Arizona Chickens

I think I am going to move forward with making new trays that I will add sand to.
Don't be surprised if your chickens don't like the sand for dusting. In your situation with them being indoor is probably fine. You may opt to take them confined outdoors and let them dust bathe there.
My chickens have an area of sand available,,,,,,,,,,, but never used it. :idunno
This is their preferred spot,,, my campfire pit.
dust.PNG

This so funny to me.. its exactly why I picked the silkies first, and then had my surprise D'Uccles.. well one of my silkies is SOOOOO FREAKING LOUD!! I mean full bawk bawk Screams that you can hear outside (from inside the house). The other silkie does the cute little tiny muffled talking.. unless she jumps high enough to think she is flying! Definitely an individual personality deal!
The more you have the more you find they all have their own personalities. That may be why an experienced breeder takes personality into account when selecting their breeding stock, not just looks and production (depending on breeding goals).

Is anyone here have chicken in the city? Does your neighbor complains?
We live in the city so we chose hens but ended up with a rooster anyways, the neighbors have never complained but we’d happily rehome him if they ever did. There’s another rooster nearby so I’m guessing everyone’s used to them crowing but I still feel guilty on days where he crows earlier than usual.

We live in the city so we chose hens but ended up with a rooster anyways, the neighbors have never complained but we’d happily rehome him if they ever did. There’s another rooster nearby so I’m guessing everyone’s used to them crowing but I still feel guilty on days where he crows earlier than usual.

If you live in mesa that might be my rooster lol .. I'm in the same boat my rooster start crowing about a week now . Even though my neighbor is cool but I'm worried the city might show up .

If you live in mesa that might be my rooster lol .. I'm in the same boat my rooster start crowing about a week now . Even though my neighbor is cool but I'm worried the city might show up .
I try not to go against the poultry regulations but just FYI City of Mesa won't even respond to burglaries under $1000. So unless your in a hi-class area (I'm not) then I doubt the City or Animal Control will show up anytime soon. I hear roosters and have seen guineas in my NW Mesa neighborhood. Dogs are more annoying with loud obnoxious barking, also loose dogs (which Animal Control rarely will come out to get unless you already have it contained for them or unless it is actively attacking someone - they actually told me this after I had to run home from a loose dog coming after me and my dog).

I try not to go against the poultry regulations but just FYI City of Mesa won't even respond to burglaries under $1000. So unless your in a hi-class area (I'm not) then I doubt the City or Animal Control will show up anytime soon. I hear roosters and have seen guineas in my NW Mesa neighborhood. Dogs are more annoying with loud obnoxious barking, also loose dogs (which Animal Control rarely will come out to get unless you already have it contained for them or unless it is actively attacking someone - they actually told me this after I had to run home from a loose dog coming after me and my dog).

Thanks this make me feel a little better because these chickens are my pet and I'm worried the city might show up and tell me to get rid of them . I would be devastated.

Yes, and if the dog was attacking a person, the person could be dead by the time that they show up.

I’ve seen some no crow collars but I’m too doubtful to try them out. Unfortunately, we’d probably have to cull our rooster if the city ever got involved and we couldn’t rehome.

I’ve seen some no crow collars but I’m too doubtful to try them out. Unfortunately, we’d probably have to cull our rooster if the city ever got involved and we couldn’t rehome.
We need to be prepared to cross that bridge if we come to it. For now I just try to abide by the regulations and make nice with neighbors whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom