Arizona Chickens

How do you recycle yours? I’ve been composting my used eggshells but I think I’d rather recycle them through my chickens instead
I put them in a hanging feeder, along with grit, sand, and oyster shells. I dry them in the sun first, they crush them up. I never put them full size out there as I don’t want them to get the idea it’s ok to eat eggshells. I did a video on this on my Bitchute channel, these are still photos from that video

Attachments

• EDE0605A-8897-4BE4-A125-38E8A81D9246.png
    EDE0605A-8897-4BE4-A125-38E8A81D9246.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 1B8345E9-D494-4D20-9438-7D70BFE80B51.jpeg
    1B8345E9-D494-4D20-9438-7D70BFE80B51.jpeg
    688.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 25F905BF-353B-4561-AFBF-D78AE3114667.jpeg
    25F905BF-353B-4561-AFBF-D78AE3114667.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3C1240AA-52F5-4925-B43C-F90A7429FDE5.jpeg
    3C1240AA-52F5-4925-B43C-F90A7429FDE5.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 0
I put them in a hanging feeder, along with grit, sand, and oyster shells. I dry them in the sun first, they crush them up. I never put them full size out there as I don’t want them to get the idea it’s ok to eat eggshells. I did a video on this on my Bitchute channel, these are still photos from that video
I’ll definitely have to start saving them then! And I’ll be sure to check out the video :)

How do you recycle yours? I’ve been composting my used eggshells but I think I’d rather recycle them through my chickens instead
I use the term recycle meaning I feed the shell back to the chickens. I just drop on the ground, and step on them with my shoe. The shells disappear by the end of the day.
I know some peeps dry, and bake, and finely crush their shells. I have been doing the step-on method for always, and never had any issues with it. Including leading chickens to think it OK to eat their eggs. The only time I had an egg eaten, was when it got broken in the nest. The cause may have been too many eggs at one time, and chickens crowding each-other trying to get in.
It always seem that even though there are multiple nests, they all seem to want a certain one, or two.

It always seem that even though there are multiple nests, they all seem to want a certain one, or two.
I always find it humorous that I’ll put a pile for one chicken but then creat a pile of feed for another and another. They will abandon their own pile to take from the other chicken’s pile, worried the other chicken might have something better. I’ve concluded chickens are marxists.

thou shalt not covet thy neighbors nesting box.

thou shalt not covet thy neighbors nesting box.
There is a solution to the nesting-box dilemma. It is called a communal nesting box. Basically an over sized triple-wide one. :thumbsup

BTW, having multiple feed stations is not something new. It prevents much chicken miss-behaving.

I've had a broody hen for last few days- she won't come out of her nest box. I put her up to roost a couple nites ago. Then she is back in that nest box the next day. So I put her in a crate with a nest of eggs inside the coop area. She didn't go for that. But I think she's still going to end up in the regular nest box again.

I thought she might as well have a chance to hatch some eggs for me if she wants to. I might just let her stay in the nest box on some marked eggs I want her to hatch even though it's not the best place.

I've had a broody hen for last few days- she won't come out of her nest box. I put her up to roost a couple nites ago. Then she is back in that nest box the next day. So I put her in a crate with a nest of eggs inside the coop area. She didn't go for that. But I think she's still going to end up in the regular nest box again.

I thought she might as well have a chance to hatch some eggs for me if she wants to. I might just let her stay in the nest box on some marked eggs I want her to hatch even though it's not the best place.

Good luck with that. I tried that a couple years ago, and the rest of the flock ate the babies after they hatched.

Back
Top Bottom