porter turkeys, to make awesome colors that they dont sell at
feed stores, working the color genetics to make some neat colors
also will have pure breed turkeys but also will have crosses of neat
colors, i have gather 5 turkey eggs this week
like sweetgrass turkeys is going to be one of my creations
for 2011, more mottled chocolate turkeys, auburn turkeys
royal palm, blue slate, hopefully some blue palms
or chocolate palms, maybe for next year the penciled palm also

Yes We process Our own birds usually the extra Roos that nobody wants. When I was a kid We would raise 100 meat birds every year & processs after 8 weeks that was a job. but 4 or 5 at a time is no problem.

Quote:
They are beautiful!

Speaking of Miracles they still do happen.

I have 7 due today under a broody.

I never candled once so I have no idea what was alive and what wasn't.

I had given up a few days ago (reason being she was in a corner nest in the coop, I walked into the coop and she was in the wrong nest on golf balls and all of her eggs were cold... I immediately put her back on her eggs but figured they were all dead)....and so I planned on buying 2 or 3 day old chicks from a feed store to put under her on Friday.

Tonight I go out to candle and put all the dead eggs into a sack and throw them in the garbage and to replace them with golf balls... so the first egg I pick up (a marans) starts chirping at me and I can see a nice big pip! So realizing I had just opened up the bator, I quickly put it back under her, pointy side down and walked out.

I should have known something was happening because she really pecked my hand hard when I went to go under her... she has sat very still for the last three days so I imagine she was in lockdown....

Can't wait till tomorrow morning!

Even if she only gets one chick, I'll be happy. And I'm gonna name that little Marans.. "Miracle"

Quote:
I wish I could raise my own meat birds. The 6 hens I have in my tiny backyard are already pushing it, though. I've tried convincing my parents to let me do it on their property, but they annexed into Gilbert and are no longer a county island so it's technically not allowed anymore and they're paranoid about rules. I've even scoped out places around my house to see if someone will let me use some land they're not going to miss but nothing fits. Someday...
fl.gif

Quote:
I wish I could raise my own meat birds. The 6 hens I have in my tiny backyard are already pushing it, though. I've tried convincing my parents to let me do it on their property, but they annexed into Gilbert and are no longer a county island so it's technically not allowed anymore and they're paranoid about rules. I've even scoped out places around my house to see if someone will let me use some land they're not going to miss but nothing fits. Someday...
fl.gif

Me too! I keep thinking about different friends and neighbors I could ask. I think my small property is just about right for 6 chickens, but a flock of meaties would be a bit much.

I was so destroyed by what y'all had to say about the Delawares! They were at the top of my list if I ever expand my flock. Are they really that annoying?

Good luck Mahonri with hatching miracles!

mahalo4, I loved those exquisite eggs!

turkeybreeder, good luck with your breeding projects. Of all the poultry we raised when I was growing up, turkeys were my favorite.

Hello kristy and Dakoda from Desert Hills!
frow.gif

ca, wonderful pics! Were the three white birds with black feathering around the neck and tail your Delawares? How old are they?

TT!, I think this is the perfect time to practice your processing skills and release the carnivore inside!

I was thinking about going to the feed barn & buying some of their meat birds they have some 5 week olds for 6 dollars each about the same price as shipped chicks good savings & only 3 weeks of feeding left.

Quote:
Gallo, they are Delawares
big_smile.png
. They were 12 weeks (couple weeks ago when I took the pics). They are growing fastest of all birds I have, which will make them my prefered meat suppliers if they do well in the summer heat (testing comming up in a few months). Although mine are trying to eat my shoes as well when I get into the coop I don't find it annoying at all. They are just looking for a handout. They are absolutely not shy (which I love) and lead others to food sources because they are so adventurous and seem to be pretty smart as well. I have not had any instances of them destroying anything or being mean to other chickens. If they can cope with the heat, I will absolutely keep them.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom