Arizona Chickens

Here are some pictures. The eggs were laid on the 20th. I've been marking them so the oldest ones get eaten first. These are about to become breakfast. :)

20210227_064554.jpg
20210227_064606.jpg
20210227_065923.jpg

@Geckolady
hmm, it's a little hard to tell because of the light shining/glaring on the eggs..but it looks like in the second pic, the egg to the right might have a bullseye around the white spot.

Ill get another pic, before the pan, of one of my unfertilizrd eggs today for you.

Thanks. I've tried looking at eggs with a magnifying glass, but so far can't see anything.

The chickens are back to staying inside and keeping quiet.

Thanks. I've tried looking at eggs with a magnifying glass, but so far can't see anything.

The chickens are back to staying inside and keeping quiet.
I know mine are indoors, so it's not exactly the same.. but they have their days where they all squeeze into the coop and just lay (without laying) around all day. Just girl talk and fixing each other's feathers.

You shouldn't need a magnifying glass, the white spot is pretty bright. I just heard an egg song, so ill crack open the new egg and get a pic for you.

I know mine are indoors, so it's not exactly the same.. but they have their days where they all squeeze into the coop and just lay (without laying) around all day. Just girl talk and fixing each other's feathers.

You shouldn't need a magnifying glass, the white spot is pretty bright. I just heard an egg song, so ill crack open the new egg and get a pic for you.
Thanks! :)

Not that I'm aware of, unless something came nosing around while I wasn't there.
It can happen. A couple of month ago I had a bobcat get into my run in the middle of the afternoon when both my wife and I were home. My wife was outside and heard the ruckus, The bobcat killed a rooster and injured a hen before I could chase it out. The chickens would not come out for several days after that. Feral cats are even worse, they have little fear of humans. They will sneak in right under your nose any time of the day. They will stalk your chickens if they don't kill a chicken they can injure and at a minimum, scare the hell out of your flock. I have lost two roosters to feral cats this last year even though I was outside within 50 feet of the run.

It can happen. A couple of month ago I had a bobcat get into my run in the middle of the afternoon when both my wife and I were home. My wife was outside and heard the ruckus, The bobcat killed a rooster and injured a hen before I could chase it out. The chickens would not come out for several days after that. Feral cats are even worse, they have little fear of humans. They will sneak in right under your nose any time of the day. They will stalk your chickens if they don't kill a chicken they can injure and at a minimum, scare the hell out of your flock. I have lost two roosters to feral cats this last year even though I was outside within 50 feet of the run.

Thanks for the warning. I have feral cats. They were too feral for the feral cat people to tame, so they let me have them to deal with rodents rather than put them down. I named the hissing, spitting things after hurricanes and let them loose on the rodents. Now I have bloodstains to deal with, but the rodents are greatly reduced.

Thanks for the warning. I have feral cats. They were too feral for the feral cat people to tame, so they let me have them to deal with rodents rather than put them down. I named the hissing, spitting things after hurricanes and let them loose on the rodents. Now I have bloodstains to deal with, but the rodents are greatly reduced.
View my avatar. Those are all feral rescues. They are all fixed. None of my ferals bother any of my chickens. They sure did express interest when I had baby chicks in a cage outdoors. They also were licking their chops when they seen my pigeons. My last 3 pigeons, were lost to one cat. :hit
My Serama in Avatar which I no longer have, got along well with my cats. I now have 3 Seramas, and the smallest one is smaller than a pigeon. Somehow cats distinguish chickens from other birds. (maybe by smell):idunno My chickens roam grounds together with my mousers.
My Serama named Lonely. She is smaller than my other 2 Seramas, and smaller than a pigeon.
IMG_20201102_162922401.jpg

My mousers,,,, Yes, I do keep them well fed. they do control rodents since I do not have a mouse problem.:thumbsup.. I'm not sure if mice and rats can smell the cats, and just naturally avoid, or all the rodents get eaten..:idunno
IMG_20210224_163442646.jpg

View my avatar. Those are all feral rescues. They are all fixed. None of my ferals bother any of my chickens. They sure did express interest when I had baby chicks in a cage outdoors. They also were licking their chops when they seen my pigeons. My last 3 pigeons, were lost to one cat. :hit
My Serama in Avatar which I no longer have, got along well with my cats. I now have 3 Seramas, and the smallest one is smaller than a pigeon. Somehow cats distinguish chickens from other birds. (maybe by smell):idunno My chickens roam grounds together with my mousers.
My Serama named Lonely. She is smaller than my other 2 Seramas, and smaller than a pigeon.
View attachment 2548530
My mousers,,,, Yes, I do keep them well fed. they do control rodents since I do not have a mouse problem.:thumbsup.. I'm not sure if mice and rats can smell the cats, and just naturally avoid, or all the rodents get eaten..:idunno
View attachment 2548531

Lonely is so cute! My four mousers take on rats too, and I feed them and provide water, cat beds which they don't use, and cat toys for them to ignore. Mine seem to eat pretty much all of the rodents except for the front teeth of the larger rats, for some reason. I'll find a blood splotch on the concrete with a set of rodent teeth and know they got one. :rolleyes:
One of the joys of buying a former hoarder house out in the country.
Sorry to hear about the pigeon. :(

Today's picture looks just a little more likely. There were two in the bowl before I dropped the bowl and had to grab another egg. This third one looks more likely.
20210228_071648.jpg

Looking at the the pic enlarged on line--Bingo! My little boy has become a man! But the need for fertilized eggs isn't as urgent any more. Last week I talked to the friend who wants hatching eggs from me. She doesn't have an incubator or a coop, so I told her to get back with me later when she's set up. I think she thinks I'm a spoilsport.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom