Arizona Chickens

Your hatchling meme looks like a baby turkey,,,, Popped head out,,, seen calendar,, and decided it was not safe. :gig

You actually have a few options you can take. Cook whole turkey,, and after you finish dinner, cut portions,,, and freeze. We do this all the time with meals. Then out of the freezer, and dinner instantly ready.

Second option: Cut turkey in half. Freeze half. and cook the other half. I know it may get challenging to cut a frozen turkey in half. It can be done.:thumbsup

Third option; Cook whole turkey,,, and invite additional peeps with hearty appetites. :highfive:
Might need a chainsaw to cut that frozen turkey in half, huh? :eek:

You will want much more ventilation than that for your coop. When cold, with that many chickens inside, you run the risk of moisture buildup which can cause frostbite. In the heat I imagine it won’t get used if the run is fully enclosed and predator proof. Also, vents for the nest boxes because it’s so hot in the summer. You may also want to consider an option for nest boxes in the run. With 1/4” HWC all around nothing will get in that’s big enough to eat your eggs.

Yeah, I needed to address the ventilation for sure. I've increased the size of the henhouse from 4'x6' to 6'x6' and changed the roost space from 12' to 18'. I added 11.5 feet of 4" ventilation along the tops of the north and south sides. That ventilation space has doors that can be opened or closed as needed. Keep in mind the top of the henhouse is removeable so we can slide it open for additional ventilation. I also added three 1.5" holes to each next box (holes will be covered with 1/4" hardware cloth). Air should be able to flow through all three next boxes now.

Your hatchling meme looks like a baby turkey,,,, Popped head out,,, seen calendar,, and decided it was not safe. :gig

You actually have a few options you can take. Cook whole turkey,, and after you finish dinner, cut portions,,, and freeze. We do this all the time with meals. Then out of the freezer, and dinner instantly ready.

Second option: Cut turkey in half. Freeze half. and cook the other half. I know it may get challenging to cut a frozen turkey in half. It can be done.:thumbsup

Third option; Cook whole turkey,,, and invite additional peeps with hearty appetites. :highfive:
And make turkey jerky for dog treats. They're family, too! :D

About 34 years ago, I cooked a 45 pound turkey. We had to take it to my grandma's house to use he big old stove to cook it as it would not fit into our oven, and it barely fit in hers . I took pictures, some day I will run across them and scan them into the computer

Years ago I went to a kitchen store and they had huge pizza pans marked down to only a few bucks. I bought one and took it home, thinking about the big pizza party I'd have. I made a pizza from scratch and went to put it in the oven, then found out why it was marked down. It was too big to fit into a regular household oven. I had to take the pizza off the pan and remake it into smaller ones so it would fit and ate pizza for about a week. So I can relate. :)

That sounds good. I figured I was going to have to get up extra early to get it started anyway.

We've already moved it from the freezer into the fridge so it can start defrosting. I hope it defrosts in time. We might end up having a Friday or Saturday Thanksgiving. 😳 I mean that wouldn't be a disaster or anything, it's just me and my housemate and the dogs but it'd still feel weird.
Weird's okay. You can give thanks for all you have no matter what day or if there's a turkey on the table or not. The hubs and I for years (our kids are scattered over the US, so no company to feed) had a tradition of having turkey sandwiches and then going for a long hike with the dog. We loved it. We still do have a hike, but before our meal. :) And then we eat leftover turkey for days, with some going for the freezer as well.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

I've been running around for the past few days trying to find us a turkey for Thanksgiving. Finally found one last night but it's 23 pounds. A 23 pound bird for two people! :th I have never cooked a turkey that big in my life.
I see lots of leftovers in your future!

Yeah, I needed to address the ventilation for sure. I've increased the size of the henhouse from 4'x6' to 6'x6' and changed the roost space from 12' to 18'. I added 11.5 feet of 4" ventilation along the tops of the north and south sides. That ventilation space has doors that can be opened or closed as needed. Keep in mind the top of the henhouse is removeable so we can slide it open for additional ventilation. I also added three 1.5" holes to each next box (holes will be covered with 1/4" hardware cloth). Air should be able to flow through all three next boxes now.
Good idea for the top! Sounds like you’ve got it covered.
My ducks don’t use the coop, preferring to sleep out in the yard under the shrubs. Maybe I should get a few chickens and put it to use lol.

Another timely meme. 😁

257486791_4644528088942574_7093280185010248027_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom