Arizona Chickens

Just eggs but I don’t think I want to eat anyone.either. I still am not sure whether it’s a drake or not.
But a drake will be quiet, and might not overmate the two ducks. One of the more local duck breeders (cave creek/new river I think) told me that you actually get more eggs with two ducks and a drake, than with just two ducks. Either way fingers crossed!

My pretty & sweet girl Fawn feathers are changing from tan to lavender. She turned 1 in October.
856E912B-E46A-41BD-844E-611AC612AFA5.jpeg

I probably got that idea from following my grandmother around gathering eggs when I visited her as a child. We always did it in the morning, so I guess I just figured that they did their laying early in the mornings. I used to follow her around with a pail or whatever and we'd get the eggs. Some of the chickens did not want to give up the eggs and would peck and squawk. If they weren't too broody, I'd pick some up, but she usually got them from under the broody hens.
Sounds like a great childhood..

Well, I stopped by the feed store this morning, and they had very little chicken feed. The prices on their bags were more than I remembered paying last time ($20 for a bag of layer feed, $35 for a bag of organic). They said it didn't come in, so I took a little trip to Concho and found a new favorite feed store. I even picked up a bottle of stuff to prevent feather picking, just in case. I got two bags of all flock, because if it's getting scarce, I don't want to run out of feed. Just putting that out there, because I don't know if this is a one time local problem or not. For $5 less per bag, it was worth the trip.

Well, I stopped by the feed store this morning, and they had very little chicken feed. The prices on their bags were more than I remembered paying last time ($20 for a bag of layer feed, $35 for a bag of organic). They said it didn't come in, so I took a little trip to Concho and found a new favorite feed store. I even picked up a bottle of stuff to prevent feather picking, just in case. I got two bags of all flock, because if it's getting scarce, I don't want to run out of feed. Just putting that out there, because I don't know if this is a one time local problem or not. For $5 less per bag, it was worth the trip.
OH! Thanks for the heads up.. It is time for my next purchase!

The cost of the feed went up over here at the feed store also. Remember last spring when people were going crazy buying up any chick's that they could and the feed shelves became bare in some places? That same thing is about to happen again this spring. Do not let your feed barrels run dry before you get some more.

But a drake will be quiet, and might not overmate the two ducks. One of the more local duck breeders (cave creek/new river I think) told me that you actually get more eggs with two ducks and a drake, than with just two ducks. Either way fingers crossed!
I wonder why that is? Maybe because of fertility. Anyway, thank you. It’s just hard to tell who is quacking and it seems like one is pretty quiet. To my untrained ears I can’t tell the difference but none of them are especially loud to begin with. It doesn’t bother me if one is a drake it just wasn’t in my plan to have one.

Hello, after a long read and now doing a 2nd treatment of antibiotics, 1st time last year around March. So I don’t have to go into all the details, is there anyone in the east valley, Mesa that has some antibiotics I can borrow?, tomorrow morning? I ordered some, thought it was gonna be here Sat, nope.. Then of course there is Sunday, today being a holiday, duh I forgot so now it won’t be here until tomorrow afternoon.. anyho, I did get some liquid amoxicillin, used it the last 2 days on the worst 3 girls. But now all the girls are wheezing. I am in tears & if it doesn’t work, meaning if I caught it in time, I will need help, dispatching.. please let me know if someone can help with both. My silkies and small babies are separated & fine, it’s most of the other girls.

adding, I have checked for mites, none but if it’s lice then I don’t have that medication either. The only thing I think it could be for it to come back is the rodents & I mean it has been bad..or something the ducks carry & pass..

Hello, after a long read and now doing a 2nd treatment of antibiotics, 1st time last year around March. So I don’t have to go into all the details, is there anyone in the east valley, Mesa that has some antibiotics I can borrow?, tomorrow morning? I ordered some, thought it was gonna be here Sat, nope.. Then of course there is Sunday, today being a holiday, duh I forgot so now it won’t be here until tomorrow afternoon.. anyho, I did get some liquid amoxicillin, used it the last 2 days on the worst 3 girls. But now all the girls are wheezing. I am in tears & if it doesn’t work, meaning if I caught it in time, I will need help, dispatching.. please let me know if someone can help with both. My silkies and small babies are separated & fine, it’s most of the other girls.

adding, I have checked for mites, none but if it’s lice then I don’t have that medication either. The only thing I think it could be for it to come back is the rodents & I mean it has been bad..or something the ducks carry & pass..

Couldn't you use that VetRX? It's for respiratory function.

Edit:
The kind that I have here you can also get through walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/VETRX-POULTRY-REMEDY/29358413

Back
Top Bottom