Arizona Chickens

I want to plant a bunch along the west side of my house for this very reason. If I can't get any of these seeds to sprout I'll be ordering some trees from EcoGrow.

Odd that yours would not sprout. I had almost 100% germination on seeds I bought from ebay a couple of years ago. Perhaps your seed was not fresh?

I hate to do this but....

I am selling my breeding pair of Ohiki chickens. They just don't get along with my flock of LF chickens. They just get picked on. I am selling them for $50 obo. I do not believe that I have gotten an egg from the hen yet, but the rooster has crowed. If there is anyone interested, please PM me. I am in Sahuarita AZ (south of Tucson). I am willing to meet anywhere in Tucson also.

Last edited:
When chickens get warm, they often droop their wings quite a bit and hold them away from their body. This is one of their mechanisms to cool off. My girls do it off and on; one of them more so than the other two! She'll walk for a bit with her wings drooping quite a ways, and then shake and pull them back up, and she looks normal for a bit. Then holds them out again. Although it doesn't seem that warm, it seems like when it gets warmer than 80 outside I start to see that behavior.

I've had the best luck by carefully peeling the outer casing from the seeds. They are less likely to mold in the next step if the seed coat is off. Wrap the clean seeds in a damp paper towel. Put the wrapped seeds in a Ziploc bag and place them someplace very warm. They love heat! If it's below 90 degrees I don't get as good germination. If you have an egg incubator that would be perfect! Check daily for sprouting. As soon as you see sprouting get them into the ground if it's warm enough out or into gallon pots if it's too cold and place them somewhere warm If its below 60 at night it's too cold for seedlings outside. Until the seedlings emerge from the soil they don't have to have light, but as soon as they do they will need sun or a grow light. Full sun is best.

We always need shade here! Can't wait to see your forest.
highfive.gif

Thank you so much! I happen to have an extra incubator not in use right now so I'll give this a try.

Odd that yours would not sprout. I had almost 100% germination on seeds I bought from ebay a couple of years ago. Perhaps your seed was not fresh?

Entirely possible. The seeds were "guaranteed fresh" and "95% germination"...but I think we all know how far a guarantee goes nowadays.
roll.png
I'll try out Sill's technique and see if I have better luck.

Hello All Arizona chicken lovers! I'm in Chandler and have 4, 11mo old hens. We made it through last summer really well and they have laid consistently.
I love all the advice and experiences!
Happy to be a part of this group. As we swing into summer, my advice is, lots of water, water the yard 2x a day, clean frozen blocks in their water dispenser, fresh veggies and somewhere they can snuffle in dirt. It cools them down immensely.
Thank you!!

Jennifer

Wow, great photo"s!!
:goodpost:
:love
:yesss:
:woot
This is the time to be out side.. If we do a seed exchange, who can make it? It would be on a Friday or Saturday around 5:30/9:00 PM.

Was there no interest in this? Just saw the posting. I'd like to do this but I leave for Skull Valley on Sunday with a Horse Show in Scottsdale on Saturday so I wouldn't be able to make it. It's still too cold up there to plant anything but I'd love to get some of those Moringa Seeds so I could get some shade growing for the chicken run and coop. I would love to see what's in that Seed Exchange box now, haven't been around in over a year so I can't imagine what it has in it by now. How could I get it? I have plans to go to Tucson in the near future from Skull Valley so I can hand it off to anyone in that route or close of that works out.

We are hatching soon on our one acre farm and will be ordering a Marek's vaccination. Because of the price of shipping we want to offer to share the cost with others who may be wanting to vaccinate at the same time. I have the details worked out, just PM me for more info. We want to do it next week so ask soon. Vaccination party! Not really, but you get the point.
For those of you wondering this has no effect on organically raised. And the younger the better. Commercial farms recommend to be one day old at vaccination, but it won't hurt to do at any age.

We are hatching soon on our one acre farm and will be ordering a Marek's vaccination. Because of the price of shipping we want to offer to share the cost with others who may be wanting to vaccinate at the same time. I have the details worked out, just PM me for more info. We want to do it next week so ask soon. Vaccination party! Not really, but you get the point.
For those of you wondering this has no effect on organically raised. And the younger the better. Commercial farms recommend to be one day old at vaccination, but it won't hurt to do at any age.

Would love to take advantage if I can; maybe go halfsies with you and take the rest (or at least enough for my chicks) to my house in Globe (that way I don't have to drive a bunch of chicks to Glendale). Plus I can see how to do it from someone else before I try.

Back
Top Bottom