Arizona Chickens

Too cute, we can't wait for one of our ladies to go broody.
What are the 2 birds in the front. Body lines and feathering look a lot like my EE pullet other than the colors being reversed.
They are from a Bielfelder roo over one of my EEs. If you see a picture of Bielfelder hens they look very much like them.

It seems we are on a young male coyotes way home from his nightly party route and the chickens have now been spotted. The dobermans usually keep them away from the fence, but my male has Vally Fever and has been spending a lot of time sleeping. my Dob girl just can not keep the perimeter monitored, although she tries. The coyote hopped over a fence yesterday morning when hubs and I were on the patio having coffee, but when he realized we were there turned and scaled a 7 ft block wall with ease. We made the mistake of thinking he would not be back that day, but now one of our RIRs has vanished...grrrrrr. Hubs has a 22 loaded now and the girls are on lockdown ( not happy...too bad, so sad). I have only lost one other and she was also a Red. I have a mixed flock, so I wonder what makes these more...attractive, appealing, a target???? Uuuuugh.
So sorry for your loss. It's hard once a predator knows there's an easy meal in reach. Keeping them locked up in a predator proof pen and coop is the only sure way. My run only has netting over it to keep out hawks and owls. I'm sure a determined coyote or grey fox will be able to get in. I just hope the neighbor's chickens are easier targets.

Just checking in as requested
smile.png
I won't repeat what I just wrote in the Introductions subforum, except to say my wife and I have layers, broilers, guinea fowl, and turkeys out here in Tonopah. We have found a few tricks to keep the poultry happy (and alive) during the horrible heat we have been having - didn't loose any this year to the heat!

-Dutch
welcome-byc.gif

Waiting to hear what tricks you have to keep your flock comfortable in the heat.
pop.gif

Hi all just thought I would pop in I have started to follow the FB AZ thread so don't get here to often anymore hope all is well
frow.gif

You & your friend's & family are invited to BYC SEED BOX EXCHANGE
      SAT. OCT 17th 4-6 P.M. The Knight of Pythians 
      1606 East Apache Boulevard
      Please bring your favorite dish to share & your drink.
      We will do the seed exchange & have a kissing booth. Our dog
      Sammy will be giving out kiss's for 50 cent's per kiss. The
      money will go to the Lodge for use of their facility.
      Bring your extra seed's and zip lock baggies to take home some
      seed's for your garden.. 

Back
Top Bottom