Arizona Chickens

He hatched them in the same type of incubator that I have, a styrofoam Little Giant Still Air one. He just ordered a Nurture Right 360, and I want one of those too.
I bought one of those Nurture Right 360's but haven't tried it out yet. If the hatch under Mari fails, it'll be time to try it out.

Yesterday all the chickens got cold watermelon and cucumber to help them deal with the heat. Everybody went straight for the cucumber except Big Ben, who liked the watermelon. He's crowing right now, probably asking for more watermelon.

Thanks for the reminder. This would be a good week to use the solar oven.

I bought one of those Nurture Right 360's but haven't tried it out yet. If the hatch under Mari fails, it'll be time to try it out.

Yesterday all the chickens got cold watermelon and cucumber to help them deal with the heat. Everybody went straight for the cucumber except Big Ben, who liked the watermelon. He's crowing right now, probably asking for more watermelon.

Thanks for the reminder. This would be a good week to use the solar oven.
There are alot of plans for homemade solar cooker/ovens. I think I even have instruction for one rigged from a car sunshade.

If you have anything to dry (like herbs) this is a good time, just hang up in paper bag in protected location in case any winds or monsoon rains come. Praying for rain and for everyone and your animals to be safe from this heat.

I just found one of my Minorca hens with a bloodied head & comb last nite. Not sure if another chicken attacked or she had her head thru the fence for a predator. Roger also looked not quite himself on further observation so maybe he got a punch in on a predator? Hard to say. I know he likes to chase the Minorcas and they like to run.

I separated her last nite into a crate and cleaned her up with Vetricyn soaked baby wipe and it was slightly bleeding from a puncture on back of her neck. Her neck feathers looked like they had been wet and were a little crusty (like maybe dried saliva) which is why I suspect predator and not another chicken attacked. I covered the puncture and her comb wonds with EMT gel so flies or ants hopefully wouldn't get to them. I have her in a chicken tractor by herself right now. After her wounds are more healed I may put another Monorca in there so she has a friend if she'll be there a few days.

I just found one of my Minorca hens with a bloodied head & comb last nite. Not sure if another chicken attacked or she had her head thru the fence for a predator. Roger also looked not quite himself on further observation so maybe he got a punch in on a predator? Hard to say. I know he likes to chase the Minorcas and they like to run.

I separated her last nite into a crate and cleaned her up with Vetricyn soaked baby wipe and it was slightly bleeding from a puncture on back of her neck. Her neck feathers looked like they had been wet and were a little crusty (like maybe dried saliva) which is why I suspect predator and not another chicken attacked. I covered the puncture and her comb wonds with EMT gel so flies or ants hopefully wouldn't get to them. I have her in a chicken tractor by herself right now. After her wounds are more healed I may put another Monorca in there so she has a friend if she'll be there a few days.

If it was a predator, it might come back. I hope you will be able to find out and get to the bottom of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom