Arizona Chickens

I have a lot of NNs with the blue egg gene. When I set up my breeding pen, my rooster that's the strongest carrier of the blue egg gene will be paired mostly with blue/green egger hens.

That will work. How is that roo's neck that will be used? The reason why I am asking is because I want the blue egg's to go with my blue/green egg laying hens, to bring out more of the blue color in the egg's. That is what I want my second pen to be made to contain. I still want a clean neck NN to be able to breed Charley's Nn daughter's that lay the tan egg's.

@starri33 Yes it would follow eggs. Remember the information from link @BlueBaby provided said to even wash tires! I would probably not be bringing in anything right now - just me. @DesertChic Yep - I have two green/blue egg layers and one olive egg layer in my lovely bunch. Now to coerce them to lay!! They do not think laying and cold night temps go together. Soon, I know, soon I'll be sorry.

That will work. How is that roo's neck that will be used? The reason why I am asking is because I want the blue egg's to go with my blue/green egg laying hens, to bring out more of the blue color in the egg's. That is what I want my second pen to be made to contain. I still want a clean neck NN to be able to breed Charley's Nn daughter's that lay the tan egg's.

The rooster I'm using for this breeding is only 50/50 NN. One of the hens is also only 50/50, but the rest are at least 75% NN. I sold my only clean-necked NN rooster earlier this year.

To paynemom, a few coops I have seen were with windows but many are without. The people just make sure there is good ventilation as in the soffet or air vent in a house attic. Windows could create a cold draft which would be bad for the chickens.

To paynemom, a few coops I have seen were with windows but many are without. The people just make sure there is good ventilation as in the soffet or air vent in a house attic. Windows could create a cold draft which would be bad for the chickens.

paynemom doesn't come to this thread anymore, or at least I haven't been seeing her since I joined here. Are you planning to either visit or move over here to Arizona?

@kZorro I'm sure in ID there is more need for less windows. In AZ when its the heat of the year you almost don't want a coop for your chickies. I have one coop that I modified for lots of air circulation and I have one with removable panels for hot months. Right now the panels are in place as we have 30s at night and low/mid 60s to 70 right now. Soon though it will be 80s regularly during the day and 40s at night. In Alaska when I lived there our chickies almost never went outside from Nov through January until there was BIG sun which started Feb during the day unless it was below zero. There was ONLY soffet ventilation in the barn until we opened the upper window in late spring summer. I love that chicken keeping is so different in so many places. This late summer and winter have been quite wet for my area of AZ and I now know I wouldn't enjoy chickies in Florida because it rains almost every day. Enjoy......

Back
Top Bottom