Arizona Chickens

It's best if you are going to plant any trees or shrub's to plant the one's that will actually grow well out in the desert. I love roses and those Peonies, but I also know that they aren't right down here with this heat.
The roses can make it if you get the right variety and plant at the right time of year in the right location. The problem is that we should be planting stuff in early February but the plants don't come in until later and don't have a chance to become well established before the heat sets in.

The roses can make it if you get the right variety and plant at the right time of year in the right location. The problem is that we should be planting stuff in early February but the plants don't come in until later and don't have a chance to become well established before the heat sets in.

Doesn't @City farm deal with plant's? Maybe she would know where to get the right one's at?

Flash flood warning in the burn area by Big Bug Creek. We got heavy thunder showers here, lowered the temp from 95, ice in chicks water, to 75, turn on the heat for the little chicks! LOL. You should see those Naked Necks rolling in the wet grass! Must have bee 6 at once in the dirt rolling and digging in the cool mud! :lau
That's right, you have to expect flash floods in the burn scars for a good three years. Mayer, Spring Valley & Cordes ( think) had that after the Goodwin fire a couple-3 years ago.
I got a few sprinkles in Black Canyon CIty, enough to lower the temp a few degrees for a while. Then back up to 104 degrees when the girls hit their roost.

It's best if you are going to plant any trees or shrub's to plant the one's that will actually grow well out in the desert. I love roses and those Peonies, but I also know that they aren't right down here with this heat.
Oh my roses do well.. i think people over fertilize and water them. Less is more with them. My desert apple tree is not looking good.. itll bounce back.. my tangerine tree is looking sad. My hong kong orchid tree is singing along! But i have grapes and passion fruit, strawberry guava, tomatoes.. everything that usually is fine is not today.

Are the older pullets the ones that are around 15-22 weeks old?
At that age they should be laying pretty soon. Different breeds get bigger/redder combs and adult feathers at different ages. In general the sex links feather faster so a 15 week old should have enough adult plumage, not to mention they're sex links. Any time I've sold birds on craigslist I put the receipt that showed their hatch date and breed and sex (e.g., all pullets) in the ad, with my address redacted. There should be a fair number of people buying hatchery birds and selling the excess, or go with a more trusted breeder.

I haven't had any problems with hatchery birds, but did get some leghorns that weren't very hardy.

If you get feed store birds (day-olds), you'd have to make sure you got (e.g.) brown sex links, because the yellow chicks could conceivably be white leghorns, or male sex links.

If you mail order, you have to be prepared in case a few arrive dead or die later.

Depending on how big a role the kids are expected to play, you might see if you can find a breeder close enough to you and the kids can help pick out the birds.

I've had a few of the Czech hybrids, and they were pretty calm, especially the amberlink which were developed from that hatchery's ISA browns. In general any mediterranean breed would be pretty jumpy for the kids.

Dang y’all I keep trying to find time to get on here 😅 how y’all been doing? The rains finally hit my area for a few minutes today... we also got rid of 1 of our 3 roosters today... he’s off to his own house with 8 hens of his own... y’all think 10 hens with 2 bantam roosters will be ok? Or should I just get more hens? 🤣🤣🤣

The rain's seemed to have hit a few places today, but not here. The one's that did get rain didn't share any of it with me. :hit

As far as the 10 hen's with those 2 roosters that you have, I guess that you could try it and see. If the boy's get too heavy on the girl's, you may have to remove one or get more hen's.

The rain's seemed to have hit a few places today, but not here. The one's that did get rain didn't share any of it with me. :hit

As far as the 10 hen's with those 2 roosters that you have, I guess that you could try it and see. If the boy's get too heavy on the girl's, you may have to remove one or get more hen's.

Soooooooooooo...... what I’m seeing here is... more hens 👀😆🤣

we got like 10-15 minutes of light rain today... but I sat out with my chickens and watched as everywhere else got a good downpour for the better part of an hour or so...

Back
Top Bottom