Arizona Chickens

That is thier sex link trait (or maybe auto sexing trait - can't remember correct term right now). You can tell Barred Holland chicks close to right after hatching. @Parront chose the ones easiest to sex by color for me to breed when I got them from her at 1 month old. The males are lighter colored with more prevalent baring than females.

I didn't know they had a spot on their head to tell until I hatched them out myself. They weren't as easy to tell when Parront received the original chicks.
Barred Rocks have the same tell-tale spot. It helps to have your own hatch, I think it might be most noticeable then. By the time you are looking at a bin of them at someplace like Tractor Supply, they are probably all males! Knowing chickeneers have cherry picked out the pullets! ;)
The Welbars were really easy to tell, out of the box. Try & pick the boy in this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_6148.JPG
    IMG_6148.JPG
    696.7 KB · Views: 3
Plus, if there was a quality problem, where the jar/lid/ring didn't seal perfectly, how would you know?
The reviews on those jars just said that they did not seal reliably. When you can, you let the jars cool, then test the seal by pushing down on the lid. If the lid is firm and does not push down, or pop back up when you release your finger, it is sealed. If the lid presses in and out, not sealed and you put that jar in the frig and eat it first. It is ok if one jar does not seal, happens sometimes, but if a whole canner load did not seal, I would be pissed. Your choices would be: to either freeze the food, re-can it, or eat it all week. I would throw away all such jars I would be so mad at all that wasted effort! So I will just spend the extra money for the Ball jars.

So I have 2 gallon size freezer bags worth of baby food I'd made for the youngest and she won't eat it anymore. They're all frozen into 2 oz cubes and I thought it would be a nice frozen treat for the chickens. I gave them some of the broccoli and they devoured it quickly. The assortment I have is broccoli, cauliflower, purple/white/orange carrots, spaghetti squash, butternut squash with a pinch of cinnamon, and sweet potatoes. None of them have any salt or seasonings except the one with cinnamon.Are all of those ok for the chickens to eat? I don't want to waste it all throwing it out.

So I have 2 gallon size freezer bags worth of baby food I'd made for the youngest and she won't eat it anymore. They're all frozen into 2 oz cubes and I thought it would be a nice frozen treat for the chickens. I gave them some of the broccoli and they devoured it quickly. The assortment I have is broccoli, cauliflower, purple/white/orange carrots, spaghetti squash, butternut squash with a pinch of cinnamon, and sweet potatoes. None of them have any salt or seasonings except the one with cinnamon.Are all of those ok for the chickens to eat? I don't want to waste it all throwing it out.
All those are just fine. :thumbsup

I agree all should be fine - I wasn't sure about the cinnamon so I looked on ingredient list of a natural supplement powder and cinnamon is first ingredient. I'm sure you didn't put a ton of cinnamon in your baby food. It's a great idea to use that baby food for the chickens!

Attachments

• 20210804_151754.jpg
    20210804_151754.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 2
Chickens are a perfect waste food recycle unit! If it is not moldy, any left overs we do not want any more my chickens get it!

Back
Top Bottom