Arizona Chickens

Any traffic we get back here is a neighbor so I'm almost certain they weren't stolen. I'd like to see a thief catch them anyway as I have a hard enough time as they were very skittish.

I'll look for tracks but the only predator I've seen are hawks (not recently). I would suspect to see some feathers if it was a land predator. Maybe the predator will return this evening.

If they did run off, is that common? I can't imagine them wanting to go far from the flock or water in this heat.

Is there a way to set up a camera to catch whatever come's back for more?

Any traffic we get back here is a neighbor so I'm almost certain they weren't stolen. I'd like to see a thief catch them anyway as I have a hard enough time as they were very skittish.

I'll look for tracks but the only predator I've seen are hawks (not recently). I would suspect to see some feathers if it was a land predator. Maybe the predator will return this evening.

If they did run off, is that common? I can't imagine them wanting to go far from the flock or water in this heat.
I found this the other day, might give you a hint of what possible predators could be responsible:
https://www.welphatchery.com/predator_diagnosis

I'm in Kingman AZ. Usually 95-100 in Summer. A few years ago it got 111 degrees in July. The chickens had plenty of water, I have 4 water drinkers in different areas, along with dish pans all over the yard. We have an acre, grass and dirt. They run the property (except for the garden) all day to forage. They love being under the trees when its hot.
Welcome, I'm over the pass from you in Golden Valley, right at the moment our thermometer is 99, but it's 6:30 in the evening and the suns almost dropped behind the mountain..lol, I'm not sure where hubby has the outside part, but he told me yesterdays high was 110. Plenty of waterer's, wading pools, misters and shade cloth for my brats.

When i was crossing the street in Hawaii at one time, the concrete was so hot, the glue melted on my shoe and the sole fell off!! 🤣 i know better than flip flops here!

Oh forecast temps are always lower than actual temps. I need to replace the battery on my outdoor weather station. It's tended to run a few degrees cooler at my house because of farms down the road.. but those have been built over and paved in the last 6 months. Not looking forward to the heat effect.
Wow, flip flops all the way for me in summer. Barefoot the rest of the year.

Hey guys. Do any of you keep a compost pile? I have a fairly new one started in a 65 gallon upright container, that is not sealed at the bottom. Well, i have little mice visiting and digging in it.. so if i can't figure it out, its going to have to all go in the garbage. I did some reading and sprinkled a LOT of black pepper in and around it (im still sneezing, so i know its peppery enough). Do you know if that ACTUALLY works? I don't want to introduce poisons or pesticides onto my property. I want to eventually use this in my garden beds, one of which will be chicken salad specialty (not including any actual chickens).
Heat it up. Do you water your pile? If not it's cold composting which takes a long time and attracts rodents. Water it and lay a dark colored tarp over it to heat it up. That will make it break down faster and prevent rodents. Also make sure you have the right balance of greens and browns.

Hey guys. Do any of you keep a compost pile? I have a fairly new one started in a 65 gallon upright container, that is not sealed at the bottom. Well, i have little mice visiting and digging in it.. so if i can't figure it out, its going to have to all go in the garbage. I did some reading and sprinkled a LOT of black pepper in and around it (im still sneezing, so i know its peppery enough). Do you know if that ACTUALLY works? I don't want to introduce poisons or pesticides onto my property. I want to eventually use this in my garden beds, one of which will be chicken salad specialty (not including any actual chickens).
I have tried composting at least four different ways. Above ground turning, in ground side by side-2 different rectangle holes, old kiddy pool with hardwire cloth. The best way for me is digging a area with in my garden, used broken clay pots added all the kitchen scraps & run debris in,
1A43318E-E68C-4EF1-B8B9-7433FB519848.jpeg
then covered it with a little native soil, repeat. I do add worms to speed up the process. Ready in about 6 months.

Attachments

• C59D44B2-0769-4520-99AE-40B02330FAC0.jpeg
    C59D44B2-0769-4520-99AE-40B02330FAC0.jpeg
    876.2 KB · Views: 1
Wow, flip flops all the way for me in summer. Barefoot the rest of the year.
I would love to, if the heat didn't
seems rodents are everywhere, don’t let them detour you.
I can smell the pepper from several feet away from the compost pile 😂 but evidently the mice dont mind it.. i can see they dug under it again. Ill have to see where i can get those essential oils.

The few times any of my birds have "accidentally" hopped over the fence, they've been seen pacing back and forth trying to fit through the fence to get back in. After a while they search wider and farther trying to get back, and in that process who knows what they find...

Back
Top Bottom