Arizona Chickens

Need help probably tonight or first thing in the morning my leghorn, "Chickles", a white one is in trouble and she may be a down she's going to spilling out what seems like egg on the inside of her without a shell.
I thought hens were just eating her a get seems like her reproductive system is in trouble.
1f613.png
Is she swollen?
I have a hen with "water belly" at first I thought she was egg bound, but that was not the case.

in doing research on how to help her, many sites suggested the first thing to try is an epson salt bath.
Look on you tube for video, My hen seemed to like soaking in the warm water,. (I thought it was weird)
If she has something stuck that may help her... or at least clean her up so you can look closer...

Good luck....

Need help probably tonight or first thing in the morning my leghorn, "Chickles", a white one is in trouble and she may be a down she's going to spilling out what seems like egg on the inside of her without a shell.

I thought hens were just eating her a get seems like her reproductive system is in trouble.
1f613.png

Is she swollen? 
I have a hen with "water belly" at first I thought she was egg bound, but that was not the case.

in doing research on how to help her, many sites suggested the first thing to try is an epson salt bath.
Look on you tube for video,  My hen seemed to like soaking in the warm water,. (I thought it was weird)
If she has something stuck that may help her... or at least clean her up so you can look closer... 

Good luck.... 
I posted on one of the emergency threads. I posted a little bit about the issue of her having clear in yellow droppings that looks like a cracked egg without a shell coming out of her and her being very full, and not having laid eggs for maybe a few weeks. They did recommend after hydrating her and giving her some calcium ( tums 50 mg to start) & that I give her a warm bath. I can use epsom salts even and maybe a medicine they called Baytril. It's an anti microbial and I am going to look into oil of oregano with one of my naturopathic physician friends. After the bath I will try to massage her which seems to help her to try to pass the mass that seems to be inside of her which could be a cracked egg or an egg without its shell just being bound up in her. Thanks again for this feedback!! :)

My Sultan has been acting strangely the past 2 nights. She's always been very timid and just kinda hangs out by herself. She sleeps on the very bottom roost bar by herself. Last night she wouldn't go in the coop. She just kinda stood there and I brought her in the house, looked her over and didn't find anything visibly wrong but she kept falling asleep in my arms within seconds, she'd perk up for a second and then doze off again. I brought her back out to the coop and placed her on the bottom roost bar. During the day today she was fine, still her kind of mopey self but that's normal for her, I didn't notice any signs of pain or anything like that, she ate first thing in the morning and I saw nothing wrong. I went out to lock them in the coop tonight and she was standing on the floor sleeping. Something is definitely off but I can't pin point a symptom except she seems to be getting very tired to the point she won't even hop up to the bar. Just seems off.

My Sultan has been acting strangely the past 2 nights. She's always been very timid and just kinda hangs out by herself. She sleeps on the very bottom roost bar by herself. Last night she wouldn't go in the coop. She just kinda stood there and I brought her in the house, looked her over and didn't find anything visibly wrong but she kept falling asleep in my arms within seconds, she'd perk up for a second and then doze off again. I brought her back out to the coop and placed her on the bottom roost bar. During the day today she was fine, still her kind of mopey self but that's normal for her, I didn't notice any signs of pain or anything like that, she ate first thing in the morning and I saw nothing wrong. I went out to lock them in the coop tonight and she was standing on the floor sleeping. Something is definitely off but I can't pin point a symptom except she seems to be getting very tired to the point she won't even hop up to the bar. Just seems off.  

I am going thru some problems myself with a respiratory problem, have lost 4 roosters this weekend. Giving them tetracycline powder in their water and it is seeming to help them. Same symptoms as yours, @Twinklin

1f613.png

Let us know how she is tomorrow. .:frow
Did you take photo's? ?

I am going thru some problems myself with a respiratory problem, have lost 4 roosters this weekend. Giving them tetracycline powder in their water and it is seeming to help them. Same symptoms as yours, @Twinklin

I'm sorry for your losses. I'm going to separate her tomorrow so I can check her poop more easily and make sure she doesn't have worms or any of that. I saw no signs of mites or fleas so unless he has runny poop or worms I really have nothing else to go off of. I'll give her some poly vi sol tomorrow and see if that helps and see if I can pinpoint any other symptoms. She's never laid an egg, she's 7 months so I don't think she's egg bound. :( It's all very strange.

No sneezing, but I doubt it is a scorpion or spider. I just worry about the flock as a whole.

How is she today? ? It could effect the whole flock, but don't worry until you know & isolate her. Keep an eye on her. Let us know how she's doing tomorrow. Whenever it rains the wster & weather changes. Different viruses and bacteria's live in different temperatures so just have on hand stuff to treat your flock. I know a lot of us want to be organic but sometimes we can't.

Remind us again, is she laying? ? Egg bound. . Or bumble foot? Has she always been down there by herself? It might not be a bad idea to worm het if she is not laying. . Wazine 17 is what we use..

Remind us again, is she laying? ? Egg bound. . Or bumble foot? Has she always been down there by herself? It might not be a bad idea to worm het if she is not laying. . Wazine 17 is what we use..
She's 7 months but hasn't laid yet. Her vent seemed normal yesterday and her feet were clear of bumblefoot from what I can tell but all those **** feathers on her feet make it really hard to see if she's got any blisters on the top, the bottoms looked clean though. She always stays on the very bottom roost bar but for her to not even get up on the bar and instead just fall asleep standing up on the coop floor is off for her. She's always been kinda sleepy which is why I named her Winky but this is definitely a change for her.

How is she today? ? It could effect the whole flock, but don't worry until you know & isolate her. Keep an eye on her. Let us know how she's doing tomorrow. Whenever it rains the wster & weather changes. Different viruses and bacteria's live in different temperatures so just have on hand stuff to treat your flock. I know a lot of us want to be organic but sometimes we can't.

She is a tad better. Still gurggling, but more alert. We will see...she is isolatied, but it is hard to get her to far away because of my set up logistics. Well I would love to be organic, but having raised show dogs I tend toward the ultra proactive and head straight to the antibiotics. I am worried she isn't eating, but have dipped her beak in some water so get her to drink a bit of the probiotics I put in her water. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom