Arizona Chickens

Our lotus pond plant is growing is growing so wonderfully ..:weee

I'm thinking about getting some Penedesencas the next time I get chicks to raise, they keep coming up anytime I search for heat tolerant breeds, plus they have high production and beautiful very dark eggs. Anyone here have any? It would be great to get some locally but I'll probably have to ship some from out of state.
There is a website for them http://www.penedesencausa.com/breeder-info.html looks like the closest breeder is CA. This breed is not in the APA standard so you will not find as many people interested in them since they cannot compete to win in shows. They have a carnation comb which on any other breed in the standard would disqualify them. I believe some of the Marans' lines had some Penedescenda bred into them because we sometimes have to cull birds that have carnation comb. Maybe that is helping the Marans to be heat tolerant, who knows. I just know whenever I see that carnation comb, they are culled, I won't even sell the pullets that have it, lest someone less knowledgeable might breed them down the road.

Whew finally caught up on all the posts. I am very sorry to see everyone that has lost birds. We lost Phoebe our Avatar this past weekend as well. I think it was more than just the heat unfortunately but I do understand the feeling of loss everyone is going threw. I am happy to say my wife and I will be heading down to Tucson to see Desertmarcy tomorrow to pick out a couple birds to add to our flock. Really excited to see her place sicne she has helped so much with questions in the past. Hope everyone stays cool today.

Like a true mother. Trying to get better to cook for other people.

I myself and having the pleasure of doing a 2 day prep for a Colonoscopy/Endoscopy tomorrow. Glued home and to you know what and can't eat anything solid until tomorrow afternoon.
hope you fair well good luckand have a meal ready for yourself when you're done for some good orange juice!I loved your article that was cute roosters and wild chickens in Phoenix!! :)

There is a website for them http://www.penedesencausa.com/breeder-info.html looks like the closest breeder is CA. This breed is not in the APA standard so you will not find as many people interested in them since they cannot compete to win in shows. They have a carnation comb which on any other breed in the standard would disqualify them. I believe some of the Marans' lines had some Penedescenda bred into them because we sometimes have to cull birds that have carnation comb. Maybe that is helping the Marans to be heat tolerant, who knows. I just know whenever I see that carnation comb, they are culled, I won't even sell the pullets that have it, lest someone less knowledgeable might breed them down the road.
I'll take a pullet if you're ordering when you do let me know!I wouldn't mind having a jersey giant that what's his name Carnivore has in you Tucson..... :D

It's 108 here right now and my chickens are out in the sun, sunbathing!
th.gif

I had to lure them back into the shade for my own piece of mind. Crazy little chickies!

We are adding a patio, some whatever home depot delivers..
idunno.gif

The reason I ask, is because I was told to use river sand, but, I don't know if it has silica in it, because silica is supposed to be bad for the chickens lungs.
Also, trying to find out how people have liked the sand and if they have kept using it. Most post about it are about a year old, know matter what forums I have looked on.

How long have you had sand?
And what kind of sand do you use?

I got the sand from Home Depot - the kind used in kid's sandboxes. The sand has been here for about 3 years but it was several tons delivered & had a different purpose originally. It seems to hold the moisture longer than regular soil & unlike soil it does not mold.

Back
Top Bottom