Arizona Chickens

The final count was five chicks, one unfertilized egg, and one egg that had quite developing along the way. Momma and chicks are now happily moved into their very own secluded pen plus secure run, and Momma's doing an outstanding job with the chicks. This is my first natural hatch and I'm completely enamored with the whole process. If I manage to keep broody hens, I may forgo hatching eggs in the incubator from this point on.
Get a few silkies.. Man I am telling you she is a broody Moma !! I had to break her 2-3x last year. It is so much better.. Plus if the hen is a sweet girl, you can love on those babies..

The 2 clones sneaking a drink, & Blondie wondering what is going on in there. . I took the screen down, they are having a ball jumping around. . The flock is mesmerized by them.. so fun to watch. They are already scratching around in the dirt. So cute. .

The 2 clones sneaking a drink, & Blondie wondering what is going on in there. . I took the screen down, they are having a ball jumping around. . The flock is mesmerized by them.. so fun to watch. They are already scratching around in the dirt. So cute. .

Too cute, we can't wait for one of our ladies to go broody.
What are the 2 birds in the front. Body lines and feathering look a lot like my EE pullet other than the colors being reversed.

I agree.  My BRs, BAs, and leghorns don't have much problem with the heat.  I would add production reds to that list too.
My EEs and  BO have the hardest time.

Again we are in agreement. We have 2 BOs and on the hotter more humid days they seem to struggle a bit.
I realize that many of the Sexlinks are a little suspect in their genetics but I have to say that both they and the what are more than likely production reds that we got this spring have done quite well this summer. We took a lot of measures to mitigate the heat as much as possible but all in all I would add them to list of heat tolerant birds.
With any luck, crossing our BA roo, with BRs should produce a very hearty hatch.
We also have a GLW and SLW who seemed to be somewhere in the middle with the heat. All are pullets and are just starting to lay an egg a day out of the pen of 23 isn't exactly rolling along so we will have a better idea of how everyone does next summer when they are all over 1yr old.

I have a Wyandotte and a black Australorp laying hens I am trying to sell, as I'm trying to downsize my flock a little bit, lol. But I think I'm a little bit of a drive from you but it might be a fun visit! You could definitely stop in and visit those of us in the East Valley! :D
Haven't been on in awhile since I had to get rid of my flock & relocate to Bullhead City. Looking to get back to the chicken life tho & am curious about heat hardy birds....also if anyone has any birds they are trying to get rid of PM me please!!

The final count was five chicks, one unfertilized egg, and one egg that had quite developing along the way. Momma and chicks are now happily moved into their very own secluded pen plus secure run, and Momma's doing an outstanding job with the chicks. This is my first natural hatch and I'm completely enamored with the whole process. If I manage to keep broody hens, I may forgo hatching eggs in the incubator from this point on.
Too cute, we are looking forward to one or more of our ladies going broody. With 2 Buff Orps among our flock, we are impatiently waiting for the telltale signs.
.... Well. .. here is an example of a telltale sign.... (SEE BELOW) Broody when they're laying on some wooden or ceramic eggs lol!

It seems we are on a young male coyotes way home from his nightly party route and the chickens have now been spotted. The dobermans usually keep them away from the fence, but my male has Vally Fever and has been spending a lot of time sleeping. my Dob girl just can not keep the perimeter monitored, although she tries. The coyote hopped over a fence yesterday morning when hubs and I were on the patio having coffee, but when he realized we were there turned and scaled a 7 ft block wall with ease. We made the mistake of thinking he would not be back that day, but now one of our RIRs has vanished...grrrrrr. Hubs has a 22 loaded now and the girls are on lockdown ( not happy...too bad, so sad). I have only lost one other and she was also a Red. I have a mixed flock, so I wonder what makes these more...attractive, appealing, a target???? Uuuuugh.

Just checking in as requested :) I won't repeat what I just wrote in the Introductions subforum, except to say my wife and I have layers, broilers, guinea fowl, and turkeys out here in Tonopah. We have found a few tricks to keep the poultry happy (and alive) during the horrible heat we have been having - didn't loose any this year to the heat!

-Dutch

Just checking in as requested
smile.png
I won't repeat what I just wrote in the Introductions subforum, except to say my wife and I have layers, broilers, guinea fowl, and turkeys out here in Tonopah. We have found a few tricks to keep the poultry happy (and alive) during the horrible heat we have been having - didn't loose any this year to the heat!

-Dutch
Welcome!! We have a great group of folks on here and are always looking for new "tricks".
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom