Arizona Chickens

How long does the tarp take to kill that patch?
Not sure... it's our first time trying it. I'd imagine the hotter and sunnier it gets, the quicker it will kill them. I should've started doing it when the weeds were just starting to come up. We just got busy with family visiting and with work, etc., so we let them go for too long.

What about leeks ? I have the green part you’re not supposed to use leftover from making leek soup lol. I am still building my pallet compost pile
I wouldn't intentionally give them anything onion related, but if they have an option like if they are working on a compost pile with variety in it then I wouldn't worry too much if there's a few onions. They can pick what they want like the guy at EdibleAcres on YT shows - his compost system is bigger than all ousr put together, though, I would bet, so lots of variety.

That sounds so yummy! I might have to try it too! I think I have sliced ham at home lol. For sandwiches
That's the type of ham that she used. It was that longer sliced lunch meat ham. Dry it off with paper towel, so that the cream cheese will spread on it better, and then roll up a green onion in it. You can make up a batch of them, and put them in a covered container in the fridge. Good to snack on, or add to your parties snack table.

I wouldn't intentionally give them anything onion related, but if they have an option like if they are working on a compost pile with variety in it then I wouldn't worry too much if there's a few onions. They can pick what they want like the guy at EdibleAcres on YT shows - his compost system is bigger than all ousr put together, though, I would bet, so lots of variety.
Got it! No leeks for the monsters. They got into some when i wasn’t looking but now they just want anything green lmao so I have to keep that bits put up until my compost pile is finished and I can toss it in.

All I need is someone to basically nail some pallets together for me and lash the door on with paracord. Normally I’d do it myself but I am having an RA flare up

That's the type of ham that she used. It was that longer sliced lunch meat ham. Dry it off with paper towel, so that the cream cheese will spread on it better, and then roll up a green onion in it. You can make up a batch of them, and put them in a covered container in the fridge. Good to snack on, or add to your parties snack table.
Awesome! I’ll make some today! Since I have so many green onions lolol and they will grow back within the week when I’m not looking.

Got it! No leeks for the monsters. They got into some when i wasn’t looking but now they just want anything green lmao so I have to keep that bits put up until my compost pile is finished and I can toss it in.

All I need is someone to basically nail some pallets together for me and lash the door on with paracord. Normally I’d do it myself but I am having an RA flare up
Watch the paracord. Chickens will try to eat it.

Do you have a photo of any of your grow out pens? Would love to see.
These were made from pet playpen panels. They're removable as they clip into place, but I tend to just open them up when not in use.

Closed with a grate covering the baby sized doors.
20230329_154819.jpg

Close up of baby doors.
20230329_154911.jpg

And fully opened when not using to integrate chicks.
20230329_154956.jpg

All my grow out pens look about the same. Always part of its wind sheltered, usually under the nest boxes. Completely removable but usually just locked open when not using. And a grate that can be added or removed to open or close the baby doors.

Here's one in a banty coop.
Closed with baby doors open.
20230329_154448.jpg

Baby doors closed
20230329_154542.jpg

Close up of doors.
20230329_154500.jpg

Not in use it's folded open. The white pieces of wood swing up and down to hold or release the panels.
20230329_154412.jpg

I thought I heard the beginnings of a broody type clucking out there this morning, so I just got done setting the broody breaker cage back up so that there will be peace in the nesting boxes in the coop if there is one.
Yep, I heard right and the broody is now in the broody cage. It's like my chick's grow out pen, but without the hardware cloth wire attached to it.

Back
Top Bottom