Arizona Chickens

Check the bottom of her foot for bumble foot.

It does look like she has sores on the bottom of her feet, as well as having the living day lights pecked out of her before we got her...she is quarantined now. I soaked her feet tonight is Epsom salts and warm water and she fell asleep...lol. My husband asked what color she picked for her toe nail polish...:DLol. She is standing better, but seems to be too weak to stay up for long, but today she was up longer than yesterday. Husband called me a sucker, but he is as bad as I am about these things. Lol

Does anyone have a suggestion in Phoenix where to get a few pullets to add to the flock? Tried someone on Craigslist, but she left a wrong number and after emailing her have not heard anything.
The Stock Shop usually has pullet chicks and their chicks are healthy. You can call ahead to see what they have in stock or what they will get in each week.

So I put 6 eggs under my broody White Rock. Yesterday I was fortunate enough to be in the pen when she decided to take one of her rare breaks from egg sitting. There were 7 eggs in the nest, not 6. I guess one of the other girls got in there and laid another egg at some point. *Sigh* I really wish I had won the "location" argument. I'm just a nervous wreck over how to make all of this work.
They always have their own ideas of how to do things.

I've finally made it back to my computer!!
I want to say a BIG Thank you to City farm and houdiniduck! You were both were both a huge life saver! Buffy ended up going to a woman who works at a rescue/rehab and she's willing to try to get her well. Unfortunately, poor little Buffy is the poster pullet for a bad start in life & the effects of bad care & nutrition. Who knows from here if she'll ever get better, but I'm so greatful to everyone that helped! Maybe we can all get together someday & have a canning party or something fun when the gardens are back at full steam after summer :)
Good for you and Buffy. I'm hoping she will recover.
Canning sounds fun! I inherited a complete canning set up so now I just need someone to show me how.

Call me a sucker! I ended up with what looks like an Easter egger from a friend friend of a...well you get the point, and she is not in good shape. She has apparent been with a flock and been breed and breed and brEed. Her back looks like raw meat, no feathers and all wounds. What worries me the most is that it appears as if she has a hurt left foot. She has the hardest time putting any weight on it. She is obviously in a quarantine pen, and has Blue Kote on her back and some of her head, where it appears the roosters also ripped out those feathers. She has probiotics and electrolytes as well as getting some "groceries" in her body and is feeling better now. Still not putting weight on her foot. Anything else you can think of?
Ouch, poor girl. Those roos can be hard on the hens. There are many threads here on bumble foot. Do a search and see if it looks the same. Good luck with getting her healthy again.

MOLT BLUES

About half of my chickens have decided to molt at the same time, so I'm down to about a dozen eggs a day. The Chicken Palace is carpeted in feathers.
I'm using the deep litter method, will the feathers decompose?

Yes, to funny... how we run around to make our chicken's comfy.. The thing's we do for our flock.. What did you put under her ?? I hope to be getting day old chicks for Cheryl soon...

I put five Naked Neck Turken eggs and one Bielefelder over Australorp egg. The suprise 7th egg will be a Bielefelder over White Rock combo, though I expect I'll have to remove it and add it to the incubator to hatch since the others should hatch days sooner. 

Thus will be a fun mix!! Im getting new baby chick's Thursday. Not sure what breed. Ill post photo's

25 weeks and the 3rd of 8 pullets started laying today. Pretty sure it was my Silver Laced Cochin. No one was agitated this morning so I didn't expect any new ones but found the light brown one in the run. The other 2 are from my EE and my hatchery Black Copper Marans.

MOLT BLUES

About half of my chickens have decided to molt at the same time, so I'm down to about a dozen eggs a day. The Chicken Palace is carpeted in feathers.
I'm using the deep litter method, will the feathers decompose?

Maybe. Mine decomposed this summer when it was humid and the litter had some moisture in it. Other times they haven't decomposed so well. If it seems like they're not decomposing you can try moistening the top of the litter and turning it under. Sometimes I rake out the excess feathers and toss them on the compost pile. They break down pretty quickly in that.

Maybe. Mine decomposed this summer when it was humid and the litter had some moisture in it. Other times they haven't decomposed so well. If it seems like they're not decomposing you can try moistening the top of the litter and turning it under. Sometimes I rake out the excess feathers and toss them on the compost pile. They break down pretty quickly in that.

I throw them in the compost too.

for sure! I need to learn how to can. I am going to buy myself a pressure caner soon so I can can our garden delights and our extra chicken.
I have a brand new large pressure canner, armed with all the supplies....But I've never done it yet either, lol :)

It does look like she has sores on the bottom of her feet, as well as having the living day lights pecked out of her before we got her...she is quarantined now. I soaked her feet tonight is Epsom salts and warm water and she fell asleep...lol. My husband asked what color she picked for her toe nail polish...:DLol. She is standing better, but seems to be too weak to stay up for long, but today she was up longer than yesterday. Husband called me a sucker, but he is as bad as I am about these things. Lol
My white hen in my avatar pic just came down with it too :( We've been soaking it a few times a day & keeping her in the house at night. We're in the early stages, so I am going to try Tricide Neo, I read good stuff about it for some people, so I'm willing to give it a try since we're kinda at a stand still as far as healing with the epsom salt.

Back
Top Bottom