Arizona Chickens

I couldn't find a puncture wound but I know we have lots of bark scorpions on our property so it's the first thing that came to mind. She's improve a little in the last couple hours. She stood up, took a few steps, drank some water and a bite of a peach. She still has one eye closed and acts like her legs are numb. Shakes them, then takes a step. After a few steps she lays back down. But it's improvement so hopefully she will be better in a couple days. It's been 9 hrs since I found her.

I'm keeping her cool in the laundry room :)

Hopefully that eye is ok?

There's a good chance she was stung near that eye. My cockerel was stung on the face while pecking at the ground. It wasn't on his eyelid but it was pretty close. I treated the area with an antihistamin ointment followed by Desitin. I hope she pulls through. It sounds like you're taking very good care of her. 

Hope you girl is doing better...

Thanks! I think she's on the mends. I'm so thrilled as I thought for sure she was a goner when I went out to find her this morning. Her breathing was shallow and her face was plastered in the mud :(. I think I found her just in time! But, she's now standing well, eating loads of treats and recovering. I will keep her in tonight as she's not strong enough to roost. I'll see how well she is in the morning. Her right eye is still closed, I tried to flush it...so not sure about that.

My hatchery Australorps are outstanding layers of extra large eggs and laugh at the desert heat. One of my Aussie girls laid for 43 days straight before taking a day off and starting again. Australorps are heat tolerant, egg laying machines! 

Well how about that...my Aussies are struggling this summer. I'm getting one or two eggs per day out of 4 BA's...it is their first summer. I wonder if they will get better over time?

Thanks! I think she's on the mends. I'm so thrilled as I thought for sure she was a goner when I went out to find her this morning. Her breathing was shallow and her face was plastered in the mud
sad.png
. I think I found her just in time! But, she's now standing well, eating loads of treats and recovering. I will keep her in tonight as she's not strong enough to roost. I'll see how well she is in the morning. Her right eye is still closed, I tried to flush it...so not sure about that.
She does look like she's perking up. Poor thing, lucky for her you found her so soon.

Does anyone know if chickens react badly to wasp stings? I have many yellow jackets that visit my yard and I'm afraid one of the girls will go after one and get stung. I saw my OE girl catch and gulp down a dragon fly, I imagine she could do the same with a wasp but with bad results.

My hatchery Australorps are outstanding layers of extra large eggs and laugh at the desert heat. One of my Aussie girls laid for 43 days straight before taking a day off and starting again. Australorps are heat tolerant, egg laying machines!
Well how about that...my Aussies are struggling this summer. I'm getting one or two eggs per day out of 4 BA's...it is their first summer. I wonder if they will get better over time?
Mine are just so so, So I would say it depends on if you're feeding them twice a day and they have plenty of fresh water, but I think this breed just doesn't get much better from the 2 I've had.
Thanks! I think she's on the mends. I'm so thrilled as I thought for sure she was a goner when I went out to find her this morning. Her breathing was shallow and her face was plastered in the mud :( . I think I found her just in time! But, she's now standing well, eating loads of treats and recovering. I will keep her in tonight as she's not strong enough to roost. I'll see how well she is in the morning. Her right eye is still closed, I tried to flush it...so not sure about that.
She does look like she's perking up. Poor thing, lucky for her you found her so soon. Does anyone know if chickens react badly to wasp stings? I have many yellow jackets that visit my yard and I'm afraid one of the girls will go after one and get stung. I saw my OE girl catch and gulp down a dragon fly, I imagine she could do the same with a wasp but with bad results.
Hmm. ... good question! Answers anyone? Goodluck mom-to-5!:hugs

Last edited:
Thanks! I think she's on the mends. I'm so thrilled as I thought for sure she was a goner when I went out to find her this morning. Her breathing was shallow and her face was plastered in the mud :(. I think I found her just in time! But, she's now standing well, eating loads of treats and recovering. I will keep her in tonight as she's not strong enough to roost. I'll see how well she is in the morning. Her right eye is still closed, I tried to flush it...so not sure about that.

Your such a good Moma !! You did everything right!! Glad to hear she is on the mend.. It is crazy we can keep them alive..
I am so sad, last night I found mites on some girl's & we all know what that means.. Infestation. I have to say I haven't been out back to check for the night crawlers,in About 3 months, but one girl has been week, I did check on her for them.. those little things move when you move the bird to look for them.. Plus I did not look under the wing, that is where I found them.. So off I got to get something for these gross-me-out discussing little things.. I had the ébée-jeeebeeess all night long.. I'm itching as we speak, not kidding .. I'm a bit freaked out!! :sick
The only thing I'm excited about is rebuilding my run.. Which will take forever.. So I guess I could be happy that everyone's not laying now.. Down side, no farm fresh egg's for a while.. I wonder how long I will have to treat & and with hold the egg's.. I guess I will find out when I read more about that..
:hit
Our poor bird's..

Heat tolerance seems to be one of those things that depends a lot on the individual bird, so I'd be surprised if they got more heat tolerant with age.

@desertmarcy has exceptional bird's she is Marana. We plan on going there with in a month or so... Are you wanting a certain breed?

No, not really. I got an ameraucana chick from her a couple month ago. And she is doing anazing! I can't believe that I didn't think of her. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom