Arizona Chickens

Good afternoon AZ. We had some wind yesterday and it knocked over a trash can so I went out to pick up some stuff out of the back yard. The ducks came out to see me and spent some time weeding. I think this one in front is a drake based on voice, just waiting for their next molt to see if he gets a curly tail feather.
View attachment 2497100
And the girls. They both quack and chatter constantly like teenaged girls
View attachment 2497104

I have three more ducklings coming next week since two girls won’t be enough. I guess no chickens for me for a while.
I just happen to run across this ancient thread from looooong ago. Maybe it has some IDEAS that you can incorporate into your duck environment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pictures-pool-filter-pump-duck-pen.191417/post-2285688

I can’t eat him. He reminds me of either Felix Unger or Mr Rogers with his little vest, standing there like a good boy. Two girls won’t be enough, so I told hubs no chickens with a drake, I’m getting more ducks.

He is a comical looking guy, and I'm glad you're enjoying the ducks. They look like they'd make fun pets.

Somebody at work wants to get some fertilized hatching eggs from my chickens. Big Ben is only about 8 months old. Is it likely that he's, uh, you know, and the eggs will be fertilized? I told her the eggs are still a bit small for hatching, but Henrietta's eggs are getting bigger. The last one was up to 53 grams. I told her there should be some hatchable ones closer to spring and a bit of patience will be needed. Lacey is not that far behind Henrietta in size, so hopefully she will start laying soon.

Last edited:
Any AZ chicken people out there? I am looking for some advice on raising chicks in the desert. I'm in Mesa. Does it get too hot out here? I have four 20 day old chicks, 3 Buff Orps and 1 leghorn. Do we need to do anything special here
Years ago when I was raising chickens in Phoenix we had a mister, and the chickens (which free ranged in our back yard) would lay up under bushes and larger plants in the garden. Sometimes you couldn't see a single chicken but when it came time to go in the coop at night they would emerge from all over the yard.

Had a coyote up by our houses while i was driving by yesterday afternoon.. i was honking to scare it away.. nope, didn't care. It went into and bushes and immediately camouflaged.. i knew it was in the yard, but honestly it made itself perfectly invisible. I bet there will be more out, they are hungry. I usually have rabbits in my front yard, and some passing through the back yard, but it's been ages since I've seen any.

Had a coyote up by our houses while i was driving by yesterday afternoon.. i was honking to scare it away.. nope, didn't care. It went into and bushes and immediately camouflaged.. i knew it was in the yard, but honestly it made itself perfectly invisible. I bet there will be more out, they are hungry. I usually have rabbits in my front yard, and some passing through the back yard, but it's been ages since I've seen any.
Ugh, no way. They are weird to see on your block. We have seen them so many times & still freaks me out. I think of rabies when Insee a single one.

Oh and loving our rain! It's just drizzling here now, hope we get more today. My plants need to recover from this summer!
I finally had to water, barley a drizzle here. Sad since my garden loves rain & all the work I did putting up the tarps for the flock, which is doing better, whewww..

Back
Top Bottom