Arizona Chickens

If anyone is looking to add to their flock I have 3 Buffs, 2 Barreds and 1 Silver laced. My landlord called me today to tell me she is selling our house
sad.png
. The barreds are 23 weeks old and one just started laying, the Buffs are 21 weeks old and one has been laying for two weeks and the Silver laced is 18 weeks old. I had plans of keeping them for another year give or take and sell them off before we moved to Washington, but due to the new events were just moving into an apartment for the remainder of our time here in Arizona. My favorite Buff lays at 10 am on the spot everyday, she has a better personality then my cat and makes me very sad to have to get rid of her. Pics were taken with a potato so you will have to excuse the quality.

If anyone is looking to add to their flock I have 3 Buffs, 2 Barreds and 1 Silver laced. My landlord called me today to tell me she is selling our house
sad.png
. The barreds are 23 weeks old and one just started laying, the Buffs are 21 weeks old and one has been laying for two weeks and the Silver laced is 18 weeks old. I had plans of keeping them for another year give or take and sell them off before we moved to Washington, but due to the new events were just moving into an apartment for the remainder of our time here in Arizona. My favorite Buff lays at 10 am on the spot everyday, she has a better personality then my cat and makes me very sad to have to get rid of her. Pics were taken with a potato so you will have to excuse the quality.
There is someone named Sherry on the Face book group "Chicken swap of AZ" looking for pullets at point of lay. She is in Queen Creek and mentioned Buffs.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/162698773828108/

sad.png
My neighbor is looking to get started in chickens and wants POL. What are you asking for them?

The wife did not rub any motherly instincts off on Batman. She has completely rejected the chicks so I gave her some eggs. She wasn't even wanting to sit on those. So I put her back in the coop with the others, block the nesting box until morning, and got the heat lamp going for the babies(just in case they want/need it). Last I checked the babies were settling down for the night and Batman was roosted with the other ladies and gentlemen. Maybe she decided chicks were too needy and wasn't going to have any part of raising them. Who knows.....

The wife did not rub any motherly instincts off on Batman. She has completely rejected the chicks so I gave her some eggs. She wasn't even wanting to sit on those. So I put her back in the coop with the others, block the nesting box until morning, and got the heat lamp going for the babies(just in case they want/need it). Last I checked the babies were settling down for the night and Batman was roosted with the other ladies and gentlemen. Maybe she decided chicks were too needy and wasn't going to have any part of raising them. Who knows.....

How long was she sitting before you gave her the chicks? I usually let mine sit for a week or two before trying.

Oh shucks. Guess she wasn't committed to being broody just yet.

SigChef, sorry about the early move. Gotta say, pretty good pictures from a potato!
big_smile.png

What do y'all think? The barred rock is 3 months old this week. There are two barred rocks, but I couldn't catch the 2nd one--looks exactly the same with the comb and wattles a touch smaller. The black copper marans is a couple of weeks older. Cockerels or pullets?

The black copper marans has no copper, I know. My daughter is holding her a little wonky--the bird doesn't have sickle feathers in the back. Her neck feathers are rounded, though laced with black (where the copper should be) so they appear pointy, but really aren't. I thought for sure she was a pullet, and then a couple of weeks ago she popped out those little red wattles. She's probably around 14 weeks old?

Also, this could answer all of my cock/pullets questions. Do cockerels cluck like the pullets? The two known cocks do not cluck--the RIR is huge, but dude still peeps like a chick. The tiny Polish/silkie mix started to crow this week, and other than that, I think he still peeps. All the others cluck like busy bodies--though the Polish/silkie pullets sound dreadful (but a cute dreadful), kinda like sick ducks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom