Arizona Chickens

I haven't lost any of mine to the heat over here, even though I have had to split my time up between them and the one's next door that I am taking care of. I have 5 station's of water going for mine, and keep them topped off and add ice to them.
I don't think it has anything to do with care and everything to do with whether the individual can stand the temperature conditions in which it lives.

Well, considering that mostly what you find these days are barnyard mixes I'm not surprised. The NN with the bare chests and necks don't have as many feathers in general over their whole body vs those with bibs and feathers up to the neckline. Based on my plucking experience anyway.
Yes, my NNs are really only 1/2 NN and have bibs and fluffy feathers. Much less than the others, it looks like to me!

Hi! Good to see you too, doesn't seem to be a lot of us on here that are up in this area. I am SO glad I we weren't bringing birds back up, we'd definitely would have gone Wickenburg way.

@Parront
If @JennyHeidewald needs :lol: them, and can have them, go for it! On the Sandhill site, they lost the hatch for the 25. Dorkings will be delayed. I was just hoping for eggs sooner, I have waited 25 years, a few more weeks won't kill me!

*hahah* No, it's better they go to you! Mine would be a crime of opportunity. :D I love blue chickens, and laced is even prettier, but as I said, I don't really have a place to keep them currently.
Dorkings are so pretty, sorry to hear they lost the hatch, that sucks. Do you have any Projects (barnevelders by any chance *haha*)? :D Always worth it to scout out different flock owners and what they are working on, if anything.

The heat without the monsoons feels so brutal this year, at least when there were monsoons it would cool down half the day. :/

Hi! Good to see you too, doesn't seem to be a lot of us on here that are up in this area. I am SO glad I we weren't bringing birds back up, we'd definitely would have gone Wickenburg way.

@Parront

*hahah* No, it's better they go to you! Mine would be a crime of opportunity. :D I love blue chickens, and laced is even prettier, but as I said, I don't really have a place to keep them currently.
Dorkings are so pretty, sorry to hear they lost the hatch, that sucks. Do you have any Projects (barnevelders by any chance *haha*)? :D Always worth it to scout out different flock owners and what they are working on, if anything.

The heat without the monsoons feels so brutal this year, at least when there were monsoons it would cool down half the day. :/
Never had Barnevelders, just liked them and they are pretty. I might like to have some broodys, and these are! My water bill is killing me!

Never had Barnevelders, just liked them and they are pretty. I might like to have some broodys, and these are! My water bill is killing me!
I guess it is lucky there is a well by mine, all the water for cleaning the waterers and then for refilling them, and then to make puddles for the chickens...yikes!

Best way to raise chicks is to give them to a broody! :D Either under her to hatch, or slip them to her after incubating yourself. My little bantam hatched two, then I had ten I needed a Momma for. The one other broody wasn't taking to them, so my mom slipped them ALL to Blueberry later. Good thing it is warm out right now, because they all didn't fit under her. My sweet bird, she looked a bit confused at first. "Wait...one, two, three, four, five, six...and more ?!"Chicken math! *lol*

@Parront

When I got these 2 Double Blue Laced Barnevelder's they were already a couple month's old. I picked out the best one's from a choice of the 7 pullet's that were available. I picked the best color pattern of the feather's.

Can I ask where you got them? Maybe they might have more next year. :)

Over in East Mesa. She ran an ad in Craigslist Farm and Garden section. She order's them as chick's and then sell's them as started Bird's. She's expensive though. She sold me these one's that were a couple month's old for $25.00 each.

Back
Top Bottom