Arizona Chickens

Updated the coop this week with some new watering techniques. Ran piping with chicken cups both inside and outside.Can't really see the cups inside here but drilled a hole through the 2 x 4 to run the cups on the inside. Hooked up to a cooler on the outside so we can fill it easily and add ice to keep it cool. Also have a cooler inside the coop with chicken nipples. Now just have to add some windows to the hen house for the girls.

Updated the coop this week with some new watering techniques. Ran piping with chicken cups both inside and outside.Can't really see the cups inside here but drilled a hole through the 2 x 4 to run the cups on the inside. Hooked up to a cooler on the outside so we can fill it easily and add ice to keep it cool. Also have a cooler inside the coop with chicken nipples. Now just have to add some windows to the hen house for the girls.

This picture makes me think that you have hired a draftsman who made blueprints. Strained wood etc, I am impressed
ep.gif

Thanks I have a lot of sweat equity in it! I actually built everything myself with the help of my wife. We have made some changes since originally building it a year ago. We actually didn't stain the wood. It was a non-toxic wood conditioner that aged the wood from the beginning but it supposed to help keep it from rotting.

Looks great!

Thanks I have a lot of sweat equity in it! I actually built everything myself with the help of my wife. We have made some changes since originally building it a year ago. We actually didn't stain the wood. It was a non-toxic wood conditioner that aged the wood from the beginning but it supposed to help keep it from rotting. 
Did you post other pics that I missed? It looks great.

Today is day 10 for my incubating eggies and I decided to try candling again.  Much better this time, figured out the process a bit better.  I saw movement in some, whoo hoo!  I even managed to get a decent look into those dark dark Marans eggs tonight.  Looks like one isn't doing much, but I'm going to wait a bit longer on it.  The Ameracaunas all have veining, large dark areas and some even showed some movement.  Looks like so far I have 13 viable eggs out of the original 15. 

Eggcited for sure!

CongratulEGGtions!

Anyone know a good way to get rid of mosquitoes? We have thousands of them right now and my dogs get covered in them when they go outside and then they bring them inside and there driving us nuts.

be sure you don't have any standing water that is out for more than 2 days. Make sure to refill the water every 2 days make sure there's no baskets planters there anything that can collect water. Make sure your neighbors don't have a pool that standing that they're not taking care of,...even a children's pool.

I'm calling out for help here from my fellow valley BYCers.

My wife and I have put in our 30 day notice so if you all wouldn't mind keeping an ear/eye open for us a new place. The house we're in is too large and we're downsizing. The reason I'm asking here is because of course we're looking for a place that we can keep the chickens.

Looking for something small like 1000 sq ft and smaller, that allows chickens and our dog. The DW works downtown but doesn't mind driving. Open to anywhere in the valley pretty much.

Thank you so much for any help with leads.

in my neighborhood most of the houses are close to a thousand square foot. But we have Older landscape so you might be able to do something for a chicken area.most the homes are built between the forties and fifties. But its in Mesa and its near three freeways.PM me if you'd like me to take a look and get you a phone number.

please tell me the name of the non toxic wood conditioner you use, it looks really nice like you stained it. :) pretty!

Last edited:
moms3cuties - The wood preserver is called ECo Wood Treatment. I was able to get it online at Home Depot. Haven't found it anywhere locally. It is really easy to use. Just buy a pump sprayer and know that anything that it touches including clothes will stain. My coop is nearly a year and half old and no rotting wood or anything. I love the stuff. Gives it a nice aged look.

Also we got our first two eggs from the 5 month old Black Copper Marans we received from Desertmarcy a week ago. The first was tiny and cute and the second is a great chocolate color and almost the size of a normal egg.

Back
Top Bottom