Arizona Chickens

My silkie chicken has gone broody again....
but something has gone wrong this time, i think

I went out to check on her yesterday, and her vent on the outside was very dry and brittle, while the inside is almost a bloody moist pink (She is a silkie, so the skin of her vent is a dark purple, but as it is dry, it is now a dark black) I checked on her again today, after applying bacatracin yesterday, and it was worse! is was leaking green poo and she had pasty butt.

I gave her a bath today, and there were ants in the pasty butt!!

The ants are gone now, but her vent remains the same.... dry on the outside, and slightly bloody on the inside. it is as if the skin on the outside of her vent and separated form the cloaca on the inside....

please help me? I am going to try applying coconut oil tonight and pipetting some water into her system after I have blow dried her clean (doing this as I type)

I don't know what to do, or if this is something she will need more professional help for.....
If I were you I would post this on the thread on emergency help for diseases. sounds as if she might need a systemic antibiotic and or extra vitamins at least. So far you seem to be doing a brave job of caring for her. I never heard of anything like you describe.

Quote: I've figured out what it is and begun treating it , thank goodness for the poultry care book from the Library..... and of course google . It was the early stages of Vent Prolapse. I have treated her vent with hemorrhoid cream, separated her from the other birds, and given her lots and lots of calcium. Mostly milk and bananas, and I got her to eat a few cubes of cantaloupe (Though it doesn't have much calcium, she wasn't eating much at all, but she seemed to do okay with the cantaloupe). I have her on Medicated feed, as well as gave her plenty of water and attention. I clean her vent and apply the hemorrhoid cream every morning and every afternoon, and the swelling that started yesterday that indicated Vent Prolapse has already gone down, and her vent, though scabbing over, is looking much better than it did the other day. She is acting normally again today too, not all whiny and broody/feverish like on Friday afternoon.

So one could say I thiink my silkie will live to be broody another day! Oh wait.... maybe just to cuddle. I could live without the broodiness..

Needless to say, Yukon is getting much better. I just went out and checked o her, and she is nearly healed. Just have to wait for the scabbing to heal.I doubt she will even scar, because we caught it early.

I've figured out what it is and begun treating it , thank goodness for the poultry care book from the Library..... and of course google . It was the early stages of Vent Prolapse. I have treated her vent with hemorrhoid cream, separated her from the other birds, and given her lots and lots of calcium. Mostly milk and bananas, and I got her to eat a few cubes of cantaloupe (Though it doesn't have much calcium, she wasn't eating much at all, but she seemed to do okay with the cantaloupe). I have her on Medicated feed, as well as gave her plenty of water and attention. I clean her vent and apply the hemorrhoid cream every morning and every afternoon, and the swelling that started yesterday that indicated Vent Prolapse has already gone down, and her vent, though scabbing over, is looking much better than it did the other day. She is acting normally again today too, not all whiny and broody/feverish like on Friday afternoon.

So one could say I thiink my silkie will live to be broody another day! Oh wait.... maybe just to cuddle. I could live without the broodiness..

Needless to say, Yukon is getting much better. I just went out and checked o her, and she is nearly healed. Just have to wait for the scabbing to heal.I doubt she will even scar, because we caught it early.

I'm really glad you were able to figure it out. Just an FYI, broccoli and Swiss chard are fairly high in calcium too.

I've figured out what it is and begun treating it , thank goodness for the poultry care book from the Library..... and of course google . It was the early stages of Vent Prolapse. I have treated her vent with hemorrhoid cream, separated her from the other birds, and given her lots and lots of calcium. Mostly milk and bananas, and I got her to eat a few cubes of cantaloupe (Though it doesn't have much calcium, she wasn't eating much at all, but she seemed to do okay with the cantaloupe). I have her on Medicated feed, as well as gave her plenty of water and attention. I clean her vent and apply the hemorrhoid cream every morning and every afternoon, and the swelling that started yesterday that indicated Vent Prolapse has already gone down, and her vent, though scabbing over, is looking much better than it did the other day. She is acting normally again today too, not all whiny and broody/feverish like on Friday afternoon.

WOW!! I've dealt with a prolapsed vent.....not fun but fixable but I've never seen "the beginnings of" like you had to do with this silkie girl. You might also give her more dark time so she doesn't make eggs too soon and I think after the swelling is down you can stop the hemorrhoid cream. You probably already did stop it by now. Anyhow - now I have a bit of info for the beginnings of a prolapse so maybe we'll avoid a full on prolapse again someday (hopefully never!!) for one of our girls. Crazy birds - gotta love 'em.

WOW!! I've dealt with a prolapsed vent.....not fun but fixable but I've never seen "the beginnings of" like you had to do with this silkie girl. You might also give her more dark time so she doesn't make eggs too soon and I think after the swelling is down you can stop the hemorrhoid cream. You probably already did stop it by now. Anyhow - now I have a bit of info for the beginnings of a prolapse so maybe we'll avoid a full on prolapse again someday (hopefully never!!) for one of our girls. Crazy birds - gotta love 'em.
good idea about the dark time to defer laying eggs until she is much better. Yes this is good information to have since vent prolapse is another problem chickens develop along with crop impaction. Caring for animals teaches us many things. I especially loved learning how they sense our emotions which I learned from caring for dogs and horses. Grew up in the city without animals so when I did experience caring for them it was like the light was turned on.

Just curious as to what kind of watering system y'all may use since it's unbelievably hot in AZ all summer. Not to mention monsoon and haboob winds that could really muck things up. It's my first time with chickens and I want to be prepared since they will be moving outside soon. Do you provide any water inside the coop? I just want to make sure they get what they need. They've been raised pretty unconventionally in a guest bedroom so I worry about the shock to their system. I know I am probably overthinking it all but I'd just prefer for them not to die, lol. I've been looking at the 'ol 5 gallon hanging bucket with nipples underneath. But I only have 3 chickens. Is that overkill? Then I start thinking about stale water that's hot because let's face it, nothing stays "cool" outside in Phoenix for the next 4-5 months. Also, any advice or recommendations for controlling or killing flies? Thanks in advance!

This would be overkill for 3 chickens but I have a chicken fountain and I can fit a frozen water bottle inside the full cap to help keep the water cool. Putting it in shade helps too.

This would be overkill for 3 chickens but I have a chicken fountain and I can fit a frozen water bottle inside the full cap to help keep the water cool. Putting it in shade helps too.

Thank you! I immediately started looking at fountain options. Looks like a good fit for us! Love the idea about the frozen bottle too!

You're welcome. I got the midrange system and had them add extra nipples. I hope it works out well for you. I've heard nothing but good things about them so far.

Back
Top Bottom