Arizona Chickens

A big THANKS to moms3cuties and K9Dave for picking up some of our hens today.  It was great to meet both of you!

We still have 3 EE's left (2 rust colored and one white) and one Maron if  anyone is interested in adding to your flock.

Just talked to some neighbors that would like to start raising chickens. By chance do you have a coop? They don't..

Last edited:
Bumblefoot? ???? I think so but no swelling that I can tell. It's on both her feet.

I have Since sprayed a grapefruit seed extract on there after washing off the feet I probably should cut out the sores & wrap them. ANY VOLUNTEERS to help Operate? ?

:duc

Agh, yes I could help.. Call me

I finally got around to getting some pics of my girls. They will be one year old at the end of September. I can't believe I've had them this long! I was mentioning how one of them (Snoopers) had all these light feathers suddenly. I wanted to capture how much different she looks than her sisters. They are production hatchery RIR's purchased at Pratts. Here she is pic one. Here is another one of my pretty girl! By contrast her sister Dot, the bossy pecker hen! We have bands on both legs so we can see her coming from any direction! All the rest of my girls have this coloring. Snoop in the foreground, Lemon with the light colored wing, Leticia showing off her fuzzybutt! Snoopy again. We are finally getting some of the rain y'all had this evening. Not buckets but it is lightly sprinkling and it's dropped into the low 80's.
What pretty girls! Thanks for posting pics of them. I need to get some updated pics of mine, they are so pretty. I have good news and bad news. Good news, one of my girls burst out with the "egg song" this morning with our very first egg! and I hurried out to find my surprise. Bad news, she laid it in the dust bath tub and it was soft shelled and broken open. :( Drat! Hoping the next one will be a bit harder shelled and in the dang nest box. We shall see. LOL Good news, all 4 chicks are doing fine, eating, drinking, pooping and cheeping. My gooey chick still has some stuck stuff on her/his head but Is mostly fluffy now. Bad news, I am on day 23 with no signs of activity in the remaining eggs. Having to open the bator to deal with the gooey chick likely compromised the remaining eggs. There might be hope for the Marans, but I think the Ameracaunas are done for. I'll candle tonight and look for signs of life but I'm not hopeful. I'm sad to have a poor hatch rate, but very happy that 4 chicks hatched and are doing well at this point. It's been a good experience and I will probably do this again. LOL And, I have a variety! 1 Black Copper Marans, 1 Amaeracauna, 1 Blue Lace Wyandotte, and 1 Barnvelder. How cool is that??:yiipchick
That is too cool.. I would give it a few more days. Have you candled any of the eggs? @kpgoldstar I think your hen that has the lighter feathers is pretty. Makes it nice to be able to tell the difference..

That is too cool.. I would give it a few more days. Have you candled any of the eggs?

@kpgoldstar I think your hen that has the lighter feathers is pretty. Makes it nice to be able to tell the difference..

I plan to candle later tonight. No expecting good news tho', but I'll keep hoping.

Quote:
We have a small coop we used for new pullets (or chicks) or for isolation similar to the one in the top picture below. Our larger area for the adults is a permanent dog run between two houses and we have 2 Little Tyke Playhouses up on platforms for our hen house. If they are interested in taking all of the remaining 4 chickens we may be able to work out giving them one or both of the houses (they are on separate platforms). (see lower pictures below) Due to health issues you (they) would need to bring some help to move the platforms but the houses can be broken down.

I'm by no means an expert but my larger BO had similar looking sores on both her feet. I was ready to do surgery but noticed no redness or swelling to indicate an infection. I decided to watch and wait. Since we have gravel in our yard I wrapped her feet with a little gauze to help add cushion and they did heal by without any other intervention. I hope it's not bumble foot!
Bumblefoot? ???? I think so but no swelling that I can tell. It's on both her feet.

I have Since sprayed a grapefruit seed extract on there after washing off the feet I probably should cut out the sores & wrap them. ANY VOLUNTEERS to help Operate? ?

:duc

A big THANKS to moms3cuties and K9Dave for picking up some of our hens today. It was great to meet both of you!

We still have 3 EE's left (2 rust colored and one white) and one Maron if anyone is interested in adding to your flock.
I will be in superior this weekend if you still have them I could meet you somewhere to get them.

Quote: Sorry to say I do not think that would be physically possible at this time as I am recovering from hip surgery and am wearing a brace that makes it difficult to ride in the car for more than a few minutes. If you would like to make the drive to Mesa (I60 and Dobson area) we would be happy to work out arrangements with you.

Back
Top Bottom