Arizona Chickens

I am heartbroken and furious!! I just found that our dog killed one of our chickens! She was my favorite chicken out of the 5 I have. She followed me everywhere.

I am beside myself in anger at my dog for having done this. He has been fine with them since we have had them. He was a rescue and is food aggressive but there was no food out for him to "protect." I was just going out to close the run since they'd gone to roost so it just happened. I had been watching the chickens through the window just minutes earlier-- all 5 accounted for. I am soo mad at my dog!!

I am heartbroken and furious!! I just found that our dog killed one of our chickens! She was my favorite chicken out of the 5 I have. She followed me everywhere.

I am beside myself in anger at my dog for having done this. He has been fine with them since we have had them. He was a rescue and is food aggressive but there was no food out for him to "protect." I was just going out to close the run since they'd gone to roost so it just happened. I had been watching the chickens through the window just minutes earlier-- all 5 accounted for. I am soo mad at my dog!!
I know that some people insist on free-ranging no matter what, but if your flock and the dog are out there at the same time, it will more then likely happen again. Maybe if you are going to free-range, you can make sure that your dog is in the house at that time so that it won't happen again?

I know that some people insist on free-ranging no matter what, but if your flock and the dog are out there at the same time, it will more then likely happen again. Maybe if you are going to free-range, you can make sure that your dog is in the house at that time so that it won't happen again?
Absolutely! I was having the dog out there to deter hawks but won't be doing that anymore for sure! As it is, the chickens would only be let out for an hour or so before sunset typically. He will never be allowed out with them again.

Absolutely! I was having the dog out there to deter hawks but won't be doing that anymore for sure! As it is, the chickens would only be let out for an hour or so before sunset typically. He will never be allowed out with them again.
Sometimes you have to learn as you go. Sorry that you lost your favorite hen in the process.

Sorry about the loss of your hen. But the dog was only doing what dogs do. Maybe let the dog out when the chickens are enclosed, or even have separate areas. Dogs are big killers of chickens, especially one's own dogs, unfortunately. Again, sorry for your loss.

How sad! I'm so sorry that happened. :(

I’m so sorry. I agree we learn as we go, and your dog simply did what comes naturally. Chickens are prey and dogs are predators. Dogs are more civilized now, but they haven’t lost their instincts.

I have two yards. A small one for the dogs and the big one for the chickens. The dogs never go in the big yard when the chickens are out.

So sorry about your dog and chicken- I have the same problem. Here's what I have to do --

One dog goes after chickens and another older dog who grew up with my first flock gets along fine with chickens.

I have 2 sections fenced in my yard to keep the DOGS separate because 2 together unsupervised would be a disaster. I can have a chicken tractor in the area with my older dog. I have to put instructions for the dog sitter (when I'm traveling for work) to make sure the one dog never goes in that chicken tractor area. Dog sitter instructions don't just have the dog name but a description in case of a new dog sitter sent by the company.

I won't elaborate or comment further on this but just want to WARN you - if you live in an area monopolized by one hospital system. I think they will have to work this out soon and my faith does not lie in the healthcare system.

Not sure how this is legal but - Got 1 day's notice that our BCBS insurance is good for nothing but emergency care (as of today) at the only hospital in Yavapai county, (owned by) Dignity Health. This affects a majority of public employees in our county halfway thru insurance plan year. BCBS and Dignity Health evidently aren't making enough money to fulfill their contractual obligations to policy holders without making us pay huge out-of pocket for anything other than emergency care at Dignity Health (Yav Regional Med Ctr).

Thanks, everyone, for your sympathies. I had the hardest time sleeping last night for thinking about my lovely gal. She's the one on my lap in my avatar.

Now when I let the girls out, I'll have to worry about hawks, but no way is the dog going to be out again with the chickens. The dog never showed aggression before towards the girls, and never chased them. (photo)

It may seem crazy, but now I am worried he might be as unpredictable toward our indoor cat. I feel like I can't trust him anymore.

Attachments

• 20220922_182059 lo res.jpg
    20220922_182059 lo res.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom