Arizona Chickens

For egg machines, I like the golden sex links. They are not bothered by the heat, and lay a jumbo plus egg every day. I also keep Cochin, jersey Giants, Marans, barred rocks, Ameraucanas, and Easter Eggers. The sex links lay the largest eggs, closely followed by the barred rocks. The Cochin and Jerseys lay smaller eggs, but are still productive. The Marans and Ameraucanas are good for color and size, but not as productive. My easter eggers aren't laying yet, so no opinion on them.
As far as heat tolerance, I lost one Cochin hen and one Ameraucana rooster a few weeks back, when the temps were hitting 110+. No problems with any of my other breeds.

Okay, thanks! I have 2 Easter Eggers and I LOVE them! I get about an egg a day from each one!

My hatchery Australorps are outstanding layers of extra large eggs and laugh at the desert heat. One of my Aussie girls laid for 43 days straight before taking a day off and starting again. Australorps are heat tolerant, egg laying machines! 

Okay, thanks! My Australorps layed for like a week, and then went broody so I don't have that much of an idea of The amount of eggs that they lay, but from what you told me, I am very excited for when their set is broken.

Well it looks as though my peacock foster boy is gone.  Big machines were  cutting alfalfa and he bolted.  Then there were a number of wind storms and he doesn't like those.  I've looked in various areas where he might have gone but nothing.  So I keep food on the table just in case he comes back.  We named him Ranger for a reason - he was wild.  Mostly I worry about whether he is eating well.  Oh well......it was great while it lasted.  :(

I hope ranger comes back soon.. I wish I could go drive and look for him with you..

Those are really different!

Well it looks as though my peacock foster boy is gone. Big machines were cutting alfalfa and he bolted. Then there were a number of wind storms and he doesn't like those. I've looked in various areas where he might have gone but nothing. So I keep food on the table just in case he comes back. We named him Ranger for a reason - he was wild. Mostly I worry about whether he is eating well. Oh well......it was great while it lasted.
sad.png
I hope he's OK and will find his way back.

My best layers are my coturnix quail. Way more productive than chickens in the heat.
My best chicken layers are my gold sex links and my mixed breed olive egger. The olive egger has the hardest egg shells ever, tough to break. I'm raising up some chicks from her, hoping for a couple of pullets.

I think one of my hens for stung by a scorpion, but not really sure. They let themselves out of the coop to free range every morning. I went out at 6:30am and found her out of the coop, by the other side of the coop laying on her side face down in the dirt. I thought she was dead until I picked her up, She opened the left eye but the right eye was caked with dirt and drool, she deficated on herself, and her legs were pretty stiff.
I brought her inside, cleaned her off, wrapped her in a towel and gave her some benadryl as it was all I would think of. She seems to have very slight improvements. She can hold herself up straight now while sitting, keeps her head up (still only opening the one eye) but is very listless and can't stand. She is in the Laundry room
Could this be something else? Is she groggy from the benadryl? Anything I should do for her?

I think one of my hens for stung by a scorpion, but not really sure. They let themselves out of the coop to free range every morning. I went out at 6:30am and found her out of the coop, by the other side of the coop laying on her side face down in the dirt. I thought she was dead until I picked her up, She opened the left eye but the right eye was caked with dirt and drool, she deficated on herself, and her legs were pretty stiff.
I brought her inside, cleaned her off, wrapped her in a towel and gave her some benadryl as it was all I would think of. She seems to have very slight improvements. She can hold herself up straight now while sitting, keeps her head up (still only opening the one eye) but is very listless and can't stand. She is in the Laundry room
Could this be something else? Is she groggy from the benadryl? Anything I should do for her?

Did you locate an puncture wounds that might indicate a snake bite instead? As far as other things it could be, I've no idea.

When my cockerel was stung by a scorpion I was lucky enough to be right there when it happened and administered treatment right away. Even at that it took him over an hour to be active again. Keep her cool, comfortable and hydrated. I also gave my boy electrolytes and vitamins in his water. I figured it couldn't hurt.

I couldn't find a puncture wound but I know we have lots of bark scorpions on our property so it's the first thing that came to mind. She's improve a little in the last couple hours. She stood up, took a few steps, drank some water and a bite of a peach. She still has one eye closed and acts like her legs are numb. Shakes them, then takes a step. After a few steps she lays back down. But it's improvement so hopefully she will be better in a couple days. It's been 9 hrs since I found her.
I'm keeping her cool in the laundry room :)
Hopefully that eye is ok?
Did you locate an puncture wounds that might indicate a snake bite instead? As far as other things it could be, I've no idea.

When my cockerel was stung by a scorpion I was lucky enough to be right there when it happened and administered treatment right away. Even at that it took him over an hour to be active again. Keep her cool, comfortable and hydrated. I also gave my boy electrolytes and vitamins in his water. I figured it couldn't hurt. 

I couldn't find a puncture wound but I know we have lots of bark scorpions on our property so it's the first thing that came to mind. She's improve a little in the last couple hours. She stood up, took a few steps, drank some water and a bite of a peach. She still has one eye closed and acts like her legs are numb. Shakes them, then takes a step. After a few steps she lays back down. But it's improvement so hopefully she will be better in a couple days. It's been 9 hrs since I found her.
I'm keeping her cool in the laundry room
smile.png

Hopefully that eye is ok?

There's a good chance she was stung near that eye. My cockerel was stung on the face while pecking at the ground. It wasn't on his eyelid but it was pretty close. I treated the area with an antihistamin ointment followed by Desitin. I hope she pulls through. It sounds like you're taking very good care of her.

Back
Top Bottom