Arizona Chickens

I just found one of my Minorca hens with a bloodied head & comb last nite. Not sure if another chicken attacked or she had her head thru the fence for a predator. Roger also looked not quite himself on further observation so maybe he got a punch in on a predator? Hard to say. I know he likes to chase the Minorcas and they like to run.

I separated her last nite into a crate and cleaned her up with Vetricyn soaked baby wipe and it was slightly bleeding from a puncture on back of her neck. Her neck feathers looked like they had been wet and were a little crusty (like maybe dried saliva) which is why I suspect predator and not another chicken attacked. I covered the puncture and her comb wonds with EMT gel so flies or ants hopefully wouldn't get to them. I have her in a chicken tractor by herself right now. After her wounds are more healed I may put another Monorca in there so she has a friend if she'll be there a few days.
Minorca update... she is doing much better, but looks pretty rough...I think she will survive just fine. I'm still keeping her separate for a while so she doesn't get picked on.

Attachments

• 20210617_150144.jpg
    20210617_150144.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 4
Poor baby! Did you ever find out what happened?
No , I have no idea. I did find a couple of spots in the fenced run to fortify so will work on that this evening.

I am getting this Minorca to trust me enough to hold her every nite as I apply first aid and transfer her into a crate for the nite. All but one other Minorca are not very eager to be that close to me unless they are eating treats out of my hand.

@BlueBaby I think the blue NN pullet with the bowtie finally laid 2 very small cream/tinted eggs the last 2 days, the first eggs I've seen from her. The eggs were even smaller than the Polish eggs I get so I think she must just started to lay!

Yeah! More egg's for you! :celebrate

I just came back in the house from checking on the flock, and then walking out to check my mailbox when I seen something strange- an owl out flying in daylight! I'm wondering if it could have been searching for a new home after escaping one of those fire's that's going on? My flock doesn't free-range and the run is covered, so mine will be safe from it.

Yeah! More egg's for you! :celebrate

I just came back in the house from checking on the flock, and then walking out to check my mailbox when I seen something strange- an owl out flying in daylight! I'm wondering if it could have been searching for a new home after escaping one of those fire's that's going on? My flock doesn't free-range and the run is covered, so mine will be safe from it.
Wow - thanks this observation - sometimes we forget while we are thinking of the fire danger to ourselves that the wildlife is in danger too. Good to be on the lookout and think of the rolling impact/danger to our flocks.

Back
Top Bottom