Arizona Chickens

These were just for fun and females for my drakes. They want more than 2 girls each! I am separating them for pure bred Buff & Rouen ducks next time! The boys are headed to freezer camp. :drool Shopping for a plucker as we speak!
We have been trying to find pluckers near us for a reasonable price but haven't found any yet. All sold out or out of stock.

We have been trying to find pluckers near us for a reasonable price but haven't found any yet. All sold out or out of stock.
Hand plucking is what I have always done, but ducks take a lot of time! I guess since I invested in an incubator, that is what's next. In 8 weeks I will be over-run with young drakes. I have had chicken hatches where 7 out of 10 were boys!

Hand plucking is what I have always done, but ducks take a lot of time! I guess since I invested in an incubator, that is what's next. In 8 weeks I will be over-run with young drakes. I have had chicken hatches where 7 out of 10 were boys!
We just grab the kids and they help with the plucking, sometimes we skin them. We have only butchered Cornish X and one mean orp rooster. What do the drakes taste like and what breeds do you butcher?

Where are the picsssssss
I needed coffee, FIRST, PLUUUUEESSSEEEE:caf Not to mention the parent ducks need let out & fed, Dylan the parrot needs out and her food. These guys are not eating yet, but they have fluffed up, and fluff is sticking to the incubator sides. They want out, but there is still one cracking his shell. You can see the beak breathing.
IMG_6058.JPG

We just grab the kids and they help with the plucking, sometimes we skin them. We have only butchered Cornish X and one mean orp rooster. What do the drakes taste like and what breeds do you butcher?
Drakes are very good eating. I waited too long, really with the ones I did. If you do them as soon as the drake feather shows, 7-8 weeks, the plucking is easier. If you wait, then comes a lot of pin feathers, so you have to wait until about 18 weeks, which is when I did the Bad Boyz, fathers of this group. I wanted their daughters, supposed to be good layer breeds. So, mixed breed layers and more females for the drakes I kept. These eggs were a littler smaller than what they are laying now. I would probably have had a better hatch rate if I had waited, but the parent drakes had to go!

I needed coffee, FIRST, PLUUUUEESSSEEEE:caf Not to mention the parent ducks need let out & fed, Dylan the parrot needs out and her food. These guys are not eating yet, but they have fluffed up, and fluff is sticking to the incubator sides. They want out, but there is still one cracking his shell. You can see the beak breathing.View attachment 2608438
Omg they are tooooo cute!! How about the other eggs in the back, are they expected to hatch as well?

Back
Top Bottom