Arizona Chickens

:eek: That is very strange. It is more common stealing game cocks, or mistaking Phoenix as fighting cocks. I have cox security, 2 camera's outside. I have thought of a 3rd on the coop. Or a drop cam like my mom has. I do not have a computer to support it recording, very low on my priority list.

ep.gif
That is very strange. It is more common stealing game cocks, or mistaking Phoenix as fighting cocks. I have cox security, 2 camera's outside. I have thought of a 3rd on the coop. Or a drop cam like my mom has. I do not have a computer to support it recording, very low on my priority list.

maybe a game cam that just takes stills? That way if anything ever happened you could at least upload the pics from the card to the PC. I'm thinking of one so I can see what else is stalking my birds besides the fox

We just had a hawk attack right in front of my eyes (I was inside at the kitchen table.) The birds free range unsupervised most of the day, although when I'm home I like to close them out of the coop off and on so the pigeons don't eat their feed. Thankfully I had left the door to the unused run open so some ran in there and some hid under trees. I felt so bad that they couldn't run into the closed coop.

Since I saw it, I was able to run, screaming outside. The hawk was smallish and I watched him come in for the grab but I guess he got distracted because he missed and then flew into a tree for a while and then flew off.

Guess that's the end of unsupervised free ranging for awhile...

Just talked to the neighbors and we think we figured out who stole my chicks. There were two young Hispanic boys running up and down the alley yesterday. They tried to climb over my neighbor's fence and he stopped them. They asked him, if he wanted his Bantam rooster. He told them to get out! Later they were caught in ANOTHER person's property, a few doors down from us, trying to corner a loose rooster and they kicked them out again!

They were later spotted running down the street with a rooster under their arm and carrying an orange Home Depot bucket. I am betting that it was after I fed and watered last night, and that my peeps were inside. SIGH.

When the neighbor asked where did they live, the kids said they were on vacation and staying with their uncle. Let's hope they go back home to Hades where they belong, the obnoxious brats. Thanks to them, not only did I lose my valuable chick, but they let the cage open in the process, and now three of the loose remaining chicks escaped and were killed by my dogs today! So of about a dozen chicks, they stole about half, and then the six that I had this morning on the coop floor are down to three. (I have no idea how they are escaping the coop, I thought they were safe in there, sigh!)

Anyway, mystery solved. A game camera is a FANTASTIC idea!!!

Last edited:
OMG, I can't believe I am even typing this becuase it is so freaky! Someone broke in and stole some of my chicks last night! That is not a typo . . . they stole CHICKS. I went out to feed, and I had just moved about a dozen three week old chicks into this rabbit hutch in my coop. They were moved out there day before yesterday. I came out there, and the huch door is hanging open! I double-checked it last night so I know I didn't leave it open. Then, I look beside the coop, and OMG - someone cut a hole in the fence!!! Like about 18" in diameter! BUT - the open latch is the MIDDLE of the coop, not the latch next to the fence. So I look up, and we have chicken wire attached to our chain link (to keep the hens from flying into the alley) and it's been lifted up! It appears they tried to cut a hole, then just decided to climb over the fence! ***!!! It could have been so much worse, they left my adult hens and roos alone, thank God. And the hen shown in the pics with her babies - she was in the cage next door!!! My boyfriend already wired the hole shut, I wish I got pics before he did so you guys could see it: See the funky wiring there? That's the hole. I didn't even think to take a pic of the top of the fence before he fixed that. I should have just because this is so bizarre. ANYWAY, the missing chicks are a Blue Silkie, and a Buff Sussex with a green leg band. No pics, darn it, but both were three weeks as of yesterday. They also took several Aloha chicks that were buff and striped. About six of the dozen chicks are missing. Seriously, folks, I sell chicks for just $1 to $2 each. You didn't need to break into my backyard for that. Tell me this is not the weirdest chicken story you're going to hear for a while. Location of the theft is 67th Ave and Van Buren, in case you see a guy on a street corner trying to pawn a Blue Silkie and a buff chick with a green leg band. LOL. ("Pssst, hey there, I got a great deal on a Silkie for you . . .")
Wow you are just down the street from me. I hope you find out who did it! Poor little chicks!

Just talked to the neighbors and we think we figured out who stole my chicks. There were two young Hispanic boys running up and down the alley yesterday. They tried to climb over my neighbor's fence and he stopped them. They asked him, if he wanted his Bantam rooster. He told them to get out! Later they were caught in ANOTHER person's property, a few doors down from us, trying to corner a loose rooster and they kicked them out again!

They were later spotted running down the street with a rooster under their arm and carrying an orange Home Depot bucket. I am betting that it was after I fed and watered last night, and that my peeps were inside. SIGH.

When the neighbor asked where did they live, the kids said they were on vacation and staying with their uncle. Let's hope they go back home to Hades where they belong, the obnoxious brats. Thanks to them, not only did I lose my valuable chick, but they let the cage open in the process, and now three of the loose remaining chicks escaped and were killed by my dogs today! So of about a dozen chicks, they stole about half, and then the six that I had this morning on the coop floor are down to three. (I have no idea how they are escaping the coop, I thought they were safe in there, sigh!)

Did you call the police? After all theft is theft and if not caught they are just going to do it again....

First let me say I'm sorry for your loss.
I hope they catch the brats! If you can, spread the word with the rest of your neighbors too. Did you inform the police dept.?
I used a game cam to find out what was getting into my garden last year. And used one recently when I saw something tried to dig under my chicken run. (my ground was too froze for the digger to get very deep. So far all I have spotted are some crows). Around my neck of the woods a predator would be shot.

Hey everybody. Is there a lab in the Tucson area that does necropsys? I have a 5-6 month old pullet that I'm very very concerned may have Marek's. She has been declining over the past 6 days or so, and currently can't stand or walk at all and has little interest in food. Has anyone in Tucson gotten a Marek's diagnosis? If so, how did you go about finding out?

You could check with the University of Arizona Veterinary Diagnostic Lab. They necropsied a cockatiel for me several years ago. Don't know what budget constraints have done to their fees or services. Their contact info is on their website:

http://www.cals.arizona.edu/vdl/old_site/AzVDL/index.shtml

If the bird dies don't freeze it. Just put it in the refrigerator until you can get it to the lab. If you freeze it they can't do a proper necropsy, or get cultures.

You could check with the University of Arizona Veterinary Diagnostic Lab. They necropsied a cockatiel for me several years ago. Don't know what budget constraints have done to their fees or services. Their contact info is on their website:

http://www.cals.arizona.edu/vdl/old_site/AzVDL/index.shtml

If the bird dies don't freeze it. Just put it in the refrigerator until you can get it to the lab. If you freeze it they can't do a proper necropsy, or get cultures.
I would love to know what this is running today as well. When I checked on it years ago it was going to be VERY expensive, like $250 with shipping pretty much. UGH.

Did you call the police? After all theft is theft and if not caught they are just going to do it again....
I didn't call the police because I don't feel we really have enough to go on. Saying a couple of little boys did it, in a neighborhood located smack between two different elemenatary schools, LOL, not sure what they could do with that! Especially since I did not see them myself, so I can't ID anyone personally.

Oh, and there was a big DEA bust (with armored car and SWAT team) three houses up from us only a few weeks to go. So I think they have bigger fish to fry in my barrio. We have a rough neighborhood but luckily I have some great neighbors who look out for the goofy white girl who plays with chickens.

However, I told the neighbors (the ones who asked where they lived and SAW them) to tell the kids if they show up again, that they have a "friend" who wants to give away chickens and could bring them over. Maybe if the kids show up again and are really dumb, they will give a house address for the "delivery". Then I'd call the police and go try and confront them!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom