Arizona Chickens

I use a flower pot with a screen on top. Dirt in the bottom, poop, then predators, then screen topped off with a brick or rock. Nobody bothers them and the flies are much better this year than last. I split mine between two pots.

I haven't had much of a problem with flies. Of course, there are some there, but being a horse person, maybe my tolerance for flies is better than some people's? Anyhow I think all the flies must've been migrating to my neighbor's veranda because I got a complaint from their landlord. They run misters for their three (not so nice) German shepherds. I'm thinking the flies like the cool and wet over there?

When I showed the neighbor's landlord my pen that is nearest his property line he was stunned how few flies there were.

I bought this "black copper marans" roo when he was a chick, and he looked like the typical black copper marans chick. But within the last month, his feathers have been turning blue. Does that mean that he might be a blue copper marans?

Anyone?

Not all HOAs are against chickens. I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and my chickes are fine here. In fact, my neighbors love that I have chickens. Just make sure you read the CC&Rs and talk to the neighbors. The wrong neighbors can cause trouble anywhere.
I was hoping that someone could help me narrow it down a bit. I only moved here from WA last year. I don't need to stay in Peoeia, just preferably on this side of the vally. close enough to the MIL to visit but not close enough to drop in.

I observed the birds from quality breeders verses hatcheries tend to be more friendly. Barred rocks probably so so and Black Copper Marans are pretty friendly if u raise them from hand from young, even if they are not friendly when you get them; they still warm up to you if you start handling them and feeding them treats. Orpington seem to be pretty friendly if you handle them.
Ask@ChuskaMtns as she has exotic, white etc orpington birds. They are dual purpose bird (meat & eggs)and a much bigger bird than any production/hatchery breed. Her orpingtons are way bigger than hatchery Australorps and really anything else. You must keep them cool in the summer. Cool wet ground, pools, fans etc as you would any other bird.
I have heard Easter Eggers do well with heat but they are production birds, are not very friendly and lay green eggs. Or of 5 I lay one to the heart this summer. I don't expect them to lay as long since they are production/hatchery birds.
I have some Amerucanas(blue) who if handled are pretty friendly and lay a blue egg. Desertmarcy in Tucson sells chick's and pullets from time to time.
I have enjoyed my one leghorn, who can be friendly, but this breed is particularly flighty. So it depends if you handle them or not. They are good daily layer of white eggs.
I would always get at least one or two silkies for a family as they are very friendly, but their eggs are very small and they tend to go broody and try to sit on eggs or ceramicor wooden trying to hatch them. Super sweet birds! Even the roos are sweet! I do not have any as of yet.
I'm planning on being pretty hands on with my birds. I think we'll start with a small laying flock at first and add a roo later. Ideally I will start with chicks and get them very used to me. Silkies look so cute! I would worry about the kids wanting to cuddle it too much.

I observed the birds from quality breeders verses hatcheries tend to be more friendly. Barred rocks probably so so and Black Copper Marans are pretty friendly if u raise them from hand from young, even if they are not friendly when you get them; they still warm up to you if you start handling them and feeding them treats. Orpington seem to be pretty friendly if you handle them.
Ask@ChuskaMtns as she has exotic, white etc orpington birds. They are dual purpose bird (meat & eggs)and a much bigger bird than any production/hatchery breed. Her orpingtons are way bigger than hatchery Australorps and really anything else. You must keep them cool in the summer. Cool wet ground, pools, fans etc as you would any other bird.
I have heard Easter Eggers do well with heat but they are production birds, are not very friendly and lay green eggs. Or of 5 I lay one to the heart this summer. I don't expect them to lay as long since they are production/hatchery birds.
I have some Amerucanas(blue) who if handled are pretty friendly and lay a blue egg. Desertmarcy in Tucson sells chick's and pullets from time to time.
I have enjoyed my one leghorn, who can be friendly, but this breed is particularly flighty. So it depends if you handle them or not. They are good daily layer of white eggs.
I would always get at least one or two silkies for a family as they are very friendly, but their eggs are very small and they tend to go broody and try to sit on eggs or ceramicor wooden trying to hatch them. Super sweet birds! Even the roos are sweet! I do not have any as of yet.
I'm planning on being pretty hands on with my birds. I think we'll start with a small laying flock at first and add a roo later. Ideally I will start with chicks and get them very used to me. Silkies look so cute! I would worry about the kids wanting to cuddle it too much.

I don't think silkies could be over cuddled or over handled, there pretty much a lap bird, from what I've learned from my friends and seen with a silkie Roo!
please check the different cities on the regulations for poultry and that kind of livestock. That may help you in case nobody here answers.

Just don't rent in a HOA.. I am sure some will chime in as to where on that side of town you can have them.. Really just about anywhere, I think..
What breeds do you want?
I would love Australorps but I'm still researching who does best in the heat. They also need to be sweet because of the kids (age 5 to 1) Australorps sound like good layers while still being big enough to eat the "extra" birds.

There are so many choices.. We have not lost a chicken to the heat.. We have isbar's, WA, silkie,biefielder,Millie Fluer, Salmon Feverolles and a barn yard mix..
By far our silkie, Salmon Feverolles, Millie Fluer & biefeilders are the friendliest.. The Noel, is a wonderful layer..

We use fly preditors from Spalding labs.. A big difference.. I would not feed dried up fly's to chciken's they carry tapeworm.. Duck's eat fly's & Muscovy's duck's will eat small rodents ..

Where do you initially put the fly predators out if the bag/box?

In areas that our chickens won't go, and behind old log's..

Where do you initially put the fly predators out if the bag/box?

I use a flower pot with a screen on top.  Dirt in the bottom, poop, then predators, then screen topped off with a brick or rock.  Nobody bothers them and the flies are much better this year than last.  I split mine between two pots.

I like your idea, @Sill had a good one as well.. They work great..

I was hoping that someone could help me narrow it down a bit. I only moved here from WA last year. I don't need to stay in Peoeia, just preferably on this side of the vally. close enough to the MIL to visit but not close enough to drop in.

My sweetest, friendliest birds are my Bielefelders and my NN Turkens. Of the two the NNs take the heat extremely well whereas the Biels do struggle once it gets to about 95...but they're all lap chickens. I have a NN cockerel and a Biel cockerel that both think they belong on my lap at all times. I had expected affection like that from the girls, but to be treated so well by the boys as well has been a pure joy. My Biels haven't begun laying yet, but they all hatched from huge eggs so I have great hopes for them, and my NNs started producing lovely green and brown eggs of medium to large size right off the bat, and have been laying very consistently beginning at 19 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom