Arizona Chickens

Opinions....
I have a hen that I've had to pull off the nest all summer to stop her from being broody.... Do you think it might be cool enough to get her some fertile eggs now?
Or should I wait another month?

Also, does anyone near Tempe have fertile dark shelled Maran eggs that I could buy for her? thanks...

Opinions....
I have a hen that I've had to pull off the nest all summer to stop her from being broody.... Do you think it might be cool enough to get her some fertile eggs now?
Or should I wait another month?

Also, does anyone near Tempe have fertile dark shelled Maran eggs that I could buy for her? thanks...

My next door neighbor had 2 broodies sitting on hidden nests during the time that we had those real high temps (118 degrees), and the chicks hatched out. Unfortunately when they were big enough to start roaming the yard to free range with the rest of the flock, they were killed by another neighbors 2 dogs running loose that got into the yard. Those dogs killed 20 hens and the chicks, and were eating them!

I have hatching eggs available, but not the Maran one's. I also have new born chicks that are hatching.

Unfortunately when they were big enough to start roaming the yard to free range with the rest of the flock, they were killed by another neighbors 2 dogs running loose that got into the yard. Those dogs killed 20 hens and the chicks, and were eating them! :hit
@BlueBaby
What did they do about the dogs???

Unfortunately when they were big enough to start roaming the yard to free range with the rest of the flock, they were killed by another neighbors 2 dogs running loose that got into the yard. Those dogs killed 20 hens and the chicks, and were eating them! :hit
@BlueBaby
What did they do about the dogs???

The owners of the chickens called Animal Control. Animal Control brought out a huge trap cage, and tried to trap the dogs for 2 nights using cat food as bait. The dogs were too smart to get caught, and are still running loose. If it were my chickens that it had happened to, I would have shot the dogs that had my chicken's in it's mouth! I don't let my chicken's free range though, and nothing can get in to how I have them set up.

Thank-you...
I really have my heart set on the Maran's dark shelled eggs.. If I can't find any, I might ask about your eggs, I know your chickens are beautiful...

I know what you mean. We each have our own desire in what we want in a breed. I like my tan eggs, because it's easier to see through them when I have incubating eggs. The darker the egg is, the harder it is to see how the embryos are developing.

Hello All! I am new to BackYard Chickens and new to chicken life in general. I am expecting my first chicks next week - Easter Egger, Leghorn, Speckled Sussex, and a Barred Plymouth Rock.

I am soaking up all the information and can and am so glad I found you all!

Great! If you have any questions about raising them and such here in AZ., this would be the place for you to ask them, because we already have experiences with raising them here in our area and zone. How many chicks are you getting, and which part of Az. are you in?

Back
Top Bottom