Arizona Chickens

Lonely is so cute! My four mousers take on rats too, and I feed them and provide water, cat beds which they don't use, and cat toys for them to ignore. Mine seem to eat pretty much all of the rodents except for the front teeth of the larger rats, for some reason. I'll find a blood splotch on the concrete with a set of rodent teeth and know they got one. :rolleyes:
One of the joys of buying a former hoarder house out in the country.
Sorry to hear about the pigeon. :(

I think the reason why they leave the rat teeth is because rat's have serrated edges on their teeth.

Today's picture looks just a little more likely. There were two in the bowl before I dropped the bowl and had to grab another egg. This third one looks more likely.View attachment 2548682

Looking at the the pic enlarged on line--Bingo! My little boy has become a man! But the need for fertilized eggs isn't as urgent any more. Last week I talked to the friend who wants hatching eggs from me. She doesn't have an incubator or a coop, so I told her to get back with me later when she's set up. I think she thinks I'm a spoilsport.
Woohooo!! Hes doing his job!! That is a nice bullseye! I ended up making potato soup so I didn't crack any eggs yesterday 🥔

Maybe your friend was planning on doing the bra hatch?? 👙

View my avatar. Those are all feral rescues. They are all fixed. None of my ferals bother any of my chickens. They sure did express interest when I had baby chicks in a cage outdoors. They also were licking their chops when they seen my pigeons. My last 3 pigeons, were lost to one cat. :hit
My Serama in Avatar which I no longer have, got along well with my cats. I now have 3 Seramas, and the smallest one is smaller than a pigeon. Somehow cats distinguish chickens from other birds. (maybe by smell):idunno My chickens roam grounds together with my mousers.
My Serama named Lonely. She is smaller than my other 2 Seramas, and smaller than a pigeon.
View attachment 2548530
My mousers,,,, Yes, I do keep them well fed. they do control rodents since I do not have a mouse problem.:thumbsup.. I'm not sure if mice and rats can smell the cats, and just naturally avoid, or all the rodents get eaten..:idunno
View attachment 2548531
Funny, my dogs will NOT leave the outside birds alone for a second.. but they just lounge while the chickens are running around the family room.

Not sure-- I think my roosters got switched in the breeding pens when I was gone on Sunday. DH texted me that he found both in same pen but he separated them that night. I forgot to count the hens in each pen this morning to see if anyone else is escaped to the other side. No one is banded so I might try to band them or at least make a Roo ID card (pic of his comb should suffice) and post it on the wall so I can tell for sure!

So that's my chicken project of the week to make sure everyone stays in their own pens. Thankfully I haven't started collecting hatching eggs yet since a little too small.

Not sure-- I think my roosters got switched in the breeding pens when I was gone on Sunday. DH texted me that he found both in same pen but he separated them that night. I forgot to count the hens in each pen this morning to see if anyone else is escaped to the other side. No one is banded so I might try to band them or at least make a Roo ID card (pic of his comb should suffice) and post it on the wall so I can tell for sure!

So that's my chicken project of the week to make sure everyone stays in their own pens. Thankfully I haven't started collecting hatching eggs yet since a little too small.

Good thing the roo's didn't tear each other up in that. Is Roger ok?

Good thing the roo's didn't tear each other up in that. Is Roger ok?
I know - DH said the roos were ok and he didn't see any wounds from them fighting.

Roger is Great! I keep my eye on him like any rooster but he's so calm and friendly to me (not eating out of my hand friendly but I don't worry about turning my back on him). He's probably 50 feet away in another coop attached to the pole barn.

These breeding pens are completely separate in a stand alone coop that we rebuilt. I might have to put up some burlap or plastic to obscure the views between pens - they do like to eye each other thru the wire. And they did spar sometimes when all together.

I know - DH said the roos were ok and he didn't see any wounds from them fighting.

Roger is Great! I keep my eye on him like any rooster but he's so calm and friendly to me (not eating out of my hand friendly but I don't worry about turning my back on him). He's probably 50 feet away in another coop attached to the pole barn.

These breeding pens are completely separate in a stand alone coop that we rebuilt. I might have to put up some burlap or plastic to obscure the views between pens - they do like to eye each other thru the wire. And they did spar sometimes when all together.

@Parront has some of his daughter's.

Back
Top Bottom