Arizona Chickens

I am in Scottsdale and wanting to buy a coop and baby chicks, probably 12. I am worried about the summer months because we travel so I will need to rely on friends to help take care of our chickens. I want to get them young and we have a casita they can stay in until ready to go into the coop. I have been looking at coops to buy, anyone have a great one they love? Also a good place in the Phoenix area to buy the chicks?

Are you wanting them for egg's, meat or dual purpose?
I must say pratts in Phx have chick's.. But so far our experience has been not good.. They have always been sick & about 1/3 die.. There is a place in Scottsdale, but it might be strait run from what I remember, meaning cockerel's.. What breeds are you wanting? If you only want hen's get them older.. You can also order on-line.. There is my pet chicken, Meyer, ideal and tons more.. We went for a basket..

Keep us posted..

Does anyone know if cockerels will get their waddles before the pullets? I have one chicken that is supposed to be a pullet but it is exactly two weeks old today and there is a small waddle already growing with a red tinge to it and none of my other chicks have one yet especially one that's a little red.

Same breed? & same parent's?

Same breed? & same parent's?

I got them from my local TSC. They are said to be Golden sexlinks but then I was their a couple days ago and they had more golden sexlinks and the guy that was working was telling a lady buying some that they are actually red sexlinks... Although I also read online that red and gold sexlinks are the same thing. But yes same breed and I assume same parents. They are all starting to get a lot of feathers but only one of the four has redish brown feathers the rest of them are more off white or cream.

Last edited:
I don't know how far you are from E. Paradise Lane and 32d street but Western Ranchman is just south of the intersection on the west side. I started my first flock back in January and I got my birds there (9 White Leghorns and 16 Barred Rocks). So far all look to be pullets and I haven't lost any due to illness, etc. I know I plan to get all my birds there from now on - great people!

Same breed?

I got them from my local TSC. They are said to be Golden sexlinks but then I was their a couple days ago and they had more golden sexlinks and the guy that was working was telling a lady buying some that they are actually red sexlinks... Although I also read online that red and gold sexlinks are the same thing. But yes same breed and I assume same parents. They are all starting to get a lot of feathers but only one of the four has redish brown feathers the rest of them are more off white or cream.

Well then if they are sexlinks it is a hen.. From what I heard, not seen, sexlinks cockerel's are white? But @Sill might know? The tail get's longer as well..take side photo's if you can..

I have tried to add new chick's to a current flock at a young age at night, but they don't ever become a flock.. The new chick's form their own flock..

I don't know how far you are from E. Paradise Lane and 32d street but Western Ranchman is just south of the intersection on the west side. I started my first flock back in January and I got my birds there (9 White Leghorns and 16 Barred Rocks). So far all look to be pullets and I haven't lost any due to illness, etc. I know I plan to get all my birds there from now on - great people!

I have heard they are great, what is the name of the other feed store on the west side? Like off the 101?? I could call a friend if you don't know.. Actually this place is also like a garden center?

Well then if they are sexlinks it is a hen.. From what I heard, not seen, sexlinks cockerel's are white? But @Sill might know? The tail get's longer as well..take side photo's if you can..

I have tried to add new chick's to a current flock at a young age at night, but they don't ever become a flock.. The new chick's form their own flock..

None of mine are white, but I did hear that sexlink cockerels are a lot lighter than the pullets. I'll take a side pic and post it.

This is my first flock of chickens so I'll be good! I just gotta make sure my drake doesn't bother them. Drakes are the horniest birds I have ever seen

Last edited:
Well then if they are sexlinks it is a hen.. From what I heard, not seen, sexlinks cockerel's are white? But [@=/u/252618/Sill]@Sill[/@] might know? The tail get's longer as well..take side photo's if you can..

None of mine are white, but I did hear that sexlink cockerels are a lot lighter than the pullets. I'll take a side pic and post it.

This is my first flock of chickens so I'll be good! I just gotta make sure my drake doesn't bother them. Drakes are the horniest birds I have ever seen

We had to separate our's.. The chicken's would peck the duck's.. They have a different way of communicating, even our silver Swedish duck's & Muscovy duck's have a different way of communicating.. I just don't want to see blood.. Plus the chicken's don't like the wet as much.. I know people do it, our area is different. The chicken's can get out of the duck area & eat our garden..

CBL livestock

CBL livestock

I am in Scottsdale and wanting to buy a coop and baby chicks, probably 12. I am worried about the summer months because we travel so I will need to rely on friends to help take care of our chickens. I want to get them young and we have a casita they can stay in until ready to go into the coop. I have been looking at coops to buy, anyone have a great one they love? Also a good place in the Phoenix area to buy the chicks?

Hello! I am in Chandler. I did a bunch of research and only wanted girls. Cal Ranch in Casa Grande has 99% guaranteed female chicks, they are vaccinated the minute they are born and are separated by breed. Too many places throw all the different chicks into one bin and don't guarantee the sex. Cal Ranch is a bit of a drive and well worth it. Our 4 girls are 11 months old and have never had so much as a sniffle. Happy and healthy! Good luck with your coop hunt. We were lucky enough to buy a house with a kids playhouse built under a tree in the back yard.
As for the heat, if you get chicks, you are going to be keeping them inside in a box for a few months to start but they will be fine. Lots of icy water and shade. As they get older I but corn niblets and freeze them. They love it!!

CBL livestock

CBL livestock

Hello! I am in Chandler. I did a bunch of research and only wanted girls. Cal Ranch in Casa Grande has 99% guaranteed female chicks, they are vaccinated the minute they are born and are separated by breed. Too many places throw all the different chicks into one bin and don't guarantee the sex.  Cal Ranch is a bit of a drive and well worth it.  Our 4 girls are 11 months old and have never had so much as a sniffle. Happy and healthy!  Good luck with your coop hunt. We were lucky enough to buy a house with a kids playhouse built under a tree in the back yard.
As for the heat, if you get chicks, you are going to be keeping them inside in a box for a few months to start but they will be fine.  Lots of icy water and shade. As they get older I but corn niblets and freeze them. They love it!!

You chicken avatar photo is great.. Nothing like a chicken model..:woot

Back
Top Bottom