hard seeds? I know with most food plants there are subtotal chemical changes that take place. Example, sugars in onions. Will the seed still help in deworming if that fresh? They love it, I know that.
By the way, I'd never heard that sunflower seeds could be used for a de-worming application. Do you know how/why?

By the way, I'd never heard that sunflower seeds could be used for a de-worming application.  Do you know how/why?

Sunflower seeds are not used for worming. It's pumpkin seed primarily, although any squash is supposed to work. There is a chemical coating on the seeds that paralize the worms, allowing them to be passed out without any problems.

For larger livestock, I recently heard Copenhagen chewing tobacco works really well. When I brought that up to my wife at the movies last week, a guy next to her said Red Man works even better. His horse passed a six-foot tapeworm after a treatment one year. Ironically, Red Man was mentioned four posts later in the thread I had been reading! It's crazy what a random comment can bring up!

Last edited:
Sunflower seeds are not used for worming. It's pumpkin seed primarily, although any squash is supposed to work. There is a chemical coating on the seeds that paralize the worms, allowing them to be passed out without any problems.

For larger livestock, I recently heard Copenhagen chewing tobacco works really well. When I brought that up to my wife at the movies last week, a guy next to her said Red Man works even better. His horse passed a six-foot tapeworm after a treatment one year. Ironically, Red Man was mentioned four posts later in the thread I had been reading! It's crazy what a random comment can bring up!

I have heard of the Red Man and pumpkin seeds...not 100% sure that the evidence is available (other than anecdotal) to convince me to change my method...it certainly won't hurt but it may not be real efficacious either...many long time/veteran prominent poultry breeders (incl. many here on BYC) use Valbazen available at Jeffer's Vet supply online...(big bottle-reasonable cost) It is the only wormer that works on ALL types of worms including the elusive tape worm....I have a bottle..easy to use...just use a syringe to apply it orally once per year at minimum...Many insects and wild birds carry these parasites....worm infestation can negatively affect egg laying and overall condition and thrift of bird. It has a withdrawal period of 2 weeks post initial and follow up dosing again in 10 days...I feed the eggs to my dog or simply toss them. It's worth it to me to 'sacrifice' eggs for a month to ensure the health and vigor of my stock...I like to do it in the Fall. Here in desert southwest, my vet says once a year should be sufficient. All the flock should be done at the same time....birds as young as 16 weeks can be done safely too.
Just my 2 cents on this subject...
Hope it helps anyone looking for worming info here in AZ
smile.png

P.S. CAN WE JUST FAST FORWARD TO NOVEMBER ALREADY??? Anyone with me on this one???
big_smile.png

Az backyard chicken ppl I need your input........when you hatch out chicks, do you vaccinate? If yes, for what? What contagious/ infectious poultry diseases have you dealt with? What is common in the valley, and how can I best protect my flock and my customers from diseases? I ask because I am 6 months into my own hobby, and am becoming amazingly successful in the short time I've been doing it. My hens that I grew from hatchery chicks have all sold (25 of them) no excess roosters, all sold or are going in the freezer. I have been hatching and selling my barnyard mixes, and am working on an aloha flock. My only setback has been a case of brooder pneumonia that was caused by fungus in the feed. Had necropsy ($$$ouch$$) performed, and was diagnosed. I was so alarmed at the contagious diseases that I discovered, that I'd like to know what is reasonable to vaccinate for, in order to minimize disease. I say this because a lot of people have purchased my chickens, and I want to grow my little farm responsibly, without affecting others by my being relatively inexperienced. So what besides mareks do YOU vaccinate for, and what other preventatives can you suggest besides the usual poultry dust, clean water and food, and clean living space.....?

I have heard of the Red Man and pumpkin seeds...not 100% sure that the evidence is available (other than anecdotal) to convince me to change my method...

I was actually reading up trying to find actual evidence for it the other day and several sites said that even a large portion of commercial wormers are not properly tested because it is rather difficult to initially give the worms and parasites to the animals. Theoretically, a healthy animal (or human for that matter), should have enough beneficial flora in their gastrointestinal tract to prevent worms.

To make matters worse, it appears that the worms are becoming increasingly resistant to the commercial wormers, just like bacteria is becoming resistant to antibiotics. The United Kingdom is supposedly in the process of implementing stricter worming regulations, including the requirement of a prescription by a licensed veterinarian. There's no way to become immune to diatomaceous earth, though...

Okay i need some insight!
old.gif
........... My little japanese bantam has this pattern. I see her starting on monday morning to come eat. Then i dont see her until wednesday morning to eat ans that continues throughout the week. I have searched high and low in every single nook and cranny. But she's not anywhere. And she cant fly because i just clipped her wings about a week ago.
Can you follow her after she eats? Are there trees?

Thank you. I spoke to a nice lady (Pastrymama) and she will keep me posted about her upcoming silkies. And thank you to everyone for a great tip!

:barnie
           BAH!!!         :rant        RANT RANT RANT!!!    :mad:      UGH!!!      :hit    City of Phoenix made me get rid of my 2 BEAUTIFUL roosters that I have had for years.           :he              Its SO hard to have chickens  when you cant have a roo.    I so used to look forward to and  LOVED  being surprised  by a hen greeting me in the morning with her new  "secret" brood.    :love      My chickens free range and have lots of hiding places.   I guess I will never have that again.  :(     I don't know why they (the city)  picked on me as many of my neighbors down the street have ROOS and They still have theirs,  even tho the "inspector" comes into our neighborhood at least 2-3 times a week.    ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW HOW TO "HIDE" A ROO  ????    :oops:     Sorry my first post in a LONG time was so negative .  On a nicer note :      HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!                                                                                                                      

Oh boo!! So sorry to hear that .. Some people have just let them roam around the neighborhood.
That happened hear a few times.. Who knows?? We talked to our neighbors & told them we would get rid of
them if they bothered them.. So far so good..

Well I finally got my chicks...8 of them in a nice mix of Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpington's, Black Australorps, and Barred Rocks. It took me months of preparation but we finally got them last night. I had planned on them being close to laying age but found such a nice mix of 3 week olds that I found myself unprepared after all. I had to rig up a heat lamp last night, although I don't think they really needed it. They were from the valley and living outside already. We are up near Yarnell and its a bit cooler here so I turned on the lamp just in case.

This morning I had to run to the feed store for chick starter since I had only purchased layer food. I made them a nipple waterer bottle and they learned how to use it within minutes. Thank goodness I had the forethought to buy some chicken nipples a few weeks ago. I quickly made a waterer out of a dasani bottle.

Now I am just sitting here in the chicken run watching them checking out their new coop. Such pleasure :)

I was just so excited I wanted to share with all you great AZ chicken folks who I have learned so much from by reading your posts here on this forum. Thank you!!!!

I will be sharing all the details on my blog in the next few days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom