Arizona Chickens

A cooler. Now why didn't I think of this! I bet this helps keep their water cooler in our horrendous summers. At first I wanted to do an automatic waterer. But I have no trees in my yard at all. So....yeah that's gonna be difficult to keep cool. A local nursery has Moringa trees though so I'll probably go get a couple of those to plant on the west side of the coop. So much to do...why can't there be more hours in the day?

I just picked up a new flock of chicks: 4 barred rocks, 3 Rohd Island Reds, 3 Leghorns and 2 Black Austrolorps. I have them in my smal coop in the garage right now and am doing some revamping to my larger coop. I recently moved out to Queen Creek from Gilbert and now have to keep my flock safe from real predators. I called the western Ranch store and it looks like I will be spending about $260 for a 100ft roll of 16ga 1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh. That is a little more than I was expecting but it seems to be about the norm. I will post a few pictures of the progress as I go. Thanks for the replies.

- Scott
At least you'll have peace of mind knowing your flock is protected from predators.

A cooler. Now why didn't I think of this! I bet this helps keep their water cooler in our horrendous summers. At first I wanted to do an automatic waterer. But I have no trees in my yard at all. So....yeah that's gonna be difficult to keep cool. A local nursery has Moringa trees though so I'll probably go get a couple of those to plant on the west side of the coop. So much to do...why can't there be more hours in the day?
You can always use lots of shade cloth until your trees grow up.

If we had more hours in the day we'd all need new clocks.
yippiechickie.gif

This guy has gone missing. we let him live in the front yard, we did not want him to fight with our other rooster. he could mess up his comb. So now we have another rooster, a bielefelder. He is such a sweet dude. P.M. us if interested..

Maybe he just went looking for greener pastures? I hope he turns up.

Put the no crow collar on big boy. He is in the coop, probably very upset that he can't sleep..

:cd other chicken news;
Cheryl, that is sitting on the egg's from @moms3cuties
Kicked out a BCM egg.. " little BCM" egg.. It was cold to the touch.. So that one might not make it..

it seems interesting as they know which eggs to sit on and or not, ,, OR they just like the other better, lol! .... Who knows though, I really don't!

thanks for the update, keep us posted dear friend!

Cheryl has not kicked it out again. I will candle later this weekend.. She has no problem with me fussing under her... She is a fabulous mom...

Put the no crow collar on big boy. He is in the coop, probably very upset that he can't sleep..

:cd other chicken news;

Cheryl, that is sitting on the egg's from [@=/u/280887/moms3cuties]@moms3cuties[/@]

Kicked out a BCM egg.. " little BCM" egg.. It was cold to the touch.. So that one might not make it..

I hope he does OK with it.  I know it's quite an adjustment for them.  If he only knew the alternative...:eek:

So true :goodpost:
He is in the front yard if you want to come by and get him. He is easy to pick up and a very sweet boy. So far I have not heard him crow with the collar. He has a gurgle sound, as though he is trying.. He is much quieter than the girls..

I just picked up a new flock of chicks: 4 barred rocks, 3 Rohd Island Reds, 3 Leghorns and 2 Black Austrolorps. I have them in my smal coop in the garage right now and am doing some revamping to my larger coop. I recently moved out to Queen Creek from Gilbert and now have to keep my flock safe from real predators. I called the western Ranch store and it looks like I will be spending about $260 for a 100ft roll of 16ga 1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh. That is a little more than I was expecting but it seems to be about the norm. I will post a few pictures of the progress as I go. Thanks for the replies.

- Scott

Can't wait to see your set up.. If you go to Gallo's home page he has a ton of photo's of how he secured his flock.. He has large preditors that roam threw his property.. Also, desertmarcy has secured her place as well.. You should go check out her place..

So true
goodpost.gif

He is in the front yard if you want to come by and get him. He is easy to pick up and a very sweet boy. So far I have not heard him crow with the collar. He has a gurgle sound, as though he is trying.. He is much quieter than the girls..

Quieter is good! A couple of my girls are way loud, they might need to go live with my sister's flock in Rio Verde.

After 3 months of building and preparing I am ready for chicks. I really only wanted to start with about 6; however, I am having trouble getting less than 15 before June. I want specific breeds and don't want to wait three more months! Any ideas?

Where did you buy your stock? I live up in New River and I am anxious to fill my new coop and run! I only want 6 hens and most hatchery's have 15 minimum until June.

After 3 months of building and preparing I am ready for chicks. I really only wanted to start with about 6; however, I am having trouble getting less than 15 before June. I want specific breeds and don't want to wait three more months! Any ideas?

What breed(s) are you looking to get and where are you buying them from? Do you want started chicks, or do you want to hatch your own? There are a few local breeders for some breeds that might help you get started with better quality birds than you would get from one of the big hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom