Arizona Chickens

I have a breeding pen set up with a cockerel who is not quite a year old, and three hens. Yesterday he was attempting to mount one of the hens. She was protesting loudly. Another hen ran over and started pecking viciously at the cockerel's head until he let go. Woot! Teach that boy some manners, girl!
gig.gif

I have a breeding pen set up with a cockerel who is not quite a year old, and three hens. Yesterday he was attempting to mount one of the hens. She was protesting loudly. Another hen ran over and started pecking viciously at the cockerel's head until he let go. Woot! Teach that boy some manners, girl!
gig.gif

lotta pressure for the young roo... good luck.. I have a silkie rooster that this happened to and we had to separate him.. size matters I have learned..

gig.gif
Never ceases to amaze me how they look out for themselves AND teach that boy what is what!! Good job girley.

Got some chicks today from the feed store. We weren't going to get any yet but hubs couldn't resist either.
LOL that's the common problem with chicken math and cute babies!
I'm having a hard time giving thumbs up on some of the posts I read so, I will continue to try from time to time. I'm using a cell phone so it is probably the reason why it's more difficult!! :(

I have a breeding pen set up with a cockerel who is not quite a year old, and three hens. Yesterday he was attempting to mount one of the hens. She was protesting loudly. Another hen ran over and started pecking viciously at the cockerel's head until he let go. Woot! Teach that boy some manners, girl!
:gig

Never ceases to amaze me how they look out for themselves AND teach that boy what is what!!  Good job girley.   
lol, for sure!

Will someone please tell me about your experiences with no-crow collars... We hatched 5 chicks on 11/19 and at least one, and maybe three are roosters... One for sure is trying to crow, the others.. are being suspiciously quiet I just can't keep a rooster, the noise ordinances make a rooster illegal. but these little ones, are the friendliest chicks, i've ever had... They come running, and if we don't bring them into their warm nest early enough, they perch on my kitchen pass through.... YEAH... that's another problem I will have to solve soon enough. I have to teach them to roost in the coop, not on my porch..
I've never used one myself, havn't had to, HOWEVER I have heard they are very, VERY touchy. A hair too tight, and the bird could strangle itself. A hair too loose, and it wont do it's job. Yo've gotta be a true OCD Goldilocks to get it rjuuuust right. Im not saying anythign against them, they do work for some people, but I would be wary, just in case
I always use a no crow collar, and I have for the last 3 years. Any boys I have done has done well. The trick is to be able to get it on tight enough so they don't crow so loud. It's usually very difficult to get it tight enough sometimes to keep them from crowing at a loud volume!! My youngest rooster is not AS friendly with me anymore since I put this on him, and he was super friendly before and would let me handle him all the time. I find after I put the two inch Velcro around the neck, I have to wait for a day and see if I can still hear him and make an adjustment the following day once I can catch him again. ;) 1 Roo had a little bit of problem with the crop being full, so maybe every two weeks take it off for a little bit (maybe a full day)and then put it back on that night when they go to roost. Private message me if you have any other questions! I would say if they're young you're going to need to adjust it periodically and maybe check it weekly. I to live in the city and do not want to tick off my neighbors. Just maybe a quarter of an inch at most is enough for them to eat drink and they can still continue their mating activities without any problems! If I can I'll try to get you a picture of my one roo with it on him. :)

Thanks! 

I knew the one on 22nd always had alot but I wasnt sure because it was winter. The one in rita ranch doesnt sell in the winter so I always like to look ^^

Yes, a few of the ACE hardware stores don't receive them during the winter.  Supposedly, ACE has a "Main Station" where they receive all their chicks, and then they are distributed throughout the various stores in Tucson. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Hey Bobby, how are you doing?
do you have a flock of chickens now? I remember when you had big building plans!

I always use a no crow collar, and I have for the last 3 years. Any boys I have done has done well. The trick is to be able to get it on tight enough so they don't crow so loud. It's usually very difficult to get it tight enough sometimes to keep them from crowing at a loud volume!! My youngest rooster is not AS friendly with me anymore since I put this on him, and he was super friendly before and would let me handle him all the time. I find after I put the two inch Velcro around the neck, I have to wait for a day and see if I can still hear him and make an adjustment the following day once I can catch him again.
wink.png

1 Roo had a little bit of problem with the crop being full, so maybe every two weeks take it off for a little bit (maybe a full day)and then put it back on that night when they go to roost. Private message me if you have any other questions! I would say if they're young you're going to need to adjust it periodically and maybe check it weekly. I to live in the city and do not want to tick off my neighbors.
Just maybe a quarter of an inch at most is enough for them to eat drink and they can still continue their mating activities without any problems! If I can I'll try to get you a picture of my one roo with it on him.
smile.png
Yes please a picture would be helpful
Did you get the "original" or did you make it yourself?

I just don't have the heart to send my new babies to slaughter....
My husband vehemently swore that any roosters who dared to hatch, would have to go right away...
but now he too is in love with Picard and Roberto.....

the third one is not crowing, but he is acting more like a rooster then a hen.... it would be just our luck to hatch more roos then hens

new babies... Picard, Roberto, Lumpy, FiveAlive, and #2 (suspected roo)

Back
Top Bottom