Arizona Chickens

Well, we're making progress. Today is Roof Decking and possibly fascia boards--we'll see. We're definitely not as young as we were.

The building is 10 x 12, but the far end will have a divider wall blocking off a 3 ft strip for garden tools--has its own door on that end. We're not as young as we used to be, that's for sure! :p

I'm the unofficial household painter, so this week will be priming and painting.

I ordered chicks from Cackle yesterday, just to have a start. As some retire, I'll bring home chicks from Cal Ranch or TSC. They're all just common brown eggers, and they'll be here in late April.
101_2289.JPG

Well, we're making progress. Today is Roof Decking and possibly fascia boards--we'll see. We're definitely not as young as we were.

The building is 10 x 12, but the far end will have a divider wall blocking off a 3 ft strip for garden tools--has its own door on that end. We're not as young as we used to be, that's for sure! :p

I'm the unofficial household painter, so this week will be priming and painting.

I ordered chicks from Cackle yesterday, just to have a start. As some retire, I'll bring home chicks from Cal Ranch or TSC. They're all just common brown eggers, and they'll be here in late April. View attachment 2962271
that'll be a very nice house for the birds! just remember the 1 sq ft minimum ventilation per bird, well above their backs while they roost.

Although solstice was 12/21, that day the sunrise/set were 7:31 and 5:22. Sunrise keeps happening later and later, but finally sunrise happened at 7:36, and lately, 7:35. apparently in response to that, my third bird resumed laying. She had been completely done with her molt, and I guess the sunset happening later didn't matter much to her. Just one more bird to resume laying and I'll have my full production again, no more rationing eggs!

Do any of you freeze eggs in the summer to prepare for the slow down/stoppage in the winter? I eat four eggs & a half lb of sausage every morning for breakfast, the hubs has eggs on some weekends, and I use them in a couple recipes through the week. So no need to fry them, but my math says I need 35 or so eggs a week.

If you have frozen them, how did you do it, and how do they work out in recipes?

Do any of you freeze eggs in the summer to prepare for the slow down/stoppage in the winter? I eat four eggs & a half lb of sausage every morning for breakfast, the hubs has eggs on some weekends, and I use them in a couple recipes through the week. So no need to fry them, but my math says I need 35 or so eggs a week.

If you have frozen them, how did you do it, and how do they work out in recipes?
I have read,, (not done myself) of eggs being frozen. They were broken open, and placed into Cupcake pans. When frozen solid, then placed into baggies like little frozen pucks. Since you use 4 eggs at a time. maybe you can get some paper cups, and do 4 in each,,,,, and freeze.
Another option to keep eggs for extended time,,, is called Water glassing. Here is a link so you can read more about it. There is another link floating around in the forums,, but I had an easy way to access this one. I can find second link if I search some more.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/water-glassing-egg-preservation-experiment.1428588/

Just wanted to mention,,, the water glassed eggs were successful, but peeps did state the eggs were preferred scrambled, over other ways. Maybe the yolks were not as firm to make sunny side up???

Back
Top Bottom