Arizona Chickens

I’ve tried a couple local fb chicken groups with no luck. A couple ppl said yes then disappeared! We’ll put them in the freezer but our black rooster Dork is going to be tough. My husband said he doesn’t know if he can do it. I’ve tried adding him with the other bantams but my tiny rooster wants to fight him. I’ve tried letting them work it out but the tiny guy who I’m keeping takes a beating and he’s much smaller then Dork. It’s a very difficult situation right now because Dorks alone.
Try using MeWe.. its an online sale site where you can list them.. more serious buyers on there and lots of people with poultry (you canlist for free too). Can you see if any of your local feed stores will buy them? We have a few in the valley here that do. How about reaching out to a 4H group? Especially if hes friendly, it might be a nice project for the kids..

I’ve tried a couple local fb chicken groups with no luck. A couple ppl said yes then disappeared! We’ll put them in the freezer but our black rooster Dork is going to be tough. My husband said he doesn’t know if he can do it. I’ve tried adding him with the other bantams but my tiny rooster wants to fight him. I’ve tried letting them work it out but the tiny guy who I’m keeping takes a beating and he’s much smaller then Dork. It’s a very difficult situation right now because Dorks alone.
It is not easy to find a home for a rooster, probably twice as difficult for a little one.

Try using MeWe.. its an online sale site where you can list them.. more serious buyers on there and lots of people with poultry (you canlist for free too). Can you see if any of your local feed stores will buy them? We have a few in the valley here that do. How about reaching out to a 4H group? Especially if hes friendly, it might be a nice project for the kids..
Here is a pic of that Brown Leghorn hen you liked. Out in the yard tearing up the grass today.

Attachments

• Brown Leghorn.JPG
    Brown Leghorn.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 1
He is so pretty.. i like the white ear lobes too. Is he friendly?

I need to get my chickens some sod to scratch on and I need to cut their nails! #housechickenproblems
She is not terribly friendly unless you have treats, then she hops in my lap. I clip her wings, this breed is only about 4 pounds full grown. For your lap chickens, you could trim their toe-nails like I do the parrot's. Just wrap them in a towel, use dog toe-nail clippers, not too short, just the sharp clear part. For people who can't do it themselves, my vet does nails on parrots. I have seen chickens in her office, too.

He is so pretty.. i like the white ear lobes too. Is he friendly?

I need to get my chickens some sod to scratch on and I need to cut their nails! #housechickenproblems
Oops i got confused w the other one... i meant she 😆
She is not terribly friendly unless you have treats, then she hops in my lap. I clip her wings, this breed is only about 4 pounds full grown. For your lap chickens, you could trim their toe-nails like I do the parrot's. Just wrap them in a towel, use dog toe-nail clippers, not too short, just the sharp clear part. For people who can't do it themselves, my vet does nails on parrots. I have seen chickens in her office, too.
Yea, i have some very small nail clippers, for birds/rabbits. With my parrots, i just put them on a perch and cut. I have just been a bad chicken mama and hadnt noticed! My old cockatoo would stretch out each wing while I trimmed her flight feathers.. such a good bird. She was the easy one to potty train. I should probably cut the flight feathers on the d'uccles, but they just fly around in a circle, they have good control.

Oops i got confused w the other one... i meant she 😆

Yea, i have some very small nail clippers, for birds/rabbits. With my parrots, i just put them on a perch and cut. I have just been a bad chicken mama and hadnt noticed! My old cockatoo would stretch out each wing while I trimmed her flight feathers.. such a good bird. She was the easy one to potty train. I should probably cut the flight feathers on the d'uccles, but they just fly around in a circle, they have good control.
Now that they have an idea about flying, trimming the feathers is mostly to keep them from startling and rocketing into some window and breaking their necks.
The leghorn could get up into a tree, so I trimmed her wings from the beginning, I do not want her to be able to fly that far. Both leghorns fly up to the roost ~ 5 feet up with their wings clipped. The rocks can make it, but only if they have full wing feathers! The biggest is the meat-cross NN she can fly up to the roost, from a lower perch, when she come down, look out! The photo is the big NN in the yard with the Brown Sex-link.

Attachments

• IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    708.9 KB · Views: 1
The D'uccles are cool, calm, and collected.. they only strategically fly... for some reason they always search for the tv remote to stand on.. now the one that is easily spooked is the cochin.. she hasn't really tried flying yet, other than one failed attempt. Curious if she will or not. If she figures out her wings, I'll trim hers. She has more of "the sky is falling" personality.

The D'uccles are cool, calm, and collected.. they only strategically fly... for some reason they always search for the tv remote to stand on.. now the one that is easily spooked is the cochin.. she hasn't really tried flying yet, other than one failed attempt. Curious if she will or not. If she figures out her wings, I'll trim hers. She has more of "the sky is falling" personality.

Maybe they don't like the program that you are watching, and want the channel changed. :gig

Back
Top Bottom