Arizona Chickens

Silkies and Cochins are the top broody hens around, and make EXCELENT MOMS. Many peeps just keep them instead of incubators.

On the other end of the spectrum, White Leghorns (worlds' most common chicken) rarely go broody. The one that I had never went broody. Many peeps claim their WL are not very friendly. Mine was just fine on the friendly portion. She did not rise to the point of being a lap chicken though. Maybe in springtime, I might get one
( yes only one :gig ) from the feed store. I do need some egg production, since my chickens are ether too old, or just lazy, and 6 are banties. Banties get a pass, because of their cuteness. The 2 remaining LF are a RIR at 9 years, and a Welsummer at 2+ years. She molted and most-likely wont see eggs until spring.
I almost forgot how eggs look,,,,,,, Oh wait,,, correction.:gig:lau

View attachment 2381913
I can't look at those kinds of eggs.. or I will give them to my broody silkie to hatch!!

Well.. Nala just needed 2 days away to get over it! She is back with her friends, and hasn't gone into the coop at all yet. They had some healthy seeds and RASPBERRIES! those went over very very well! They made a girgling gremlin sort of something sound when they ate them! So she is happily distracted and will hopefully get back to laying :) I did get 2 yesterday and 2 today from 3 chickens... I hope the other daily layer isn't about to go broody too!

Hope everyone is doing good finally starting to cool down! lost a Welslummer last week pretty sure it was mareks. Lost another yesterday. Yesterday was cream puff in the original video I posted. Can’t believe she lasted that long!!! On a positive note I am getting 12-17 eggs a day:eek: unfortunately no one is buying fresh eggs!!! So I made break Burros out of some. 11/20 fertile eggs have made it to day 18:weesuper excited about this. Hoping to create a mareks resistant chicken from all this! had a super big egg today it turned out to be a double yolker from one of my older ee hens

Attachments

• 487C4888-FA57-4F29-B22D-23B03D08C853.jpeg
    487C4888-FA57-4F29-B22D-23B03D08C853.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 1
  • D0E9B391-3746-41D5-B866-E1C29245F269.jpeg
    D0E9B391-3746-41D5-B866-E1C29245F269.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 1
Hope everyone is doing good finally starting to cool down! lost a Welslummer last week pretty sure it was mareks. Lost another yesterday. Yesterday was cream puff in the original video I posted. Can’t believe she lasted that long!!! On a positive note I am getting 12-17 eggs a day:eek: unfortunately no one is buying fresh eggs!!! So I made break Burros out of some. 11/20 fertile eggs have made it to day 18:weesuper excited about this. Hoping to create a mareks resistant chicken from all this! had a super big egg today it turned out to be a double yolker from one of my older ee hens

Sorry that you lost the hen's. :hugs

If you get too many egg's you can always boil up some, then peel and chop them up and freeze them in a ziplock baggy. They can be thawed out later. I did that when I was getting too many egg's this past spring. The thawed out one's can be used to make egg salad, potato salad, or even fed back to your flock in some wet feed or just a treat for them when you think that they need the extra protein and vitamin's that are in the egg's.

Sorry that you lost the hen's. :hugs

If you get too many egg's you can always boil up some, then peel and chop them up and freeze them in a ziplock baggy. They can be thawed out later. I did that when I was getting too many egg's this past spring. The thawed out one's can be used to make egg salad, potato salad, or even fed back to your flock in some wet feed or just a treat for them when you think that they need the extra protein and vitamin's that are in the egg's.

its ok. I am expecting it. I have been keeping my coop damp and watching for any new signs from other flock members. And then separating immediately to hopefully stop the spread. I’m really hopefully for these hatchlings to be strong and get past this stupid disease! I also expect to lose some of them as well. I have chose not to vaccinate so :fl

on another none I am really over this Covid business! This home schooling and working part time as a nurse and being exposed is really taking its toll on me! Can we just wish on a magic star and make it go away?

The NN new pullet layer layed her 2nd egg today, and I was out there again when she did it. I seen her hunch up and heard her grunting to push it out. It's a tiny bit bigger than yesterday's egg was. After she finished laying it, she walked over to me so that I could pet her and give her praise from doing a good job.
Wanted to ask if the NN I got from you came from green eggs, or do you think they will be green layers? I have a new layer & it’s a pretty green color.

Back
Top Bottom