Arizona Chickens

These meteorologists really need to work on their accuracy. Missed storms, actual storms that weren't forecast, forecast of 89 degrees when it hits or even tops 99....
I've been constantly researching weather stations (for months actually). I'm just window shopping for when I have extra cash (never). Some of them have barometers and will give you forecasts based on rising/dropping barometer.

Also the wunderground.com gives you a lot of data on surrounding people's weather stations that have chosen to share data on web - there are hundreds in my area. Main reason I'm not spending money on one right now.

We also saw lightning and heard thunder... even saw rain in the distance...but no rain for us. :(

rain in sunset lo res no arrow.jpg

I asked this question in the feed & water section, but it may be more appropriate here. With the dryness we have out here (and the heat, obviously) what is your preferred way to provide water for your chickens?

We were thinking of only getting 2-3 hens. Saw this at Cal-Ranch and thought it might be a good option?? What do you think?

Attachments

• waterer lo res.jpg
    waterer lo res.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 1
I asked this question in the feed & water section, but it may be more appropriate here. With the dryness we have out here (and the heat, obviously) what is your preferred way to provide water for your chickens?

We were thinking of only getting 2-3 hens. Saw this at Cal-Ranch and thought it might be a good option?? What do you think?
I haven't tried that one.

For drinking water for my flock, I'm using those baby goat feeder thing's. I took of the metal top part of it off and set it up on cement block's to keep it high enough off the ground that they can't throw or kick dirt up into it. My chicken run has those used horse panels as it's framing, so the baby goat trough is hooked over the bar on the inside with the cement blocks under it. It seems to be working like that, and they figured out that it was something to drink out of right away. It's easy enough to top off the water as needed with a hose.

I've not tried that one either. I have some ($$-$$$) poultry waterers (from 3-5 gallons) and switch them up sometimes with a rubber feed ($) bowl or a ($) mortar tub from home improvement store. I also have some dishpans that I use for sole roosters in thier own pen if I don't have anything else. All these work but the smaller bowls or dishpans can easily get overturned especially with multiple chickens. I've also used the galvanized double walled poultry fount ($$$) and water is a little cooler I guess.

If you only get 2-3 hens I would just get a plastic poultry waterer. You have to clean them if any algae starts growing - keep it in shade and algae grow slower. Also scrub out biofilm (like backwash) even if you can't see algae.

the plastic poultry waterers are sort of like this
1656282121468.png

Key
$: cheaper
$$$: most expensive

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom