Arizona Chickens

They don't want any more. I'd love to have a pet chicken but I have 3 dogs that wouldn't be very happy with me getting a chicken. I really love and enjoy my next-door neighbor's chickens and rooster. I get to enjoy them without doing all the work. I have fibromyalgia and it would be too much for me. They're so fun to have as neighbors!! I'll have to get a picture of them soon and post it.
I have Fibro and RA! I totally understand where you think it would be too much for you to have chickens! BUT as long as you're not alone they are an amazing reason to get up out of bed. It's one of the main reasons i'm up early in the morning and moving around. I'll get you pics of my babies soon <3 That way you have more chickens to enjoy! I know it's not the same but you can see all the monsters and know that one day IF you ever want one, you too can enjoy having chickens of your own <3

So we are introducing our house chicken with the girls outside since she is the only one inside and we feel it's not fair on her to be a house hen. Today was the first day. We let them roam the garage and house together. There was two small squabbles, but we are going to do this every morning for an hour for the next few weeks until they are ready to go together outside. I am so happy that the girls are already accepting our little one in their own way without anything majorly scary.

I know you're not supposed to introduce one hen into a flock but it's a flock of three, They used to have one more but my little Boba had a heart condition and passed away from it. She's just a little bit smaller then my Barred Rock and the same size as my EE's and has just started laying three days ago. Fingers crossed they let her in completely so that she has a flock of her own. We just want what is best for our baby house hen.

I've heard that with those plastic owls that you need to move them around and not leave them in the same spot all of the time or the hawks will get used to knowing where it is at.
Yes. I heard that too. This one is solar too so it'll rotate it's head and can make noise if I turn it on.
It's 68F outside and 82F inside right now (this house has... issues). My Norwegian genes shut down above 80F. I'm not ready for spring! We're working on setting up something in the back room to help keep me cool but it's a work in progress.
You sound like my dear husband, lol! I tease him about his Norwegian blood since it's never too cold for him. :p

Yes. I heard that too. This one is solar too so it'll rotate it's head and can make noise if I turn it on.
My opinion on the plastic owls is described in pix below.
Hawk.JPG

I have no shortage of hawks in my area. I keep my chickens safe by having a pretty secure run area. When I am outdoors, I will let them free-range in the open yard.
Another thing that I noticed, and took note of,,,,, The hawks seemed to come/fly by on a certain daily time schedule. It was not exact, but generally similar times. Then they moved on further on their way.
Only thing that I read as successful to keep hawks away,, are these funny looking kites, that are mounted on tall poles. (tethered)
Those kites also scare the chickens even more. Just cant win, :barnie
If someone has property, that kite can be placed out of chickens' sight, but visible to incoming hawks,,,,,, than it should be fine.
I do have a Plastic owl,, that I place as décor on my patio.

View attachment 3451185

I have no shortage of hawks in my area. I keep my chickens safe by having a pretty secure run area. When I am outdoors, I will let them free-range in the open yard.
Another thing that I noticed, and took note of,,,,, The hawks seemed to come/fly by on a certain daily time schedule. It was not exact, but generally similar times. Then they moved on further on their way.
Only thing that I read as successful to keep hawks away,, are these funny looking kites, that are mounted on tall poles. (tethered)
If someone has property, that kite can be placed out of chickens' sight, but visible to incoming hawks,,,,,, than it should be fine.
So a plastic owl is a hawk roosting spot?

View attachment 3451185

Yes. I've seen mixed reviews and opinions. I figured it won't hurt but may help. I suspect few people with owls bother to move them frequently. Seeing a hawk perch 15' from the run made me want to try something.

I looked up Naked Neck Turken chicken breed and I think the 2 red chickens without feathers on their necks are that breed. I read that one of their traits is 'escape artist' and one of them is an escape artist for sure. She can't escape now that they have a proper coop but before they had the coop she escaped on a daily basis from where they were kept. She would escape and go lay her eggs on the loveseat the neighbors have on their front porch. Then she'd go climb back in the pen. I always got the biggest kick out of her doing that.

Back
Top Bottom