Arizona Chickens

The chicken tractor is here, and much to my back's dislike, I wrestled the thing up the steps and into the porch. The box says it only weighs 59 lbs. Not sure they're telling the truth.

Today is day 24, and this is the most developed egg. One of them has two air/gas bubbles that move around easily in the egg. Not going to open that one indoors. So--failure #2 when it comes to incubating eggs. *sigh* No hope, right?

20210414_093515.jpg

@Geckolady It's only 20 day's of incubation for chciken egg's. That egg is not viable and should be tossed as you have stated that today was day 24.
Well, before too long I will have a nice pair of feathered egg incubators. They'll probably be a lot more fun than the machine on the counter. Operation Chicken Run is about to commence.

From what I've been reading, cockerels raised by hens tend to be less aggressive, and that will be a bonus, since about half the chicks will be male.

Had an appointment this afternoon at Lens Crafter's. I tell you, the technology for the eye exam's has sure changed since the last time that I had it done. At least I didn't have to get those drop's in the eyes that just about blind you for a few hour's.
That's a bonus. The eye doctor used those new ones on me last time too, but he still advised me to wear sunglasses anyway because he said that there's still some dilation and it's better for the eyes. But it was nice to see clearly afterwards! :)

That's a bonus. The eye doctor used those new ones on me last time too, but he still advised me to wear sunglasses anyway because he said that there's still some dilation and it's better for the eyes. But it was nice to see clearly afterwards! :)

I do wear the prescription sunglasses, and have the progressives as my regular glasses. My frames on my sunglasses held up great, so they will be the frames for the new lenses. I picked out a better frame for the progressive one's, and hopefully they won't get as corroded from the sweat durring these hot summer's.

Hawks nested in the same tree as last year near the Pole Barn Chicken Coop with just the aviary netting on the run. There are some hungry hawks (maybe juveniles) that probably would test the netting or won't see it very well even though I have flag tape on it.

So I had to shut the egg layers & Roger up in the Pole Barn area today (it's pretty roomy for 13 birds) but they are not going to like it since no access to Lazy River today. Better alive and angry than dead. I'll go out and sit with them at Lazy River so everyone is happier later.

The other coop/run areas have a stronger wire covering or a roof so no need to do anything different there.

Hawks nested in the same tree as last year near the Pole Barn Chicken Coop with just the aviary netting on the run. There are some hungry hawks (maybe juveniles) that probably would test the netting or won't see it very well even though I have flag tape on it.

So I had to shut the egg layers & Roger up in the Pole Barn area today (it's pretty roomy for 13 birds) but they are not going to like it since no access to Lazy River today. Better alive and angry than dead. I'll go out and sit with them at Lazy River so everyone is happier later.

The other coop/run areas have a stronger wire covering or a roof so no need to do anything different there.

Too bad you didn't have a way to knock down that hawk's nest from last year. Maybe they would have nested in a different tree this year then?

Too bad you didn't have a way to knock down that hawk's nest from last year. Maybe they would have nested in a different tree this year then?
Definitely have to figure out how to do that once they vacate the nest this year. It's probably 25-30 feet up almost to top of the Arizona Cypress Tree. It's amazing that nest or even remnants could make it thru the winds of the winter (regular gusts even now up to 50 mph or more).

Definitely have to figure out how to do that once they vacate the nest this year. It's probably 25-30 feet up almost to top of the Arizona Cypress Tree. It's amazing that nest or even remnants could make it thru the winds of the winter (regular gusts even now up to 50 mph or more).

Someone told me that hawk's will nest in the tallest tree.

Back
Top Bottom