Arizona Chickens

The info on the State Fair on the chicken part.

I dearly would like to attend the auction, anyone else?

POULTRY:
OWNERSHIP DEADLINE:........................................September 11
ENTRY DEADLINE:..................................................September 24 ARRIVAL.........................Tuesday, October 15, 5:00 pm – 9:00pm JUDGING:......................................................October 16, 9:00 am
SALE OF CHAMPIONS AUCTION.............. Sun., Oct. 27, 4:00 pm
RELEASE: ........................................Sunday, October 20, 5:00

Anyone going to be in it?
holding hands so no one buys anything? lol.
do they sell chickens at all or just the meat turkeys?
i want to take my family to the fair this year but it always ends up being super expensive :(

I'm fighting the urge to get Marans chicks. My year olds just moved in with the big girls so the grow out coop is empty! I already have too many chickens, though.

My leghorns' combs turn purple with humidity too.

Sorry I missed the party. My dear sweet uncle died yesterday and I didn't feel like socializing.
so very sorry to hear about your loss. my condolences to you and your family.

Quote: its possible Laree still has Swedish flowers, but i havent seen her around the boards in a while. maybe alohachickens, she had some a while back to use in a breeding program. mine are crosses.

RRR - when you find out about the saddles can you pass on the info? i would like to get 2, maybe we can split shipping...

ladykodadoria, my family had a great time at your place. talked with DH about helping you finish up your pen and he's on board, just keep us posted on what you are doing and when.
Flower thank you so much for sharing your knowledge, i am glad i learned how to pluck.
was cool meeting more byc peeps.

thanks for the tips sonoran silkies. yea, i might get the wristbands this time. i cant take kids to the fair and not ride the rides, lol. i think we might take the light if it goes that way. i've only been once before, a few years ago.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...wing-protector-and-goose-duck-chicken-diapers

this should take your to the post re. lovmychix saddles and diapers. I did order some and they are very well made, very sturdy.
X2 - I think they are wonderfully made! Here's a few of my girls wearing some of her saddles... It seems my girls get their wings messed up more than their backs, so I get the ones with wing guards more often now. In this photo, they are miffed at me for not letting them out until I took a pic.

Day 1 of lock down, 13 Maran eggs. The darkest one quit, a week ago. Brook them open, learning curve, to check what think I saw candling. A couple had small fetuses flouting is yoke and a little bloody stuff..... Slight Oder, most not even a blood spot. They are a mex of different Marrans, probably Blue and Splash? I hope I will see, and see soon. I keep going in and checking, no peeping or rocking yet. Today is day 19, temp holding 99.5 - 99.7, humidity is more difficult to hold, 75% and up is what I am trying to maintain...... :D I am so new to this it is such an adventure for me, PLEASE :fl tell me the excitement never stops, no mater how may hatches you have, you just stop boarding everyone with it.
Next I have 7 leg horn I hope in the future.

I think I will be keeping most of the LegHorn. Sadly for the Roos its Camp Freezer, but they should be Delicious. The same with the Marans that do not sell and I do not want to keep, including the Pullets. But I have a feeling I will be able to re home them, I have to find out what Marans are selling for at about 3 months, if I wait that long.

I will be training them all down so that they can be handled and pet like. I saw how easy calm chickens went and the hard end for those that were less tame, they were frightened. :/

Day 1 of lock down, 13 Maran eggs. The darkest one quit, a week ago. Brook them open, learning curve, to check what think I saw candling. A couple had small fetuses flouting is yoke and a little bloody stuff..... Slight Oder, most not even a blood spot. They are a mex of different Marrans, probably Blue and Splash? I hope I will see, and see soon. I keep going in and checking, no peeping or rocking yet. Today is day 19, temp holding 99.5 - 99.7, humidity is more difficult to hold, 75% and up is what I am trying to maintain......
big_smile.png
I am so new to this it is such an adventure for me, PLEASE
fl.gif
tell me the excitement never stops, no mater how may hatches you have, you just stop boarding everyone with it.

I think I will be keeping most of the LegHorn. Sadly for the Roos its Camp Freezer, but they should be Delicious. The same with the Marans that do not sell and I do not want to keep, including the Pullets. But I have a feeling I will be able to re home them, I have to find out what Marans are selling for at about 3 months, if I wait that long.

I will be training them all down so that they can be handled and pet like. I saw how easy calm chickens went and the hard end for those that were less tame, they were frightened.
hmm.png

Every hatch is different, thats why I keep doing it! Watching the eggs develop and then getting to see which breeds hatch first still puts me in wonder. In majority of my hatches Ameracuanas and ameraucana mixes hatch first and have the best vitality. The bantams were rocking back and forth vigorously on day 20. This is my first hatch with wellsummers, silkies and orpingtons.

CROSSING MY FINGERS AND TOES FOR YOU!!!! <3 Update us on how the Trader Joe eggs hatch too! They candled well enough.

Some breeds are naturally wild or skittish. I've had a few that I tamed (and rolled like the rest) that wanted nothing to do with as they approached laying age. The Marans i've met have been sweet and little slower moving. I imagine your luck will be good with them.

MandyFitch: If you want to find a no-kill home for your rooster, the good news is that its easier to find homes for desirable breeds, and Marans and Lavender anythings are popular right now. On the other hand, 50% of all chicks are male, and the ideal ratio of males to females in a flock is somewhere between 1:6 and 1:10, depending on who you ask, which means that the vast majority of roosters are out of a job. Personally, I have trouble processing roosters that I've raised from a chick, so I generally pass my roos on to someone who is going to eat them, and I have other people who send their extraneous roos to me for the same reason. The way that I look at it is that a back yard raised rooster has a good life with plenty of fresh air, sunshine and treats, and will have a quick, humane death. That is better than what 99% of the chickens eaten in this country get, so by increasing the supply of humanely reared chicken meat, you're helping to decrease the total amount of suffering experienced by chickens.

City Farm: Bleach makes me sick as well, but I'm paranoid enough about mold that I make an exception. Last time I needed bleach, I got the 'linen scent' kind at my sister's suggestion, and it didn't make me as sick as regular bleach.

Day 1 of lock down, 13 Maran eggs. The darkest one quit, a week ago. Brook them open, learning curve, to check what think I saw candling. A couple had small fetuses flouting is yoke and a little bloody stuff..... Slight Oder, most not even a blood spot. They are a mex of different Marrans, probably Blue and Splash? I hope I will see, and see soon. I keep going in and checking, no peeping or rocking yet. Today is day 19, temp holding 99.5 - 99.7, humidity is more difficult to hold, 75% and up is what I am trying to maintain...... :D I am so new to this it is such an adventure for me, PLEASE :fl tell me the excitement never stops, no mater how may hatches you have, you just stop boarding everyone with it.

I will be training them all down so that they can be handled and pet like. I saw how easy calm chickens went and the hard end for those that were less tame, they were frightened. :/

Every hatch is different, thats why I keep doing it! Watching the eggs develop and then getting to see which breeds hatch first still puts me in wonder. In majority of my hatches Ameracuanas and ameraucana mixes hatch first and have the best vitality. The bantams were rocking back and forth vigorously on day 20. This is my first hatch with wellsummers, silkies and orpingtons.  

CROSSING MY FINGERS AND TOES FOR YOU!!!! <3 Update us on how the Trader Joe eggs hatch too! They candled well enough.

Some breeds are naturally wild or skittish. I've had a few that I tamed (and rolled like the rest) that wanted nothing to do with as they approached laying age. The Marans i've met have been sweet and little slower moving. I imagine your luck will be good with them. 

You guys are doing great.. Can't wait to see them..

Back
Top Bottom